Road Redemption, a Road Rash spiritual successor on Kickstar

Started by Minerals, April 13, 2013, 17:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minerals

[align=center:21zx1g32][size=120]Road Redemption, a Road Rash spiritual successor on Kickstarter[/size]

DarkSeas Games is looking to finance a spiritual successor to Road Rash through Kickstarter. Road Redemption is a Unity-based game for PC, Mac OSX and Linux featuring a single-player story revolving around biker gangs and drug distribution routes and online multiplayer. As you can see in the announcement video above, the Road Rash influence is palpable:

Road Redemption | Kickstarter Trailer

Melee weapons, firearms and explosives will all be tools of the trade for bikers, with a counter and parry system at the heart of combat. Bikers can also kick other bikers into oncoming traffic because bikers are violent maniacs.

Gameplay is being "geared toward experienced players," the Kickstarter page says. The developers explain the systems will feel more satisfying because of the difficulty. A few months after launch, should the Kickstarter drive yield success, DarkSeas Games will release the source code, art assets and project files to the public for modding.

It's important to note that none of the individuals involved with Road Redemption actually worked on the Road Rash series, odd considering co-designer Dan Geisler's statements on Reddit last month. When asked, "Why hasn't this game resurfaced?," Geisler responded that he wasn't ready, but is now and may even seek funding through Kickstarter. Awkward.

Road Redemption is looking for $160,000 over the next 29 days. As of right now, the campaign has pulled in around $8,000.[/align:21zx1g32]

TL

This will be what has come of the Road Rash comeback thread I posted then.

Be interesting to see how it turns out!

onthinice

AmigaJay

Yeah saw this a few days ago, tbh it was a funny look to it, can't put my finger on it, I hope it play well, though I'm looking forward to original developer doing his own version, hope he can get the I.p off eA.
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2018

Minerals

*Update*

A new video for Road Redemption shows how the Road Rash homage looks in action.

The alpha footage shows how the riding and combat mechanics will work when the game releases for PC, Wii U and Xbox 360.

Developed by Darkseas Games, the Kickstarter-funded title is a tribute to classic motorbike racer Road Rash. It was successfully funded in May 2013, and has since reached a series of stretch goals, which included its development for Wii U and Xbox 360.

The title has the official endorsement of Road Rash co-creator Dan Giesler, who wrote "I want to play that! Get funded and kick ass!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... EAZBSPU5ls

Shadowrunner

Now that looks incredible! Definitely has that Road Rash look to it and very cool it's coming to Wii U  :113:

SnakeEyes

main character model seems a little too small and too far in front of the camera for me. I wouls find that uncomfortable to play in that current mode.

TL

This looks absolutely superb!  :38:

Really shocked there is going to be a Wii U version considering how much the system is struggling.

zapiy

Wii U sales struggling is a misconception mate.

And great news it will be on the console.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TL

Quote from: "zapiy"

I assume you are joking? 5.8m is bloody terrible. The Wii has been out 2 years now and has already been outsold by the PS4.

zapiy

Maybe but 5.8 million is still a huge number and one not to be scoffed at.. I also believe they have some of there be sales periods over the past couple of months so i think releasing this will be justified.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TL

Quote from: "zapiy"Maybe but 5.8 million is still a huge number and one not to be scoffed at.. I also believe they have some of there be sales periods over the past couple of months so i think releasing this will be justified.

The Dreamcast is called a failure and sold double that in a time when the games market was smaller than it is now. 5.8 is shit mate, this is why hardly any people are supporting it, games have been cancelled and retailers have dropped it. There are just 2 shelves for the Wii U in my local game. The original Wii has just as much space and that is what 8 or 9 years old now and no longer produced!

TrekMD

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Lorfarius

Those are VGChartz ratings. They are well known for inflating figures and making them up. Nintendo hasn't released any actual sales figures beyond units shaped and they seem to be pretty cagey about releasing those!

onthinice

Quote from: "zapiy"

If these figures are even 30% close it does not bode well for console gamers. Handheld or mobile gaming seems to be more popular. Why invest in consoles if your fan base prefers mobile gaming?

I will admit those sales figures for all three consoles seem low.

As for Road Redemption. Looks good.

Wish list - Plays similar to the 3DO, Playstation and Saturn versions of Road Rash. Like Road Rash 3 on the Genesis, helicopters can knock you off your bike and spray paint is easier to take from an opponent.