So I did some writing for some Amiga games

Started by Bobinator, May 17, 2013, 23:14:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobinator

So, I run this blog about games and other stuff from the 90's. I hadn't updated in a while, but lately I've had enough free time I felt like putting some posts of it up. I did a couple of Amiga games, with a third on the way. One's interesting, if generally too difficult to really get far into, and the other one just sucks on ice.

Here's a link. I just figure I'd put it up, since so many people around here are more used to the Amiga than I am. Tell me what you think!

zapiy

Nice stuff fella. You review of Body Blows is cutting but probably about right. I have find memories of the game that are probably unrealistic these days. It's a game I have not played in a long time and now I must go and try it and see if my memories need to be updated lol.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

MadCommodore

The Amiga 1000/500 technology suffered in a similar way, but to a much lesser extent, as the old Atari 400/800 series of 8 bit computers. Very very few games ever achieved anything like the full potential of the chipset in hardware design. In both cases this is down to sheer complexity. Apart from the Jaguar and Saturn I can't think of another machine as complex to get the best out of the hardware in an audio visual sense.

Now putting that aside and given the average wage (well I can only speak for the UK here) at £25 a pop for games there were enough to keep most people happy from 1986 onwards.

I plan on doing a chronological highlight of games that either brought the best arcade experience into the home of any console/computer version released (this is really rare) or excellent games that not only did what they intended to do but pushed the machine so hard it would mean the SNES or Megadrive versions of these excellent games would turn out inferior or at best almost as good as the Amiga version (at 200% of the price being cartridges were £50).

What you have to remember is that the Americans ignored the machine and so much of the software was from unprofessional UK software houses with a very low expectation of the machine's hardware and hence so many games that were released being technically underwhelming even if they played well.

Ultimately the story of Amiga is a very sad one, and nothing like the two fingers up at the surviving Apple and Wintel products around today the the Commodore 64 seems to have upheld for an extraordinarily long and successful product lifespan. It took half a decade to get 1 million Amigas into the marketplace, sad but true for the machine that invented multi-media and OS sophistication wrapped in a reliable and user friendly front end from the day of release.