PC Engine TurboGrafx

Started by zapiy, February 29, 2012, 00:27:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadowrunner

Thanks for clearing that up Tom and yes very confusing!

dcultrapro

ok so a card would be needed to play SOME games... but not all the regular ones right? What the hell is the card needed for? Damned confusing lol
Ultrapro on xbox live

tomwaits

Basically, there are three 'levels' of CD-Rom cards. They hold the boot code for CD games and offer different amounts of extra memory for the CD titles... like the RAM expansion carts for Saturn.

The first version were CD-Rom System Cards. These were made for the add-on CD drives for the PC Engine / TG-16 and only support games with a 'CD-Rom System' logo on the package. Some type of CD-Rom HuCard is required to boot CD games from an add-on drive.

The second round were Super CD Cards. These had more memory on the HuCard and were required to play 'Super CD' games. Duo-R or Turbo Duo consoles have the equivalent of a Super CD Card built-in, add-on CD drives needed a HuCard upgrade. This is backwards compatible with almost all of the 'CD-Rom System' games.

The last round were Arcade Cards. These had even more memory and supported the Arcade Card exclusive or Arcade Card enhanced games that I c/p'ed. It's a HuCard upgrade for any of the NEC consoles. They're backwards compatible with all 'Super CD' and almost all 'CD-Rom System' games.

TL

Shadowrunner

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Turbo-Grafx-16-C ... 596&_uhb=1

This kind of belongs in the Auction Watch thread but since we have been talking about the CD add on here and how rare they are I thought I would post it in this thread.
This is complete with the Turbografx system and some games but should still give an idea of how much they go for.

zapiy

Bagged one of these beauties now, boxed and mint condition for £40 with 4 games.

Legendary Axe,
Cratermaze,
Vigilante,
Victory Run,

Not played them yet.. Are they any good?

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Shadowrunner

Good score! All good games too. Looks like the Turbografx club is getting pretty big around here   :D

zapiy

Sure is i could not cope with all the chit chat and had to get onboard.. Hope to have a bash tomorrow if not on Monday as i am off work for a couple of days.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

dougtitchmarsh

Just got Victory run for the TG, was playing yesterday. As I only got the Hu-Card and no instructions I'm not sure what I have to do lol.
My retro and computing blog posts
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, 2600, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, GameGear, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, GBA, GB,  Xbox, 3DO,  WonderSwan,  NGPC, CD32, Amiga A1200, Spectrum 48k and +2, BBC B, C64

TL

Quote from: "dougtitchmarsh"Just got Victory run for the TG, was playing yesterday. As I only got the Hu-Card and no instructions I'm not sure what I have to do lol.

Same, I thought I was doing things wrong when my car kept breaking. Then I looked it up online and found out this was pretty normal! It's just not a particularly great game.

TrekMD

I'm going to put yet another plug for Good Deal Games (since I'm friends with Michael, who own the site).  You should check out his TurboGrafx 16 section of the store and the homebrew games he sells there:  Good Deal Games.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

TL

Quote from: "TrekMD"I'm going to put yet another plug for Good Deal Games (since I'm friends with Michael, who own the site).  You should check out his TurboGrafx 16 section of the store and the homebrew games he sells there:  Good Deal Games.

Shame they are all CD games  :'(

TrekMD

Quote from: "The Laird"
Quote from: "TrekMD"I'm going to put yet another plug for Good Deal Games (since I'm friends with Michael, who own the site).  You should check out his TurboGrafx 16 section of the store and the homebrew games he sells there:  Good Deal Games.

Shame they are all CD games  :'(

He said something else is coming in a few weeks but I don't know if it is also on CD.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Shadowrunner

Quote from: "Shadowrunner"http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Turbo-Grafx-16-C ... 596&_uhb=1

This kind of belongs in the Auction Watch thread but since we have been talking about the CD add on here and how rare they are I thought I would post it in this thread.
This is complete with the Turbografx system and some games but should still give an idea of how much they go for.

Well this ended last night at $260 or around 170 pounds. Too much for me!

TL

Yeah that is a bit rich for me too, one day though  . . . . .