Rasberry Pi (Is this the future if Emulators)

Started by zapiy, February 29, 2012, 09:40:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zapiy

The Raspberry Pi is set to go on sale at 6am on Wednesday 29th February.

Limited to one per person for this initial run of 10,000. More units to be made later in the year.

This is a fully functional ARM-based computer with HDMI out, 256MB RAM memory, two USB ports, 10/100 Ethernet controller and SD card reader for £22.

This ultra cheap computer can be used as media player soon, running a special build of XBMC for playing your downloaded movies on usb at 1080p.
NOTE: XBMC for RasPi aka RaspMC has not yet been released but will be soon with the launch http://www.raspbmc.com/

You will need a SD card, micro usb adaptor for power, keyboard, mouse and TV. It doesn't come with a case, but it's pretty small so you could just stick it to the back of your TV.

"The Raspberry Pi is a credit-card sized computer that plugs into your TV and a keyboard. It's a capable little PC which can be used for many of the things that your desktop PC does, like spreadsheets, word-processing and games. It also plays high-definition video. We want to see it being used by kids all over the world to learn programming." From http://www.raspberrypi.org

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Greyfox

wow sounds great if it asppears, and btw the faq link is dead :)

zapiy

Link fixed,  ;D

I guess time will tell once the coders get hold of it.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TL

I think this system sounds amazing.

There is already talk of putting it in a Spectrum style case which would be awesome!!!

zapiy

That would be cool as.

Reading about this more and more is giving me the willies lol.

Havantgottaclue

After lots of time pressing the "refresh" button I actually managed to order one of these this morning.

What I'm hoping for it that I'll be able to put RISC OS 5 on it - it should remind me of the grand old days of the Acorn Archimedes, except it'll be capable of so much more, of course.

Carlos

Hi, I have one on order, should be with me by the end of March.

I have an empty C64 with a keyrah interface that turns the Keyboard into a usb ps2 keyboard, I have it attached to the Wii and run frodo, but I hope to put the PI in the case and have a stand alone emulator.

I don't think the Pi is the saviour of programming though, I have a FIGnition and have really learned loads on it, never thought I would be able to program in forth!

Its good that the Pi has a rca out for hooking up to CRT tellys to give the graphics the genuine feel for emulation.

zapiy

I am awaiting for a stock update.

Just fancy playing.

Carlos

I have been bumped to late April for delivery  :P

dot.fyre

Wouldn't it be great if the release of Raspberry Pi turned the clock back to the old days of bedroom coding?
Producing new and innovative games (that are cheap!). :)

Carlos

Quote from: "stvd"Wouldn't it be great if the release of Raspberry Pi turned the clock back to the old days of bedroom coding?
Producing new and innovative games (that are cheap!). :o

AmigaJay

I've been bumped to a Mid May delivery now grr! Oh well, I'm going to order one of these cases in black whilst I'm waiting!

http://www.modmypi.com/products.php
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2018

Carlos

The first emulation I have seen is this....

Raspberry Pi running the Fuse ZX Spectrum Emulator

cant do sound though!

must be similar to the DC vertion of the Emulator, that can't either!
  ;D

TL

Carlos

I hope my C64 on will emulate the speccy too.

I need to make it work for its keep.