The Speccies - New Sinclair Spectrum homebrew!

Started by TL, May 01, 2013, 22:59:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TL

[align=center:1gu7xnou]

[size=180]The Speccies is a puzzle game for the 48K ZX Spectrum. Programmed in Z80 in assembler, it has 101 levels of hardcore punishment for the brain![/size]

[size=140]The Speccies is a remake of "The Brainies" (European title: "Tiny Skweeks") which was originally made for the DOS, Amiga, Atari ST, Mac, Amstrad CPC and SNES platforms, but was never released on the ZX Spectrum. Until now. The change of platform also means a change of title, and with its new name it suits the ZX Spectrum even better.[/size]

[size=140]You play as The Speccies -- a species of small rotund creatures -- that has to work together in groups of up to 8 -- to solve puzzles that ultimately will see them sitting on their respective 'home-pads' (a blue Speccie will have to find its way to a blue home-pad, etc. for differently coloured Speccies). They will have to deal with several items on the levels, some that will help (like extra time) and some that will make things more difficult (like arrows that will force them to change direction, or bombs that will kill them...unless you have a 'Joker'). Other tiles in the playing area can be occupied by teleporters or 'bouncers' that will send you back in the direction you came from. In other words -- lots of potential for a brain-workout.[/size]

[size=140]Gameplay Description

You must guide the Speccies to their respective home-pads of the same color as themselves. The mechanics of the game is basically that you can only set the direction of movement, after which the Speccie will roll and react automatically to things it passes over, and only stops once it reaches something that blocks it. On later levels you will encounter locks that will disappear if a Speccie of the same color passes over -- but acts as a solid stopblock for everyone else, or colored switches that will activate previously inactive home-pads. There's also teleporters that lets you jump from place to place and bombs that will kill Speccies of the same color (unless you have a joker), but let everyone else through unharmed.

...and it's all done against a ticking clock, naturally![/size]

[size=180]OFFICIAL WEBSITE![/size][/align:1gu7xnou]

TL

Looks like this is going to be remade in 3D for mobile devices now too  :16:

zapiy

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Sokurah

Okay, it took longer to get this game out, than I had anticipated, but it's finally out now.  :69:

The Speccies is a puzzlegame for the 48K Spectrum and it has 101 levels.

Read more - and download a copy - at my site, here: http://tardis.dk/wordpress/?page_id=1011

Also supports ULAPlus which makes it easier to play for people suffering from colour blindness.

Available both as an emulator file, but also as a limited run of physical cassettes.
I think there's still a couple of tapes (2-3) left for sale if you're intersted.

And last but not least - it just scored 85% in Retro Gamer Magazine.

Let me know what you think.
Website: Tardis remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
Twitter: Sokurah

Sokurah

I also made a sequel btw.  :)

Let me know what you think. :)

zapiy

Gobsmacked by what you have done here.. Brilliant work.. :113:

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Carlos

I will download these and try them out on my Zx tonight.  :111:

TL

Brilliant to see you did a sequel, top work!  :16:

Sokurah

Glad you like it.

Btw, if you haven't already read it elsewhere: I've also written a postmortem on both games;

http://tardis.dk/wordpress/?page_id=1104

...a little light - and hopefully entertaining and insightful - look into the development of both games.  :36: