Luchsenstein 3D: Freeware demo for Lynx released!

Started by 108 Stars, May 01, 2013, 15:29:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

108 Stars

With great pride it is that I present you Luchsenstein 3D!

As you may know, Atari made a deal with John Cormack of id Software to do a Lynx version of Wolfenstein 3D; sadly the Tramiels were not interested and the deal ultimately fell through.

Now thanks to obschan's impressive coding we can all see what Wolfenstein 3D might have looked like.

A full game using this engine will follow eventually.
I was so impressed with obschan's 2012 demo I offered my help; such an impressive engine must not go to waste. The full game will have nothing to do with Wolfenstein of course, but we thought it was a good example for the demo as everybody knows that game and can compare. I think it looks surprisingly close, even if it is not a full featured conversion; but hey, even the Jaguar version lacks much of the PC-original's gameplay.

We have two levels, one is a boss battle.

Conrtrols:
A : shoot
B : strafe
Option 1 : open doors

Enjoy!

P.S.: I can't seem to upload it here, so please download the ROM at atariAge; flashcard compatible btw. http://atariage.com/forums/topic/211857 ... try2745679
Systems owned: Atari 2600, Lynx, Jaguar, NES, SNES, N64, GameBoy, Master System, Mega Drive, Dreamcast, Game Gear, PlayStation, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable, Xbox, Wonderswan

TL

I just downloaded this, I will give it a try later and tell you my thoughts!

Here is some screenshots for you:

DreamcastRIP

Impressive stuff and thanks for posting, 108 Stars. :1:
Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

108 Stars

The pics The Laird posted are from an older demo, not Wolfenstein-themed; here's pics from Luchsenstein as you can play it. :)

Systems owned: Atari 2600, Lynx, Jaguar, NES, SNES, N64, GameBoy, Master System, Mega Drive, Dreamcast, Game Gear, PlayStation, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable, Xbox, Wonderswan

TL

Even better!!!

Looks amazing, will give this a play on Handy later on  :41:

TrekMD

This is awesome!  Will have to download it and give it a try!  I hope it eventually sees release as a cart!

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

108 Stars

Unlikely; that would be very risky from a legal standpoint. We actually put in a disclaimer to warn people that this is freeware in case some bootlegs appear on eBay.

TL

Quote from: "108 Stars"Unlikely; that would be very risky from a legal standpoint. We actually put in a disclaimer to warn people that this is freeware in case some bootlegs appear on eBay.

Given that the original Wolf 3D is freeware and versions have been released for other machines you should be ok!

108 Stars

They are still selling the game for iphone etc, so it could be interpreted as competition, as bizarre as it sounds for a Lynx game.^^ Better safe than sorry.

TL

Quote from: "108 Stars"They are still selling the game for iphone etc, so it could be interpreted as competition, as bizarre as it sounds for a Lynx game.^^ Better safe than sorry.

I doubt it very much! Carmack is a nice guy, I bet if you emailed him he would give his approval!

108 Stars

Just tweeted a screenshot to John Carmack and he replied.
 He said he had planned to use the Lynx vertically " to make efficient use of the scaling hardware for column stretching". So the official Wolfenstein 3D would have been quite different. :)

I did not ask about a card release though, it would be too insolent after doing the demo without asking first.

TL

Quote from: "108 Stars"Just tweeted a screenshot to John Carmack and he replied.
 He said he had planned to use the Lynx vertically " to make efficient use of the scaling hardware for column stretching". So the official Wolfenstein 3D would have been quite different. :)

I did not ask about a card release though, it would be too insolent after doing the demo without asking first.

Wow! That is very interesting!

I really don't think he would care mate, every game has to start somewhere right? He has already shown he is interested!

TrekMD

If he had a problem with this, he would have said it.  The worst that can happen is that he says no but you won't know until you ask.

Interesting that they would have done it with the Lynx held vertically, though. 

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

108 Stars

So, has anybody actually played it and beat Hitler? :)

TL

Quote from: "108 Stars"So, has anybody actually played it and beat Hitler? :77: