Author Topic: Any Arcade owners?  (Read 17866 times)

Offline Cryptic33

• View Profile
Re: Any Arcade owners?
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2019, 08:31:18 AM »
Is it true trak-ball mode or just a trak-ball controller in joystick mode?
good question. All I can tell you is I remember reading the manual for the XL/XE version and it is explained in there. If you can find a scan of the manual, it will hopefully answer your question. I know, it was the reason I spent many years searching for an Atari trackball.
For the record, Alien verses Predator on the Atari Jaguar holds a Guinness World Record!

To remove any awkwardness, I have mesothelioma. I don’t seek sympathy, just acceptance. Thanks

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2019, 12:09:52 PM »
Found the manual online.  It doesn't mention trak-ball control anywhere (Crystal Castles XE Game Manual).  So, my guess is that it only supports trak-ball control in joystick mode.
Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline Cryptic33

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2019, 13:18:35 PM »
Found the manual online.  It doesn't mention trak-ball control anywhere (Crystal Castles XE Game Manual).  So, my guess is that it only supports trak-ball control in joystick mode.
Ok, that is odd. I mean, I’m not too surprised if it is simply mapped to the joystick because Atari often took the easy route out. However, I do remember reading something about this. Hmm, thinking on the official trackball unit had a switch underneath it that you could move tojoystick mode. Or something like that. It sounds a bit odd but I remember reading that only a small handful of games were trackball compatible. Sorry I wasn’t more help, it is a frustrating issue.
For the record, Alien verses Predator on the Atari Jaguar holds a Guinness World Record!

To remove any awkwardness, I have mesothelioma. I don’t seek sympathy, just acceptance. Thanks

Offline Cryptic33

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2019, 13:38:52 PM »
Ok, I’ve found the answer that was confusing me. The trackball manual talks about compatible games and that if they do support true trackball control, then the game manual should state this. Ergo, you seem correct in that Crystal Castles was not programmed for the trackball. I share your frustration. The only saving grace is that Missile Command was compatible as this is referenced specifically in the trackball manual (available from Atari Mania). I’ve uploaded a picture of the section which refers to the “J” and “T” selections. I’m glad we’ve solved the mystery but this explains my disappointment when I did get a trackball and it was only playable in joystick mode for Crystal Castles. I don’t know how many other games have true trackball compatibility but I’d be interested in hearing your thoughts on trying it with Missile Command.

Offline HomerRamone2084

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2019, 14:26:24 PM »
Getting to the bottom of the hidden ramp quickly with your hat is just way too much like hard work with a controller !

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2019, 14:39:31 PM »
So, I still wish CC for the 8-bit got hacked for true trak-ball control.  :)

Offline Cryptic33

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2019, 16:31:04 PM »
Getting to the bottom of the hidden ramp quickly with your hat is just way too much like hard work with a controller !

Ah yes, level 3. That trick is quite difficult, the hardest of the three. I used to try and get in the bottom right corner and jump as the ramp starts to lower. You can’t see a lot with the annoying tree and you have to stay calm whilst being lifted and then navigating the hidden ramp. I more often as not would work my way through the levels to get to the third warp on level 5 rather than keep dying whilst trying that warp. Very satisfying when you can pull it off mind you.

So, I still wish CC for the 8-bit got hacked for true trak-ball control.  :)
With you on that one 👍🏻

Offline HomerRamone2084

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2019, 20:53:04 PM »
Aye.
I was in the top 3 of the scoreboards on the XB version of arcade classics with this on :)

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2019, 23:14:36 PM »
Aye.
I was in the top 3 of the scoreboards on the XB version of arcade classics with this on :)

Awesome!

Offline TuxedoMarty

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 21, 2020, 00:23:55 AM »
If Arcade1UP counts, then yes, I have a full sized Final Fight cab, and a countertop Space Invaders machine.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal