Author Topic: The End of Nintendo?  (Read 3155 times)

Offline onthinice

• View Profile
Re: The End of Nintendo?
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2013, 10:19:56 AM »
Quote from: "Shadowrunner"
Quote from: "TrekMD"
Quote from: "onthinice"
I think Nintendo should release new games for all of their old systems. Wonder if the big N knows, retro is the wave of the future.

Wouldn't that be an interesting move?!?

Not a bad idea really, send Reggie an email  :78:

Offline Alberto 2K

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2013, 12:53:26 PM »
I've been reading Nintendo's fall for several years but I don't think it's going to happen soon. They have IPs which sell millions in a heartbeat. If they release a new Metroid I will think about buying a Wii-U, until that I'll wait.

For me makes less sense to release consoles like PS4 or the new XBox, they don't add anyhting new that a PC couldn't offer with improved graphics, Nintendo at least offer something different, maybe for grandpas and kids but something different.
Don't be surprised, my broken English is legendary!

Offline Fin

• View Profile
    • http://www.finthegeek.com
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2013, 17:45:00 PM »
Quote from: "Alberto 2K"
For me makes less sense to release consoles like PS4 or the new XBox, they don't add anyhting new that a PC couldn't offer with improved graphics, Nintendo at least offer something different, maybe for grandpas and kids but something different.

I agree, but with more companies creating more and more ways of interfacing with machines I am curious how long they can be seen to be relevant.

They no longer bring anything overally unique to the party in terms of hardware for me.

Especially when you look at smart phones interactive with Xbox Live, things like Google Glass etc....

There software will be around forever though.

Offline onthinice

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2013, 03:07:31 AM »
End of Nintendo?

Laird loves his Wii!

DreamcastRIP loves the Wii U!

With that kind of fanbase, Nintendo will never die! :71:

Offline DreamcastRIP

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2013, 08:27:32 AM »
@ Laird:

:21:
Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

guest4770

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2013, 09:09:34 AM »

Offline Shadowrunner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2013, 17:26:13 PM »
Quote from: "slacey1070"
Ninty may have used and abused its past for many years, however does anyone have a stronger IP then Ninty? And thats worth a fortune.

Worth a fortune indeed! Especially if they stopped making hardware and just made games for all other platforms. Unfortunately I just don't see that happening. Nintendo's pride is too big and to stop making hardware would be to admit defeat.

Offline DreamcastRIP

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2013, 01:13:07 AM »
Quote from: "Shadowrunner"
Worth a fortune indeed! Especially if they stopped making hardware and just made games for all other platforms. Unfortunately I just don't see that happening. Nintendo's pride is too big and to stop making hardware would be to admit defeat.

Taking the blip that was Wii out of the equation, anyone seeing a trend in total sales figures here?

62m (NES)
49m (SNES)
33m (N64)
22m (GameCube
<4m (Wii U, so far)

(Source: VG Chartz - IF they're to be believed, which in the case of the NES figures is in doubt)

The one-off blip that was Wii excepted every single Nintendo home console has sold markedly fewer units than the one preceeding it despite the videogaming market as a whole having dramatically grown in size throughout all those years.

The numbers don't lie. We've been looking at a company whose home console business has been in a consistent and sustained decline even since they followed up on the NES.

I agree that while Satoru Iwata remains at the helm we're unlikely to see Nintendo exit the home console business as a home console manufacturer. However, if Wii U sales don't pick up and if the following Ninty home console fails commercially too it would be hard to envisage Nintendo's board and shareholders keeping faith with Iwata... with the company being effectively forced into releasing its games on other platforms come the PS5/PS6 generation of consoles.
Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Offline Shadowrunner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2013, 17:21:03 PM »
Good point!  In the end it's up to the shareholders to decide and they're going to go where the money is, and it's not in hardware.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk