Emulate this?

Started by zapiy, January 29, 2011, 02:12:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zapiy

Do you use emulators to play retro games?

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Anonymous

I guess I would go as more of a purist. There's just something about playing games on their original system that draws me. Not that I'm against emulators, I just prefer the original nostalgia all together.

zapiy

Think I agree with that fella, nothing beats using the real console.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Anonymous

i have N64oid on my phone
but thats just for waiting for the train....

also will be getting gamegear games on my 3ds when the eshop goes up, id like a game gear but i couldnt take it anywhere...

Greyfox

Yes, I do , I have 4 platforms in order for my emulation fixes, firstly the pc with everything with bells and whistles, then I have a Sony PSP with atari ST / 8bit/ pc engine/ megadrive / Snes emulated on that, then there is my dingo with neo geo stuff and cps games along with Nes and gba stuff , thirdly my iPad 2 with megadrive, pc engine, Mame, Snes , gba stuff which allot works via the icade Bluetooth controller which IMO, is the only way to play these, and a few on my android phone, but the icade on the iPad wins hands down :)

tomwaits

No emulators for me. They never play 100% accurate, the controller/display don't match the original platform, and the obsessive rom hoarding crowd are a disgrace.

I'll use MAME occasionally to sample an expensive PCB before buying but for consoles I stick with the real thing.

TL

Quote from: "tomwaits"No emulators for me. They never play 100% accurate, the controller/display don't match the original platform, and the obsessive rom hoarding crowd are a disgrace.

I'll use MAME occasionally to sample an expensive PCB before buying but for consoles I stick with the real thing.

Pretty much the same for me. I will always play on original harware wherever possible.

AmigaJay

A bit of both for me, i agree nothing is like the real hardware but sometimes its too obscure or expensive to get hold of i.e x68000, fm towns etc
Or another example is a have a Dreamcast and loads of games, but some of the rare games are stupidly overpriced on ebay, so i end up dl and burning to disc, at least it gets played on real hardware!
But for playing on the road, i have a Caanoo which i just picked up and an Xperia Play, sure its not the same but for a quick.fix of gaming its there when i need it!
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2018