Any Arcade owners?

Started by zapiy, February 28, 2012, 08:04:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zapiy

This is one system I don't own. I guess I just don't have the spare room to justify owning one but ultimately I aim to own one at somepoint.

Anyone here own one?

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

tomwaits

I have three cabs in my garage, a countertop Neo Geo knockoff in my bedroom (:D), and a supergun.

Everything was pretty cheap, but they definitely take some on-going maintenance and take up a lot of space... not just space for the cabs but I've ended up with dozens of arcade PCBs over the last few years. There are so many great games that either never had home versions or had sub-par home ports. Also MAME is never 100% accurate and, to me, if you're going to make the effort to play in a real cab you should be playing an original PCB instead of semi-accurate emulation.

My cabs are:
- 25" Capcom Dynamo... currently marqueed as X-Men vs SF. It's horizontal JAMMA with a 2P, 6 button control panel so I can use it with most horizontal PCBs.
- 19" Guerrilla War... wired for vertical JAMMA with either a 2P rotary stick control panel or a standard stick 2P 2 button control panel. I can swap the control panel in about 10 minutes.
- 13" Neo Geo countertop... Mostly for the kids and currently running a 20-in-1 multi-Taito PCB. (Bubble Bobble!)
- Millipede... non-working. Gradually buying/replacing parts as I can afford it.

Some collectors like having dedicated original cabs for arcade classics but I'm happy sticking a JAMMA converter on my non-JAMMA PCBs. I'd rather have versatile cabs that cover each genre.

Eventually I'd like to add a light gun cab, 25" vertical JAMMA cab (keep Guerrilla War as a dedicated rotary), hi-res cab for my Naomi/Atomiswave, and a 2P linked sit-down racer. Then my garcade would be complete... until I find some cheap pinball machines. :D

zapiy

I am soo jealous fella. If you fancy putting up some pictures some day feel free.

If my garage ever gets a clear out I guess thats the most logical place for one to go.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

guest4291

I has this:

Only gets used so often.   The trackball makes my arm flare up if used too much.

Eventually, if I can stop buying random things long enough to save up more, I'll probably buy.... er.... something else.  One of them big compilation ones fulla random retro titles.

Sure as heck have enough space in the basement for the damn things. 

zapiy

Ok I thought this deserved to be revived in the hope we have a few others with real machines.

ArcadeAction

These days I've managed to collect and restore quite a few games. I specifically sought out the ones that I either played at the arcade and/or especially the ones that I had the console version of on Atari. For once in my life, it's fun to have no compromises and have that arcade perfect experience - with the real controls, the real monitor, and the feeling you get of walking up to a machine, putting in that quarter and going after your high score! I actually just finished up my restoration of my Pacman tonight! Woodwork, sanding, filling, painting, electronics, monitor and NOS parts to boot. http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=338826

Equally important to me is having a good place to play and display them as they are as much works of art as they are games to me so I've got them in a room with a high ceiling, track lighting, neon lights and a speckled floor.

My collection includes: Pacman (with Pac/MsPac/JrPac/SuperPac), Donkey Kong (DK,DKjr, DK3), Punch-Out!!/Super Punch-Out!!, Mario Bros, Qbert (Qbert/Qubes), Jungle King, Galaga, Bosconian, Burger Time, Frogger, S.T.U.N. Runner, Asteroids Deluxe, Gravitar/Black Widow, Millipede (w/Centipede), Dig Dug, Sega ST-V System, Ivan Stewart's Super Off-Road, Outrun, Pole Position Cockpit (PP1 & PP2), Street Fighter 2 Pinball, Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo (w/ many SF games), Street Fighter III: Third Strike Capcom Impress, Joust and Moon Patrol.

It does take a lot of work to get them going, but they are special.

zapiy

Reall great to have a collector like you aboard, this is something i want to get into, and given time and the space i will be..

Sadly that link you posted does not work, in fact i can view the page but no content... Perhaps its blocked for guest viewing?

ArcadeAction

Quote from: "zapiy"Reall great to have a collector like you aboard, this is something i want to get into, and given time and the space i will be..

Sadly that link you posted does not work, in fact i can view the page but no content... Perhaps its blocked for guest viewing?

Oh, I guess it requires a login... Here's a few photos of Pacman though.

ArcadeAction

and the after shots... The hot sauce is signed by Billy M. himself. And had to put my Atari 5200 Pacman up there as well...

ArcadeAction

Shadowrunner

zapiy

My man.........those are awesome.. bloody great work

I take it you purchased new artwork for the sides and front?

ArcadeAction

Quote from: "zapiy"My man.........those are awesome.. bloody great work

I take it you purchased new artwork for the sides and front?

Actually, I didn't purchase new artwork. I did it all by hand and I just painted right on top of the original artwork to restore and preserve the original feel of the cabinet. The original cabinet art was painted right on the wood. There are stencil kits you can buy for a couple hundred and vinyl stickers you can put on, but for $20 I just got some color matched paint and took my time and went at it!

zapiy

Wow, dedication right there my friend..

Bravo  :113:

ArcadeAction

Quote from: "zapiy"Wow, dedication right there my friend..

Bravo  :113:

Ha, ha.... well I figure if you're gonna go, you might as well go all out. They are called dedicated arcade machines for more reasons than one :-)