New Atari 5200 8-bit Conversion - Hyperblast!

Started by TrekMD, May 03, 2013, 22:11:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

Atari Age member 8Bit-Guy has created a new homebrew title by converting the 8-bit game Hyperblast to the Atari 5200!  From his thread:

[align=center:nj8nl01z][/align:nj8nl01z]

[align=center:nj8nl01z]Hyperblast! is a space shoot'em up in the vein of Galaxian and Phoenix.
You must blast your way through Ten waves of Alien Creatures and Craft
from Fireflies to Fuel Ships.

Each Wave consists of 6 aliens that weave individually around the screen,
constantly changing direction and occasionally dive-bombing your craft.
To make things harder, destroying an alien results in a rain of missiles
falling from the wreckage of your target.

Only by continually dodging and shooting will you be able to space warp to
the next wave and only after you've destroyed each set of aliens 10 times!

Your spaceship fires one centre missile, followed by two side missiles,
which with constant fire button pressing results in a heavy barrage of
firepower.
The controls (left and right, plus fire) are quite responsive and the speed
of the action along with the sound effects make this game an enjoyable
experience.
The game can be played with one or two players, each taking turns to blast
away the alien threat. The maximum score possible is 999,000 with an extra
life (you start with 5) after each 10,000 points.
[/align:nj8nl01z]

[align=center:nj8nl01z]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9eMgW-3SXFE[/align:nj8nl01z]

This is actually one of several conversions 8Bit-Guy has worked on.  There are no plans for cart release right now and the only way to get the complete version is through a donation.  A demo binary file can be downloaded from the thread over at Atari Age.  That thread can be found here:  Hyperblast 5200.

[align=center:nj8nl01z][size=80]Posted with permission from 8Bit-Guy.[/size][/align:nj8nl01z]

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

TL

Looks like a nice variation on Galaga, might have to give this a try sometime.

Shame he isn't doing a cartridge release though  :(

TrekMD

He'd like to focus on making more conversions over making carts.  I suggested he ask Albert about selling it on the AA Store and that they could even have a label contest.  We'll see what happens.

Rogue Trooper

Feck me, that looks familar, swear i had that on the 800XL, was part of a comp.pack by English Software? been so many years since i've even seen still shots.

TrekMD

Don't know the answer to that question.  By the way, 8Bit just posted that AtariMax would be interested in selling carts of the game.

TL

Quote from: "Rogue Trooper"Feck me, that looks familar, swear i had that on the 800XL, was part of a comp.pack by English Software? been so many years since i've even seen still shots.

Yep, looks like it was RT!

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-40 ... _6949.html

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-40 ... _2540.html

Rogue Trooper

Atari Smash Hits!!!! man, alive, they were essential to a game starved 800XL owner like myself, Elktraglide, some Chess programme i never bothered much with, Hyperblast, Jet Boot Jack, Neptunes Daughter? Capt.Sticky's Gold, memories flooding back.

Going to see what else was on them, recal a scramble-esq game, some crate throwing thing, a vertically scrolling shooter....

UPDATE:Ohh hell yeah, just found'em.I had Vol 1 (Firefleet was name i could'nt recal), Vol 3 (Airstrike 2+Batty Builders!, along with Breath Of The dragon-which i cannot recal anything about) and THE mighty Vol 7: Alley Cat, Elktraglide+Blue Max 3 of my all time fav A8 games on 1 comp.now your talking.

Mate who bought an A8 when i'd moved to a C64 had Vol 4 (Chop Suey, Fire Chief, Hijack+Kissin Kousins as i recal him banging on about the speech at the start of the game on K.K).

sloan

I talked to 8-bit Guy, who programmed this translation to the 5200. He is focusing his efforts on converting other 8-bit titles to the 5200, so it is no surprise this was originally on another 8-bit machine.

Regarding getting it in cartridge form, he suggested asking Atari Age to put it on a custom cart for you. I know AA sells custom made carts from their store for US $25 as long as you supply the ROM file and label art image. That might be the answer, so long as AA is certain you have permission from 8-Bit Guy to do so.

TrekMD

He's also in talks with Atarimax who appears to have expressed interest in selling at least this specific game. 

TL

Quote from: "TrekMD"He's also in talks with Atarimax who appears to have expressed interest in selling at least this specific game.

Sounds like a plan because according to Atari Mania it's highly rated!

zapiy

Great stuff.. Looks like a fantastic conversion.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

I'll need to review this with the next set of 5200 games I do.  :)