The Sega Game Gear Thread

Started by TL, May 15, 2013, 19:31:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TL

We didn't have one of these so I thought I would start one.

It also gives me a chance to plug my new video  :4:

So here we go, it's a lot shorter than the Lynx one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyHYIID5Dw8

Rogue Trooper

Great vid Laird.

Did love my G.Gear at the time, but it was a mother for going through batteries, plus as you say, appalling screen, blur central!.Seemed odd how folks would moan at size of the Lynx, yet i was putting the MS convertor and also the screen enlargement lens on mine, both of which made the device damn hefty for long periods of playing time.

Loved GG Shinobi, Sonic 1, Lemmings, etc on it.

Little bit harsh perhaps to knock the libary being MS ports in the main, as by it's very design that was always going to happen.PC Engine GT going to get 'The Vid' treatment?

Huge a fan of the Lynx as i am, it too played host to so many games that were avaiable on other systems:Toki, Paperboy, Hard drivin, Steel Talons, Pitfighter, Rampage, Roadblasters, SOTB, Switchblade 2, D.Strike, Super Off road, Toki, APB, Klax etc and yet it lacked something of it's own to really combat Shinobi or Sonic.

Off top of my head Lynx exclusives that really did it for me:Blue Lightning, Crystal Mines 2, Dracula, but the rest, were honestly just superb versions of games i could or had played elsewhere.

i bought my G.G when i was an ST owner and fact it could play MS games as well as G.G games made it the choice over the MS, already had 1 gaming device plugged into TV, was'nt looking for another to sit alongside (how different that is now with every plug taken, lol)

Greyfox

I really enjoyed it.. he's getting good at the video lark.. but again they lack video game play or any visual elaboration on the faults would of been welcomed..again constructive comments, to do these videos takes allot of time and effort and good software and what Laird has done is fantastic so far..so thumbs up from me :)

excellent video.

TL

Quote from: "Rogue Trooper"Little bit harsh perhaps to knock the libary being MS ports in the main, as by it's very design that was always going to happen.PC Engine GT going to get 'The Vid' treatment?

I don't have one, so no sorry! I wish I did though!

I have already been asked to do a Nomad one, same answer.

Rogue Trooper

Think Game Gear exclusives like Shining Force, Defenders Of Oasis and Phantasy Star Gaiden ought to be mentioned, was'nt all just MS ports.

Personally don't think you need gameplay footage for a 15 min video, Laid does superb job of talking you through the system as is.

Greyfox

Quote from: "The Laird"
Quote from: "Rogue Trooper"Little bit harsh perhaps to knock the libary being MS ports in the main, as by it's very design that was always going to happen.PC Engine GT going to get 'The Vid' treatment?

Maybe do a Darran Jones and ask if someone has one of whatever machine you want to review, donate one to be returned of course..surely you know lots of guys that would?

TL

Quote from: "Rogue Trooper"Think Game Gear exclusives like Shining Force, Defenders Of Oasis and Phantasy Star Gaiden ought to be mentioned, was'nt all just MS ports.

Personally don't think you need gameplay footage for a 15 min video, Laid does superb job of talking you through the system as is.

I hate RPGs, so didn't even think of those.

Rogue Trooper

Well, SoniC Blast, Triple Trouble, Labyrinth, Tails adventure, Sky Patrol, 2 Sonic Drifts came out on G.G 1st then MS i think.

Also there was G.G Aleste, Mega Man, Panzer dragon Mini, Ronald Mc Donald.

Plus seen global sales of G.G put around 8.65 Million, of which only 1.78 Million are put down to Japan, despite it having more exclusives released there.

Rogue Trooper

Quote from: "Greyfox"
Quote from: "The Laird"

Maybe do a Darran Jones and ask if someone has one of whatever machine you want to review, donate one to be returned of course..surely you know lots of guys that would?

GT only plays PC Engine carts does it not? was there ever anything written specifically for the portable exp.?

108 Stars

Nice vid, and vailid points although naturally I have to disagree on the library's quality. :)
Systems owned: Atari 2600, Lynx, Jaguar, NES, SNES, N64, GameBoy, Master System, Mega Drive, Dreamcast, Game Gear, PlayStation, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable, Xbox, Wonderswan

Rogue Trooper

Just remembered Prince Of Persia on G.G.I'd originally played the St version, never took to it, but bought G.G version on a whim and was hooked, so there indeed was a case of it did'nt matter it was'nt an exclusive, it just seemed tto work better on G.G for some reason.

Plus sure Lynx would have benifitted from any/all of the following appearing on it:

Alien 3, EWJ, Jungle strike, Lion King, Madden, fifa, Micro Machines, the MK games, Prince Of Persia, Road Rash, Super Kick Off.

We can mistfully look at games that were planned for Lynx, but never made it, but in cold light of day, G.Gear just had the far wider selection of games people wanted.

With Nintendo capturing so much of the developers market as they had, SEGA did great to get 3rd party support they did for G.G.

108 Stars

Quote from: "Rogue Trooper"Just remembered Prince We can mistfully look at games that were planned for Lynx, but never made it, but in cold light of day, G.Gear just had the far wider selection of games people wanted.

With Nintendo capturing so much of the developers market as they had, SEGA did great to get 3rd party support they did for G.G.

That's the thing.
Now beside Atari Germany not promoting the Lynx much, even if they had done more ads etc, it just lacked the games we as kids wanted back then. Only now am I able to appreciate the relatively unknown Lynx exclusives. And the big names the Lynx had were mostly old back then already...in the early 90ies you could not get masses of kids to get excited about Ms.Pac-Man or Joust. We wanted Street Fighter, MK, FIFA and all those big names. And of course licensed stuff, from comics to TV series ans movie licenses.
Systems owned: Atari 2600, Lynx, Jaguar, NES, SNES, N64, GameBoy, Master System, Mega Drive, Dreamcast, Game Gear, PlayStation, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable, Xbox, Wonderswan

TrekMD

There's that English guy again!  Boy, does he like to make videos.  ;)

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

TL

Quote from: "108 Stars"Jump' n runs like Sonic Triple Trouble, Legend of Illusion, Dynamite Headdy, Tails Adventure and Ristar did not come out on the SMS.