Jaguar Game Reviews - A look back

Started by TL, April 12, 2013, 22:18:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DreamcastRIP

Interesting to read those reviews. Thanks for posting them, Laird.
Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Arethius_RGC

In France, the reviews where quite different from honest to total bullshit.

But we did not got one riview for every Jaguar games, some games were never reviewed... Ex Brutal Sport Football, Iwar, Fewer Pitch Soccer, etc...

TL

Right I have just spent an hour or so scanning in pages from C&VG magazine for you lovely folks so I will start posting scans, starting with the earliest stuff:

TL

C&VG's rather generous reviews of the notorious Checkered Flag and Club Drive:

Shadowrunner

I might get chased out of here for saying it but I think Club Drive is a great game  :10:
Sure it's blocky and doesn't look the greatest but it controls very well, has a great sense of speed and it's fun.

TL

Here are the next lot for you:

The Atari Karts review came much later than all the rest posted so far, it just shows how the tide changed from liking the Jaguar in the earlier years but as soon as the PlayStation came along it was suddenly rubbish  :29:

onthinice

Quote from: "Shadowrunner"I might get chased out of here for saying it but I think Club Drive is a great game  :35: It is a great system, but some of the games that are highly regarded, to me look outdated and past there prime.  :21: 

TrekMD

Interesting read on the AVP review.  :)  The second opinion was also spot on for some of the issues with sound.  Of course, I think they that on purpose to create more tension for the player.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Shadowrunner

Quote from: "onthinice"
Quote from: "Shadowrunner"I might get chased out of here for saying it but I think Club Drive is a great game  :35: It is a great system, but some of the games that are highly regarded, to me look outdated and past there prime.  :21:

Thanks  ;)
Going back and playing early 3D games can be a little hard I'll agree but the nostalgia value makes them enjoyable.

TL

More from C&VG - Iron Soldier and Hover Strike

Rogue Trooper

Great to see the mag pages/scans on DVD etc  i've sent appearing on here for all to enjoy Laird, i personally really appreciate the time your putting in to get them up on here, slow process i know, but far better they are here, than sat in my cupboards, lol.

I was quite 'miffed' with C+VG's Iron Solider review, seemed very small minded, moaning about text briefing screens etc and game not looking as nice as Metal Head on 32X (A game which i bought and found horrendous, great texture mapping, but real chore to play, plodding pace even for a Mech game)-seemed reviewers were bigger fans of Metal Head and that shone through.

Hoverstike i had a love/hate realationship with, i stuck with the game (loved the lighting effects), but controls needed adressing as did the waypoint/radar screen, spent far too long just trying to work out just how the hell i was meant to get to blip on radar for my next objective.

TL

I think that is the lowest score I ever saw for Iron Soldier, most magazines of the day seemed to love it and it was one of the top 5 best selling games for the Jaguar over it's short lifespan. I bought it the day it came out and loved it, I got hours and hours of play out of it, I had never played a game anything like it before at the time.

I also got Hover Strike on release and was a big fan, mainly because of the stunning graphics and atmospheric sound. The gameplay was a little rough but that didn't seem to bother me so much when I was playing a true next-gen game. But when CD version came out, it was the first Jaguar CD I bought and I got it in my local EB, I was just blown away. It not only fixed all the things wrong with the cart version but improved upon it massively with even better lighting effects, more textures, higher poly count and far smoother frame rate. I still think it looks better than most PS1 and Saturn games that were around at the time.

Rogue Trooper

EDGE, Ult.Future Games, Gamesmaster etc all rated Iron Solider far better and fairer than C+VG did-It really captured the 'feel' of you being in a walking powerhouse just swatting choppers out of the sky, crushy punny tanks under foot, knocking down tower blocks etc etc.

Later generation games like Slave zero on DC, totally failed (for myself) to capture that feeling that you were in control of such power...

Hoverstrike-Sad as this sounds, i would often just park up, fire missiles etc into the dark and watch as it lit up the surrounding walls etc.Gorgeous.

TL

Quote from: "Rogue Trooper"Hoverstrike-Sad as this sounds, i would often just park up, fire missiles etc into the dark and watch as it lit up the surrounding walls etc.Gorgeous.

I did this too!  :16:

TL