Nintendo SNES Must have games

Started by Greyfox, February 29, 2012, 12:07:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greyfox

Allot of us here have at one stage played on the Super Nintedo System, and I didn't see any listing for this great and powerful console, so I decided to list some of the greatest titles on this platform for those who haven't  played them, and now thanks to emualtion, we can all experience them again or play them for the first time, so my top 20 SNES games are as follows, and to mention I didn't list any Mario Games, as this list is based on other games outside the Mario World (although Super Mario is epic on the SNES too :) )

1. 7th Saga
Classic RPG and played well against the Final fantasy series

2. Act Raiser 1 & 2
Arcade with a mixture of RGB elemnets with amazing music

[size=100]3. Adams Family[/size]
a great mixture of platform action to be had, but it's a tuff game, created by Ocean Software

[size=100]4. Adventures of Batman and Robin [/size]
a beautiful Platform game based on the hit TV show, a must have game, created by Konami
[size=100]
5. Aladdin [/size]
Disney enters the platform with this brillaint game created by Capcom
[size=120][size=100]
Alien 3[/size][/size]
although released on the Megadrive aswell (probe software), the SNES version was more darker and more maturer, then the megadrive counterpart, if you have not played this..you should, it's creppy

[size=100]7. Arkanoid - Doh It Again[/size]
we all love abit of ball and bat action don't we, this is no exception, Arcade perfect port and excellent control, considering your using a joypad, top stuff

[size=100]8. Axelay[/size]
this is a shootem'up with a different, created by Konami, the Mode 7 effects in this games where absolutely amazing back in the day, with pure Arcade style bosses, this should be in everyone's collection.

[size=100]9. Batman Returns[/size]
Konami again strike gold with this wonderful beatem'up, beautiful graphics, capturing the style of the movie perfectly, and the control where ace, beating up thugs as Batman has never been so good.

[size=100]10. Bomberman[/size]
created by Hudson Soft now (RIP), brought everyone one of the first mutli-player action title to the mass, with a multi-tap up to 4 players could join in at blowing each other up, and with the power up in the game, made this a devilish game..fantasic stuff

[size=100]11. Blackthorne[/size]
a great platform adventure created by Buzzard software of the warcraft fame, similar in styles of Out of this world and arcade action, fanatsic animation and over all brilliant game.

[size=100]12. Castlevania - Vampire's Kiss[/size]
what list wouldn't be complete with a Castlevania game in there, brillaint platform action, great music, ridiciously hard and all round fantastic SNES game, if you haven't played this one, your missing out on something very special

[size=100]13. Cybernator[/size]
again Konami seems to appear allot in this list due to the fact that they where one of the best companies working on titles for SNES, this game has you in a Mech, blowing things up, and then in sideways shootem'up action, cathering for all in a game.

[size=100]14. Donkey Kong Country Series[/size]
Created by RARE software for Nintendo, showed the world the SNES could infact do next generation style gfx on an aging platform, brilliant mini-games, fabulous music and amazing platform, play it today!
[size=100]
15. E.V.O. Search for Eden[/size]
this is one of the first style RPG games to allow you to envolve from a micro cell to a full human, incredible gaming mecanics, look at it as the Sims many years before they arrived.

[size=100]16. Equinox[/size]
wonderful RPG game, amazing music created by the Follin brothers, and some very clever puzzle elements too..well worth a look
[size=100]
17. Final Fantasy Series[/size]
before Final fantasy 7, the SNES versions where the number one place for your RPG fix, and had incredible story telling, music and gameplay.

[size=100]18. Final Fight Series[/size]
Capcom's port of the Arcade hit beatem'up, arrived on the SNES and was IMO near arcade perfect, other than a missing charcter "GUY", but Capcom later released "Final Fight Guy" which he appeared, what's not good to say about this game, well there isn't, having an Arcade experience on your telly rocked .

[size=100]19. Super Starwars Series[/size]
When this appeared, i think every Star Wars fan, shat themselives, i for one was one of them, Finally a StarWars games that played so good and captured the movies so well, this is one of the best trilogies of a movie to game ever made.

[size=100]20. Street Figher 2 Series inc. Super[/size]
this game is proof that a pure 100% arcade port was complelely possible on a 16-bit console, Street Fighter 2 was so good, that some Arcade vendors complained to Capcom on loss of earnings on there purchased arcade machines and demanded refunds, when the SNES version appeared, everyone, everywhere was playing this game on their lovable SNES

I know there are many more SNES games not mention here, but then the list would be huge, these are just some of my most favorite one..hope you've enjoyed it.

Havantgottaclue

Yes, the music to Equinox is spectacular. Was it just Tim, or Geoff as well?

Anyway, just a few of my favourites:

Demon's Crest: some terrific music in this game too, and beautifully colourful graphics.
Super Aleste: A mite on the easy side perhaps, but as with all Aleste games the weapons are always fun to play with.
Super Metroid: A gripping adventure, one that had me up in to the small hours of the morning when I first played it. Still prefer it (and the two GBA games) to the Prime series.
Then there's UN Squadron and Super SWIV too, not much to say about those except that it does show that the system has some fine shooters, even if it doesn't measure up to the MD in that regard.

Greyfox

yes, both Tim & Geoff worked on that game, them pair are amazing musical artists and not covered enough in the gaming media, and I'm proud to be Tim's friend on Facebook.

nice selection of games you choose there, Super Metroid was for one another classic, playing till the next day, going throught the whole night. not many games had me doing that..:)

Havantgottaclue

Ooh, I forgot the two Super Turrican games. Again, they really show off the machine's colour capabilities. Very different games from the Amiga games (much more direct, far less exploration) but excellent in their own right.

Oh, and there's also Super Probotector as well.

Greyfox

Wow yes, I remember those too, I think my list should of been the top 50, it could be easily filled :) with these mentioned.

Minerals

Actraiser is a fantastic game, very unique and i love the music. But i thought Actraiser 2 was a massive let down, the side scrolling levels were far too hard and cluttered.

Greyfox

well I would half agree with that, althought it was tuffer, especially later on, the only way I could finish the game was with a Trained Version of the rom via my pro-fighter Q (which I still have :) ), the one thing about these games is that they demanded ridicious skills on the players behalf and when you where dead you where dead, but beautiful to look at.

Another Cracker of a game was Hagane from Hudson, I think, very polished mech/ninja beatem'up , so if you haven't see it, check it out, it's good.

Havantgottaclue

I had Hagane and liked it - but I lent my copy to a friend, who absolutely loves it. Don't know if I have the heart to ask for it back!

Minerals

dot.fyre

Havantgottaclue

Oh yes, there's Mega Man X as well ... completely forgot about that one. That's a cracking game. I've only played the first one, mind.

dubchaser

I used to love ActRaiser, Alien 3 "Game Over Man"!  8), Castlevania, Mario Kart and Street Fighter II.

nakamura

People often complain that Super Aleste is too easy yet the default difficulty is normal and there are several harder ones.

Recommendations from me are...

Secret of Mana. Yes a fairly standard choice but the game is simply brilliant, even now. Lovely little story, good battle mechanics, amazing music and multiplayer.

Top Gear. Lotus for the SNES basically. Nothing spectacular but great fun and brilliant music.

F-Zero. Perhaps one of the best racers of all time. Crank it up to master level and it is a stonking challenge. No other racer from that time feel like you are in an actual race like this.

J-League 96' Dream Stadium. Stunning late football game that looks a bit like ISS but is probably better. Seems to have extra chips too as it has Super FX add on connectors.

Terranigma. Expensive but worth every penny. A timeless RPG that has an epic plot with a fun, fast paced action battle system.

davyk

Yeah - you can crank the difficulty up in Super Aleste quite a bit - there are the "wild" settings too.

Someone mentioned "Arkanoid - Doh it again" earlier - it supports the mouse which helps playability quite a bit if you can find them. Some really nice 2 player modes available.

