Author Topic: Homebrew Heroes - A Special Collectors Edition Magazine  (Read 8778 times)

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Homebrew Heroes - A Special Collectors Edition Magazine
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2013, 19:19:57 PM »
One person disliking something does not warrant a redesign. Like wise no offence is taken from what you said fella. Constructive feedback is always welcomed.
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline Rogue Trooper

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2013, 19:35:11 PM »
Quote from: "The Laird"
I was there in the convo and it was me who replied to you. I didn't shout you down, I merely pointed out at that as the mag was finished it was too late to make changes. I also pointed out the cover had been posted ages ago, not in this thread but the other one. I am sorry you don't like it and we do welcome feedback but after 7-8 months of work on this we really don't want to be doing more!  :111:

You were 1 of the people who replied.

Rather confused where i asked for a redesign though and totally agree views of 1 person does'nt warrant a redesign, it was meant as constructive feedback, more so for any future projects rather than current one.If you look elsewhere on today's postings by myself, your project is far from the only 1 to go down the same route of having a lot of things fighting for attention and again there i've tried to say just what it is that i feel 'spoils' the effect, plus i've made point about other publications again have noticed an effect on sales when they choose a specific cover.

No publication, no matter how hard they try are going to please everyone all the time, nor should they ever attempt to, but (and i'm not jumping down your throat here) when someone who's only just viewed an image, gives an honest view of what works and what does'nt, should it not be taken onboard as just that? 1 persons view and with a degree of understanding as to how they came to that view? rather than:We put this out months ago, you don't like it? tough, etc etc.I've only just got around to catching up on publications i currently subscribe to, so was'nt in any hurry to view covers of things not out yet and i'm awaiting possible physical release of.

Fully understand how those who've put blood, sweat and tears into a project might get a little on the defence side of things, but the reaction i got on here did honestly echo of what i'd expect from RG or Gamestm.Sorry if people dislike that view, but it 'read' that way at the time.

If i'd just said 'contents look fantastic, but that cover? it looks shit mate, hope you plan to do something with it' then fair call, i've made stupid demands and given no reasoning as to why i disliked it, but that was'nt the case.

Offline Greyfox

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.atarigamer.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2013, 15:11:59 PM »
just being messing around with some new techniques I've being learning lately , gas thing this I'm trying to reverse engineer hires images into 8-bit pixel art..lol..I remember it was the other way around back in the day..the more photo-realistic it was the better, now I'm going backwards and it's tougher too!!..

anyways..i thought why not, do the HH cover as an 8-bit pixel art..
see what you all think ?

[align=center:3myz07dn][/align:3myz07dn]

Offline Shadowrunner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2013, 15:15:16 PM »
I like it, good job Fox  :113:

Offline Rogue Trooper

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2013, 15:30:36 PM »
You wanna know what i think?........after last time? LOL.

I'm staying quiet.

:-)

Online TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2013, 15:37:18 PM »
To be perfectly honest, I'm not too keen on how it looks.  That's probably because you're going backwards on the existing cover, though.  I think to do this so it works, it would need to be redone as an entirely new cover. 
Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline Greyfox

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2013, 15:44:33 PM »
Quote from: "TrekMD"

it was only a test idea, this will not be a re-working of the original cover I've done, it was to demonstrate the technique and after reading about the Strider reboot, I also done an an 8-bit version Image of the original Strider poster Art work, for Darren Jones on his FB page.. again, it's all about technique only. :)

[align=center:1w1fm0wr][/align:1w1fm0wr]

Online TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2013, 15:47:14 PM »
Cool.  I like the look of the artwork on that.  :)
Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2013, 15:52:48 PM »
Great stuff fella.. Once you perfect that i can see it looking amazing..

At the moment i would say it looks like a converted image rather than a purpose made one.
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline Rogue Trooper

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2013, 15:53:38 PM »
Quote from: "Greyfox"
Quote from: "TrekMD"

it was only a test idea, this will not be a re-working of the original cover I've done, it was to demonstrate the technique and after reading about the Strider reboot, I also done an an 8-bit version Image of the original Strider poster Art work, for Darren Jones on his FB page.. again, it's all about technique only. :)

[align=center:1kuon19l][/align:1kuon19l]

Best get the shotgun ready Pa.....

Ok here's my 2 pence worth:

Whilst it's a very clever technique, i personally don't feel it works...(now hold on son, let me explain), i'm someone who, if they had the money and space would quite happily snap up numerous games from the 8 Bit era, purely for the artwork, things like Atari and Activisions 2600 carts, Mastertronics M.A.D range tapes etc etc, so i'm not anti-8 Bit era in anyway....

However to downgrade an image so it's a pixelly mess, does nothing for me-it'd be like you Grey designing your best work yet and then saying to me:Not ready yet, just 1 finishing touch...and then you slapped a sheet of frosted glass over it.The splendour would be lost.

DJ will probably love it, but he grew up with a CPC so was used to colurful, messy graphics.....

Meowwwwww

:-)

See if i'm gonna hate at least i'll say why i feel it just does'nt work...

Offline Greyfox

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2013, 16:00:45 PM »
yes you and Zap are both perfectly correct this technique is a down scale pixelated approach to re-create art work in a 8-bit pixel messed form, this idea was to reduce the colour content, use diffuse pattern and reduce any colour gradation between one shade and the next, this works well with certain images only, I like the Strider as it reminded me of a 8-bit loading screen. I'm not trying to create direct pixel art like what you see from Army of Trolls etc..more to 8-bit bastard-rize (if that word exists) an image..lol

I've done a Bruce Lee image I feel has turned out very well and will be creating a new Forum Signature, so wait and see what that's like..

@Rogue, do not feel I'll be upset or offended at any time regarding feedback, this is why I'm the king of hill on the retro scene  :113:

Offline Rogue Trooper

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2013, 16:11:26 PM »
@Grey:

You know by now.If i did'nt give 2 sh*ts about something i would'nt bother to post anything on a subject.I try not to be a 'That looks shit' kinda poster.Any feedback i give i hope comes across as just my feelings and when i'm not fond of something or feel more could be done with it, i'll explain why i feel it just does'nt work.It can be a game, an image, a body of text etc.

I like the purity of an image, guess that's why i love wireframe 3D stuff so much, used to loathe those big chunky pixel images on Nes carts and thus clapped my hands with joy (ok, maybe i did'nt go that far) that RG did'nt use that Nes Duck Hunt target image for a front cover (though oddly i did love the ZX81 3D Monster Maze cover, hmmn.....curious, think that was more based on fond memories of the game, ZX81 1st home micro i had, so will always hold a special place for me).

Guess i'm also very 'protective' of Strider art, US Gold Strider II art and Pal MD Box art for Strider were awful, so i want to see it at it's best.

Still i don't do Facebook so no concern of mine, lol.

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2013, 21:17:19 PM »
We are pleased to announce that Homebrew Heroes is now available to purchase!

http://www.homebrewheroes.co.uk/

Offline Shadowrunner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2013, 01:43:59 AM »
Sold! Can't wait to read it  :)

Offline Greyfox

• Administrator
    • View Profile