RetroN 5

Started by Shadowrunner, March 25, 2013, 14:06:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saturn

That's too bad about the lag. Been hearing about bluetooth having that on a lot of systems. While searching on the topic I've found hundreds of threads with complaints but never a solution. Hopefully a firmware upgrade will do the trick! Looks like a solid way to play some classics, otherwise.

TrekMD

Hopefully.  If not, I'll just get an SNES controller since they can be plugged into the console.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

zapiy

Lag will be the problem when it's not done right. Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo have proven it can be done.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

vandro

See the lag for me will be really frustrating. Some of these platform  games need that perfect timing. I suppose it would give me something to blame for always losing [emoji41]

TrekMD

Rerez recently posted a review of this system.  Check it out:

Saturn

Great review and very informative. Saved me from buying one.
While it appears great for playing the originals, not storing the data internally means keeping the entire library of multiple systems around. I understand making it difficult for piracy but these systems' roms and emus are abundantly available anyway and there's just not enough room for me to conveniently store thousands of game cartridges in the event I want to play one... on hardware... containing an emulator. :-\

zapiy

Great point @Saturn one that ultimately changes my mind from ever owning one.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

I have one and I like it because of the upscaling of the games.  They look very nice and I use my 65" TV to play them.  :)

TrekMD

I decided to play my Genesis, SNES, and GBA/GBC Christmas & Winter themed games on Christmas day using the N5. It was cool playing the games on the system using my UHD TV.  The games looked great but I will definitely say that the controller sucks!  I kept getting killed when playing Daze Before Christmas (Genesis) and Thor's Quest (SNES).  I do have the regular controllers so used them instead.  Suprisingly, I did not have as much of an issue when playing the GBA/GBC games.

TrekMD

Just watched this video from Metal Jesus talking about the N5 and I have to agree pretty much with what they have said here.  Check it out:

Saturn

Sounds like some excellent selling points. That machine plays so many different games! Wow

May have to pick one up just for the HDMI.
(btw, nerd chick is hot!)

TrekMD

I've enjoyed having this because it does play so many different systems and sometimes I just plug this to my HDTV and play Genesis, SNES, NES, and GB games without having to change systems.  It is convenient.  I do use the original controllers, though.  That controller that came with it is just awful!

VictorLazarus

I admittedly don't have a Retron 5, but I do own a Retro Freak, which I very much recommend.

Pretty much the same thing, but has PC Engine / Turbografx support, and can save the cartridge ROM files to MICRO SD, so you don't have to change carts. It will also play downloaded ROMs if you are so inclined. I use this feature if one of my games is not working on the system.

I was having a lot of trouble with my limited space having all my consoles connected at once. The emulation isn't always perfect as expected, but it lets me stream in high quality and play import games.
(You need to buy the premium Edition of USB adapter to use original controllers though)

I did a full review of that system if anyone's interested in the alternative:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oUvCAyv1uJU

TrekMD

Cool.  I had heard of the Retro Freak and debated which one to get but ended up with the Retron 5. 

zapiy