My favourites list:

Super Mario World - kind of obvious - I believe it is still to be matched, let alone bettered.
Super Mario Kart - genre defining. I still like it but I'm one of the few who prefer the later  games - MKDD and MKWii are brilliant updates but the original still plays really well even if it looks a bit rough round the edges these days.
Pilotwings - superb flying game and I'm still waiting for a sequel. The N64 game was good but didn't capture the feel of the original.
Super Castlevania IV - first game in the series I played and still my favourite. This one has the best whip control scheme. It starts a bit slow but it really kicks off in level 2. Most people mention the music and rightly so.
On the Ball aka Cameltry Original ball/maze game. Kind of like a 2D Monkey Ball. You rotate the maze around to roll the ball to the target.
Prince of Persia Best version of the 2D era. Has exclusive levels and great visuals and music.
Buster Busts Loose Stonking licenced platformer. Only 7 levels but they pack in loads of variety and again - brilliant visuals and sounds.
Kirby's Dream Course Original crazy golf themed game with a bit of strategy and Kirby-themed power ups thrown in. Well worth a look
Battletoads in Battlemaniacs Great update from the NES game. Not quite as tough but still packs a challenge. Still looks good and is great in 2 player. When RARE hadn't lost the plot.
Super Probotector Another great update - great 2 player action too. Konami were at their peak in the 16bit era.
Zombies Horror film themed Gauntlet style game. 2 players. Loads of levels, great level and enemy design - and memorable music.
RType III Exclusive to the SNES. Same drill - looks and sounds great - still. Rock hard though.
Legend of Mystical Ninja Another Konami triumph. Forced perspective sections with light RPG elements give access to brilliant 2D side on platforming and boss battles. 2 player is a riot with piggy back option!
Legend of Zelda - a link to the past First one I played and the only one I completed. Absolutely top drawer stuff that Nintendo have been recycling ever since to be honest.
Super Bomberman This may have been at home on the PC-Engine but this is quite brilliant version too and with 4 players is hard to beat. Only topped by the mighty Saturn Bomberman.
Plok The SNES plays host to so many excellent platformers but this one stands out. The limb throwing character brings some charm and original ideas. The Follin soundtrack is stupendous and the levels look like a 60's inspired landscape.
Yoshi's Island The SNES's 2nd best platformer. The fact that this was being developed at the same time as Mario64 by the same dev house boggles the mind. This sees Nintendo at their creative peak. This is 2d sprite work at its best and it will never age.
Super Smash TV Robotron sequel that squeezes amazing performance from the SNES. Brilliant port and the SNES control delivers a great control scheme.
Pop n Twinbee Cute pastel shmup from Konami (again!) with great visuals and sounds and excellent replayable levels.
Unirally Race pre-rendered unicycles with character(!) in lightening fast 2D tracks. It really wakes up once you learn the tracks and the flexible control scheme allows you perform stunts for speed boosts. Quite original and exclusive to the SNES. This annoyed Pixar and they weighed in with the lawyers so it got a limited run - worth a look.
Super Aleste Best shmup on the SNES - techie tour-de-force with loads of sprites and no slowdown complemented with great use of Mode 7. One of my favourite shmups on any platform.
Tetris Attack Tetris gameplay nowhere to be seen. Its a Nintendo-themed port of Panel-de-Pon released in Japan. Brillant game - shame Nintendo felt they had to rebrand it but at least that meant we got to play it.
Out to Lunch Another excellent platformer - but the food chasing mechanic makes it stand out. Loads of charm and lovely little effects are everywhere. Lots of secrets and a really big challenge.
F-Zero Still very playable though its 1 player only. Its descendants - particularly the amazing Gamecube version by Sega mean it is redundant now but I still give this a spin from time to time.
Addams Family I usually avoid licence tie-ins but this one had some effort put in. It's quite like Jet Set Willy actually. Instead of collecting items you have several sequences of rooms to negotiate with loads of weird enemies to get to a boss and release a family member. Its really tough but its doable because you can tackle the challenges in any order you like and there are loads of secrets that dish out the 1ups and it looks great.
Hagane Excellent Shinobi-a-like with loads of moves. Rock hard but has great atmosphere.
Tetris Battle Gaiden Tetris update that actually works which is a rare thing. Create lines to charge up a spell meter to dish out havoc on your opponent. Has a good classic mode too. Japanese only release.
Street Fighter II Turbo Still so playable after all these years. Looks great too - I had this running through a projector via s-video in a recent office gaming tourney and it still looked good - but the gameplay and control backs it up too.
Super Metroid First I played in the series - and the only one I've completed. Brilliant atmosphere and an excellent expanding range of moves and levels. Never bettered.

tomwaits

Quote from: "Greyfox"[size=100]18. Final Fight Series[/size]

Final Fight 3 is an excellent game. Fact. :P