Atari Lynx - Console Review!

Started by TL, May 11, 2013, 22:04:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zapiy

Great stuff fella..

Always good to hear a fanboys thoughts lol....

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

DreamcastRIP

Great video, Laird. Here's hoping it encourages some folk to get themselves a Lynx because, as you said in the video, those who already own one know what a great console it was.

I was one of those people who paid the full £179.99 launch price for a Lynx back in the day, haha!

Well said re: the prevailing perception on teh internets of the Lynx and the NES. Damn you for letting facts get in the way of the retarded received wisdoms of teh internets!

P.S. Lynx doesn't have rubberised grips underneath like Lynx II has! :10:
Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

TL

Glad you liked it!

It's got a great reception and even the highly respected Curt Vendel and Marty Goldberg messaged me to tell me that they thought my review was excellent.

:16:

TrekMD

Quote from: "The Laird"Glad you liked it!

It's got a great reception and even the highly respected Curt Vendel and Marty Goldberg messaged me to tell me that they thought my review was excellent.

:113:

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Gorf

Yikes! That was painful.....not the review which was excellent mind you but having to listen to Laird for almost 40 bloody frigging minutes!  :4:)

Gorf

Quote from: "DreamcastRIP"Great video, Laird. Here's hoping it encourages some folk to get themselves a Lynx because, as you said in the video, those who already own one know what a great console it was.

I was one of those people who paid the full £179.99 launch price for a Lynx back in the day, haha!

Well said re: the prevailing perception on teh internets of the Lynx and the NES. Damn you for letting facts get in the way of the retarded received wisdoms of teh internets!

P.S. Lynx doesn't have rubberised grips underneath like Lynx II has! :10:

Paid $149.00 US

Xenophobe as my fist game with a bud...we got home and lynxed up the two Lynx's and played for about 9 hours till we beat the friggin crap out of the game( Actually in all truth it kicked our asses were it not for the continues.)

Gorf

Quote from: "Rogue Trooper"
Quote from: "The Laird"It's a long one but a very good one!  :113:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbBmDdhVK0I

Only watched 1st ten mins so far dude, but i'm in awe of your games collection behind you in that vid.

:-) Personally never seen the Lynx as a 'true' 16-Bit system myself, more of a hybrid, same way i view PC Engine, having said that...systems like the Lynx and PC Engine make a mockery of the whole 'Bittage' aspect anyway as the GPU's etc so powerful and you've only to look at the stunning games the Lynx pulled off to see the power it had.

Great points about ATARI listening to focus groups, i still wonder why they went with this 'research' as they must have questioned how making it so big would effect the whole portability aspect of the machine and pushed up costs-more raw materials needed, bigger die sets etc etc.also, how under appreciated the improved battery life of the MK II was, in an age where todays systems like the 3DS and Vita still struggle with the performance to battery life hit, improvements ATARI made are not to be sniffed at.

Bitness should be based on where the machine is moving the most of its data, not the main CPU. What good
is a 64 bit CPU if the rest of the system, including the bus is only 32 bits(N6Whore). Where as with the Jaguar,
the powerhouses are true 64 bits and the CPU's are only telling those powerhouses what to do. You do not need
64 bit math or 64 bits of command to the 64 bit powerhouses, just a true 64 bit bus with the main processing
powerhouses processing in 64 bits...for this reason the Jaguar is truly 64 bits. Same with the lynx....so what
the 6502 is only 8 bits, the chips that do all the work and the bus are 16 bits.

It's like riding a highway that starts out at 8 lanes and opens up to 16...or in the Jaguar's case having 16 lanes
opening up to 32 lanes all the way to 64 lanes. The N6Whore starts out at 64 lanes and drops down to a seriously traffic jammed 32 lanes.