Author Topic: PC Engine TurboGrafx  (Read 29835 times)

Offline TL

• View Profile
Re: PC Engine TurboGrafx
« Reply #150 on: April 11, 2013, 22:15:56 PM »
Was a big surprise to see this, an article about the PCE/TG in The Guardian, an upper-class British broardsheet newspaper. Very well written too, except the little Jaguar jibe.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/ga ... ime-forgot

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 12, 2013, 01:25:11 AM »
Brilliant stuff fella. Nice find BTW.
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline onthinice

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 12, 2013, 06:12:53 AM »
Thank you! Very nice article!

Now, is the Amiga the best thing since Thundercats lunchboxes? I have to say a Thundercat lunchbox would be cool to own :16:

Offline Rogue Trooper

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 12, 2013, 07:47:10 AM »
Quote from: "The Laird"
Was a big surprise to see this, an article about the PCE/TG in The Guardian, an upper-class British broardsheet newspaper. Very well written too, except the little Jaguar jibe.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/ga ... ime-forgot

Yeah the Jaguar Jibe is bit sad to read really, shows totally lack of understanding on part of the writer, i mean say the GX4000 was used instead of Jaguar, it's regarded as poor, but boasts decent games in it's selection (Navy seals, Switchblade, Robocop 2 etc very well recived).

Really wish Jurnos would check a story before they make reference to a system, Tempest 2000 alone won awards, Jaguar Doom rated as best cart version, Jaguar Syndicate again best cart version as is Wolfenstien.Dissapointing part to an otherwise excellent article.

Offline devilhunter

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 14, 2013, 21:18:41 PM »
One of these on my hit list but its gotta be boxed and mint.
Everything in my collection must be boxed and complete. Nothing else will do \":)\"

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 25, 2013, 20:16:06 PM »
C&VG takes an early look at the Turbo Express handheld:

Offline DreamcastRIP

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 25, 2013, 21:35:03 PM »
Interesting that they slammed the PCE GT/TurboExpress for having what the writer claims to be a screen that sufferes from blurring. In the gamesTM vol.I bookazine I have the article covering this handheld console states that the screen doesn't suffer from blurring at all.  :-
Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Offline Rogue Trooper

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 25, 2013, 22:27:35 PM »
Quote from: "DreamcastRIP"
Interesting that they slammed the PCE GT/TurboExpress for having what the writer claims to be a screen that sufferes from blurring. In the gamesTM vol.I bookazine I have the article covering this handheld console states that the screen doesn't suffer from blurring at all.  :-

From what little i know on the subject of printing deadlines, there's supposed to be substantial cost's involved if printing deadlines are missed-know ages ago RG Magazine dropped a feature at the last minute (think it appeared in a future issue) and had to use a piece from Gamestm to fill the void as it were.This was years ago, so could'nt go into more details...

C+VG reviewers from the 8/16 Bit days often admitted writing reviews based on:P.R releases and blurb on packaging.

Might there also be a possibility of the hardware using screens from different suppliers? kinda like way orig Xbox has 2 (possibly more ?) different HDD's.I know the PSP uses different screens as my Phat does'nt suffer from the screen blur i've seen on many others.

You've also got the question of who wrote which article, lot of the stuff i read in Gamestm raised an eyebrow, when it was regarding retro.Some of the Clash Of The Titan wins that went to C64, i could'nt believe and i was a C64 owner, plus as many will know, the worst conversions feature was often absurd (yeah, slag the 2600 for poor version of Tempest or Double Dragon).

Plus i'll never forget Mega for claiming MCD had no custom chips, was just a dumb CD drive.Thunderhawk etc must have meant someone had an eggy face....

Offline DreamcastRIP

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 26, 2013, 15:39:22 PM »
Quote from: "Rogue Trooper"
Might there also be a possibility of the hardware using screens from different suppliers?

While that possibilty does exist I've certainly never read of it in the case of the PCE GT/TurboExpress's screen and I've read a fair number of articles about the system over the years.

You've also got the question of who wrote which article, lot of the stuff i read in Gamestm raised an eyebrow, when it was regarding retro.Some of the Clash Of The Titan wins that went to C64, i could'nt believe and i was a C64 owner, plus as many will know, the worst conversions feature was often absurd (yeah, slag the 2600 for poor version of Tempest or Double Dragon).

Plus i'll never forget Mega for claiming MCD had no custom chips, was just a dumb CD drive.Thunderhawk etc must have meant someone had an eggy face....

I consider this to be by far the more likely explanation.

To be clear, I'm not referring to mere differences of opinion between one magazine article writer and another, e.g. one reviewer loving a game whereas another reviewer in a different magazine give the same game a lukewarm write-up. That sort of thing is to be expected as the terms of reference are subject by their very nature. What I'm referring to here are matters of an objective nature where both reviewers simply cannot be both correct.

The only possible caveat I can think of in this specific instance is that I've read on numerous occasions that while the PCE GT/TurboExpress's screen doesn't suffer from blurring it does in fact suffer from a 'shimmering' effect when playing certain more fast-moving games. Maybe to some people they incorrectly use the term 'blurring' because, to their eyes, shimmering looks like blurring. Pure speculation on my part, obviously.

As for your other point about said Imagine Publishing publication having so often singled out Atari 2600 games within that specific negative context when there have been countless other equally dire games on myriad other console brands, then it does seem rather peculiar to me. The more seasoned gamers among us could perhaps be forgive for wondering whether such decisions are taken with one eye on not wishing to upset certain companies who pay to advertise in such magazine/s.
Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 28, 2013, 19:15:02 PM »
I just found this really bizarre demo on You Tube:

Lady Gaga Poker Face TurboGrafx 16 Pc engine conversion

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 15, 2014, 23:19:27 PM »
[align=center:1f3i16fh]Splatterhouse (TurboGrafx-16) James & Mike Mondays[/align:1f3i16fh]

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
« Reply #161 on: June 15, 2014, 23:35:18 PM »
Yep, that does look like Jason. Best way to get around the license, use a similar character and call it something else.  ;)
Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 19, 2014, 20:52:13 PM »
The original Splatterhouse on the PCE/TG is a superb game, far better than the NES version that's for sure!

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 03, 2014, 17:56:14 PM »

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
« Reply #164 on: July 05, 2014, 04:24:27 AM »
[align=center:2yjjcdhg]551 Combined TG16 - TG16CD - PC engine & PCE CD box scans[/align:2yjjcdhg]
Going to the final frontier, gaming...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal