Nintendo SNES Must have games

Started by Greyfox, February 29, 2012, 12:07:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crusto

I would like to add Soul Blazer to the mix. I can't really remember it tbh, but do remember really enjoying it. I think it was loosely based on the Actraiser games. Looks like a bit of googling is needed lol.

Aladdin? Yep very good, but pales against the MD version imo.

LTTP is fantastic, and should be getting the HD treatment instead of the wind waker, lets hope for a 3ds version..

Super Tennis, excellent, the second best tennis game ever programmed.

F1 Exhaust heat, cracking game.
Bitches leave

davyk

Actually the SNES version of Mortal Kombat 2 is pretty swish - and I forgot about Cybernator (aka Assault Suits Valken) and the excellent Super Punch Out.

guest4721

Quote from: "Greyfox"[size=100]11. Blackthorne[/size]
a great platform adventure created by Buzzard software of the warcraft fame, similar in styles of Out of this world and arcade action, fanatsic animation and over all brilliant game.

Glad you mentioned this.  Doesn't get the same credit that Prince of Persia, Out of this World, or Flashback got, but deserves to be among these greats.  (This is the only Blizzard game I've ever played probably because it has an actual ending and won't result in alienating family and friends.) 

davyk

Scrolling beat em ups aren't really my thing. The only one I ever spent any time on was Battletoads and even that mixes the genre up nicely.

nakamura

Quote from: "romanoaj31"
Quote from: "Greyfox"[size=100]11. Blackthorne[/size]
a great platform adventure created by Buzzard software of the warcraft fame, similar in styles of Out of this world and arcade action, fanatsic animation and over all brilliant game.

Glad you mentioned this.  Doesn't get the same credit that Prince of Persia, Out of this World, or Flashback got, but deserves to be among these greats.  (This is the only Blizzard game I've ever played probably because it has an actual ending and won't result in alienating family and friends.)

I must admit I found Blackthorne to be better than both Prince of Persia and Flashback. Fantastic game with lovely animation and audio with good level design.

Soul Blazer was a good shout too, superb still today if a little visually basic.

Power Drive is also utterly superb. It's also on Mega Drive and a follow up on the Jaguar. All version are excellent and essential gaming.

Bobinator

Two games, one license, both awesome.

Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers - The Movie: You might think it's going to be awful from the license alone. It's not. Basically, imagine a beat-em-up' platformer, with two 'planes' you can jump back and forth from with the shoulder buttons. Not many moves, but there's some great levels, like the one where you start off snowboarding down a mountain before using your board to surf down the river. No Zord action, sadly, but there IS an amazing soundtrack.

Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers - The Fighting Edition - The same year, we get this, and it utterly kicks the crap out of the Genesis fighting game. I would honestly say this is the best fighting game on the SNES that isn't a port. Bar none. You can either play as one of the rangers' zords or a few giant monsters. It's a bit more advanced than your average SF2 clone, since you've got characters who can air dash, special moves that have powered-up versions you can perform at the right time, and super moves.

Or, if that's not your thing, try...

Wild Guns - Imagine Cabal. Now imagine with robots. Now imagine it in the Wild West. Now imagine that on crack. Basically, you fire at whatever enemies show up, dodging their shots with jumps and rolls, and try to hold off their onslaught until the level timer runs down to zero, at which point the boss shows up. You'll also collect weapons like shotguns, grenade launchers, and the popgun. Don't get the popgun.

Greyfox

Dam yes, I forgot Wild Guns, this was a classic, and the music was brilliant also mixed with epic 2 player action, the Snes was great at delivering fun arcade experiences like this, but rarely, another unsung hero has to be Namco's entry into classic 2d fighting "Weapon Lord" allot of people I know at the time didn't actually like this game, due to it's move list , as it can be a difficult learning curve to pull some of the moves off, but it had great graphics and sound and if your sick of Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat..this was very good..

Another classic from Namcot, was Cosmo Gang: The Video with Galaga roots for kids, this cute and colourful arcade shooter, with mini bonus stages involving you fending of aliens attempting to stealing your boxes or item and was another reason to own a Snes for this lovely little shooter, I don't know if it ever got released in Europe or America, it should have if it didn't and worth checking out if you've never played it.

davyk

That has just reminded me of Sunset Riders - Contra with cowboys - was good fun that.

nakamura

I didn't get on with Weapon Lord. It was rather ambitious but too clunky to be fun after other fighters.

Turtles Tournament Fighters. Has that been mentioned? Another fantastic fighter and the second best 1v1 game on the system for me.  :)

Greyfox

Quote from: "nakamura"Turtles Tournament Fighters. Has that been mentioned? Another fantastic fighter and the second best 1v1 game on the system for me.  :)

Yes agreed, amazing back then it was all about the gameplay features and not about how good the cut scenes or story line was?, just good honest simply fun.

Bobinator

Quote from: "Greyfox"
Quote from: "nakamura"Turtles Tournament Fighters. Has that been mentioned? Another fantastic fighter and the second best 1v1 game on the system for me.  :)

Yes agreed, amazing back then it was all about the gameplay features and not about how good the cut scenes or story line was?, just good honest simply fun.

I would have brought up Tournament Fighters if the AI didn't hate you and want you to die.

nakamura

You can get very good at it though, as I did way back when. Now, I'm not so good again.

DreamcastRIP

From the SNES games I've played those that I most enjoyed playing would be F-Zero and Super Mario Kart. There are a couple of shmups on SNES that I wouldn't mind playing one day too.
Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Carlos

Super Bommerman and POPntwinbee are my must have games.

Bobinator

Quote from: "Carl"Super Bommerman and POPntwinbee are my must have games.

Bommerman? Is that anything like Bummerman?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC1SzVR5zeo