RetroN 5

Started by Shadowrunner, March 25, 2013, 14:06:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lorfarius

All the reviews I've seen talk about how tough its grip is on the actual cartridges. Seen a couple where's the systems broken in a couple of days because of the effort it takes to pull them out.

davyk

Forgot about that - yeah - that would need to be resolved - especially given the flimsy build. My 7800 grips onto carts pretty hard but it's so well built it isn't an issue.

bogstandard

I like to dump my own games and then keep the physical carts safe.  At one point I had all my flash carts on one Retron 3.  Sadly, I could never quite get the joysticks or games I wanted to use to work reliably.

After the delays and price hikes and weird politicizing of flash cart support I cancelled my pre-order.  I think this machine is a wonderful solution for the casual gamer who will never buy a framemeister.  Me?  I ain't gonna risk getting my Action 52 worn out in this thing.

zapiy

Looks like the Eu version will ship before xmas now.. Anyone got one or getting one?

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Lorfarius

They still haven't said whether the build quality will be improved so I'm avoiding it til its known for sure.

SnakeEyes

I have had one for a few months now and love it.

NES and Snes slots are fine, no problems at all on mine. all regions working fine.

MD is a little tight, but nothing too bad. I just use an import adpator in the slot, leave it in there at all times and just plug the MD games into that which means I never have to insert and remove carts all the time.

Famicom worries me a little, a bit too tight TBH and it feels like it could be a problem. official carts are a little better tham the pirate and multicarts. for some reason ( may be a thicker connector ) the console has a death grip on those.

GBA is fine and it upscales GB and GBA games and makes them look great.

EchoPark

Fancy getting one of these for the office as room is quite tight in there, but with all the delays and how long it took just annoyed me. I may look in to it after xmas though, money is tight.
Gamer/Geocaching/Hockey!

zapiy

Yeah i would like one but i am spending way to much on retro gear at the moment (not half as much as Trek though lol)

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

zapiy

TrekMD

I saw one during FreePlay Florida that the one vendor of retro systems had.  I don't think he sold it, though.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Gorf

Quote from: "Scooter-Computer"I think my explanation on that confused him.  I used too many old words, like "Abandonware"

Legally, there is no such thing as 'Abandonware'. That was a term made up by those, even those of respectable reputation, to justify IP infringement. Many IP owners usually do nothing about old franchises that no one seems to
care about, but that does not make it legal to distribute such IP's. The Laws are very clear. Unless something is released to the public with notice( as with the Atari Jaguar back in the day), those who copy and distribute 'abandonware' are opening themselves up to litigation. You'd be hard pressed to find a lawyer or judge who will recognizes the term as legitimate.

Gorf

Quote from: "Shadowrunner"[align=center:lmvn16q0][/align:lmvn16q0]

I'm sure everyone has seen the RetroN 3, it allowed you to play NES, SNES, and Genesis / MegaDrive games. Well they just announced the RetroN 5 and now you can add Gameboy and Gameboy Advance games to the list. I just might get one of these now.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/24/hyperkin-retron-5-plays-cartridges-of-nine-classic-consoles/

NES, SNES, and Genesis / MegaDrive games
Gameboy and Gameboy Advance

That's a lot of reasons NOT to want this system...not to mention if Gone is correct about the emulation. Never had much love for any of the games on those systems and games I don't like not being properly emulated....well.....

zapiy

TrekMD

Now that I have a Retron N5, I'm thinking of getting some SNES games for it.  Does anyone know if there are SNES titles that don't work with the N5?  Right now I'm looking at getting Super Metroid, Super Mario Bros, Classic Kong, and F-Zero. 

TrekMD

Played some SNES and Genesis games today with my N5.  Really cool being able to play the games with this bit of hardware.  I did notice an issue with the control, though.  There seems to be some lag.  Maybe I need to do a firmware update on it.  Also, found it difficult getting used to the controller it came with.  I may need to get an SNES controller just so I can better play the SNES games.  Mr. Do! was difficult to control and I am thinking it had to do with the Bluetooth controller.