Jaguar Skunk Boards

Started by Shadowrunner, October 11, 2012, 22:17:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadowrunner

If anybody is still interested in one of these I see the Goat Store has put the last ones up for sale. They wont be making any more so other then ebay this is your last chance.

They raised the price though to just over $150 a piece. Too pricey for me plus I'm nowhere near competent enough with a computer to use one. lol

[align=center:2d1o3wir][/align:2d1o3wir]

zapiy

That's priced me out of the market as well..

Cheers for the heads up though. ;)

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TL

I was gonna post this too, you beat me to it.

If I had the money I would buy one but I am too poor.

TL

Looks like there is going to be a new run:

QuoteSkunkboard production batch.
Declare list.

Hi.

As I promissed on SillyVenture 2013, I will manufacture a batch of SkunkBoards.
To start the batch, I need minimum 100 declarations of buy. (25 at This Moment)

Price will be €65 (ca. $91 atm) + shipping, if you declare buy until deadline: 23.03.2014.
And €75, if you will not declare and it will be something taht was not sold.
The price is including VAT, and all taxes in EU.
If You live outside EU, Import duties may apply or something.

The license will be Donationware: Do you like it? - Donate to the designers.

This announce will be published on more places, so remember to put yourself only in one of them.

Thanks.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/223026-skunkboard-production-batch-declare-list/

Bit silly only posting it on AtariAge though given just how many people in the Jag scene don't go there!

TrekMD

Cool to see a new run is going to be released. 

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

rush6432

Meh, its just going to get bought up fast and sold for profit on ebay like usual me thinks.

I guess i could be wrong, but... Lets face it, most are buying this to load roms of games they dont own on to it so they can play them, otherwise why the heck would you be loading a copy of say AVP or any other title on to the skunk if you already own the physical cart?

Not many are into developing for the jaguar these days anymore so it really only leaves that one avenue pretty much.

ls650

Um, I can't speak for others, but that certainly isn't true for me. 

I have a Skunk v2 and find it is absolutely terrific for any Jaguar fan.  Right now mine has two homebrew releases on it: Fallen Angels, and Kobayashi Maru.  My Skunk gets used a lot, but almost exclusively for homebrews.

Commercially release ROMs?  I think I tried HyperForce once for about 10 minutes to see whether it's worth spending $90 on.  It isn't: I thought it was a terrible game, and promptly erased it.  I also tried out Wolfenstein 3D because I hadn't played it in a long time, loved it, and promptly bought a used cartridge off eBay.  That's it.

Let's not generalize, eh?  It doesn't even make sense to play a game like AvP on a Skunkboard, because there's no save game feature.

rush6432

Well i said most, not all... i did try to leave it open ended there because i know there are people like yourself that use it for what its intended purpose is but i guess my post did come off a little more narrow than it should have.

Anyhow, AVP was just an example, the point was that you wouldnt just flash a rom of a game you already owned in physical form to the skunkboard because you can just pop the cart in and play and have save support (if supported).

But like i said, it wont deter people from using it for a pirate flash cart... you already admitted you had with hyperforce even though it was for checking it out to see if you wanted to buy it. Unfortunately its still stealing if you download the rom and flash it and play it without paying, even if its to check it out.

It shouldnt be available easily and i can bet you did have to look for it more so than any other snes/sega rom.

Now i know you cant really tell someone how to use their flash cart which is fine its your hardware to do with what you please, but developers can certainly stop making stuff due to the fact that anyone can dump it and then upload the rom for all to play for free And many have and alot of good jag titles have been lost due to this issue. 

With the skunk source code being released, anyone can now rip out the protection that blocks titles like battlesphere, mad bodies and just play them if they happen to have the roms and it would not suprise me one bit if that protection is removed on this run of skunks..

Anyhow, im not trying to start giant debate here or insult anyone or start a fight honestly, just pointing out something that seems to be brushed over quite a bit and most turn a blind eye to or apply their own rules to.

TL

I have always wanted a Skunk for playing the homebrews and protos that are not on CD or cartridge and for doing testing. But I missed out on the first couple of runs as I was totally skint both times sadly. Seen as this is only being offered for sale at AA I guess I will be missing out on this too.