RetroN 5

Started by Shadowrunner, March 25, 2013, 14:06:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadowrunner

[align=center:r57m32x6][/align:r57m32x6]

I'm sure everyone has seen the RetroN 3, it allowed you to play NES, SNES, and Genesis / MegaDrive games. Well they just announced the RetroN 5 and now you can add Gameboy and Gameboy Advance games to the list. I just might get one of these now.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/24/hyperkin-retron-5-plays-cartridges-of-nine-classic-consoles/

TL

If the emulation is as bad as the previous Retron consoles then you will be better off with the real thing.

Shadowrunner

Yeah I don't know, from what I've read the emulation on these have gotten a lot better with each version. Most reviews I've seen of the RetroN 3 are very positive so I'll wait and see what they have to say about this new one once it's released.
My NES is pretty much dead at this point so I need something to play those games on plus I'd finally be able to play some SNES games. Also the ability to play Japanese Famicon, Super Famicon and MegaDrive games would be cool and then there's all the Gameboy games. Another great feature is it has an SD slot so you can save games at any point and it has HDMI output.

onthinice

Thanks Shadowrunner! I'm not to familiar with the RetroN 3. I have heard that Nes machines are selling big time. Either people dislike these retro systems or the Wii virtual console has made playing on the original system popular again.

TrekMD

Had never heard of this.  Then again, I'm not much into Nintendo consoles. 

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Shadowrunner

Quote from: "onthinice"Thanks Shadowrunner! I'm not to familiar with the RetroN 3. I have heard that Nes machines are selling big time. Either people dislike these retro systems or the Wii virtual console has made playing on the original system popular again.

No problem! I have noticed the price of NES systems has gone up lately. I just figured it was because retro gaming is such a big fad right now but you may have a point.

onthinice

I used to be an early bird with system purchases. Now I wait and see. But I will say, the RetroN 3 really looks neat.

Arethius_RGC

Could be interessing in my future game room.... But I'm almost certain the PAL will be very badly supported... Like the Supaboy :(

TL

[align=center:2t50ntma]retron 5 unboxing and gameplay[/align:2t50ntma]

TrekMD

Gotta love how compact this basic model is.  Truly amazing!   :21:

Scooter-Computer

I went to Gamestop today to see if they had any in stock, and the dude said "We only sell legit systems. Those Retrons aren't on the down low with their illegal copying of the hardware"...I let him know that the patents were expired, and therefore they are legal and legit. Then I left. If it's not old, I don't want it.

TrekMD

Quote from: "Scooter-Computer"I went to Gamestop today to see if they had any in stock, and the dude said "We only sell legit systems. Those Retrons aren't on the down low with their illegal copying of the hardware"...I let him know that the patents were expired, and therefore they are legal and legit. Then I left. If it's not old, I don't want it.

Looks like you had a very typical and misinformed moron answer your questions at the store.  What a surprise!  NOT!

TL

Quote from: "Scooter-Computer"I went to Gamestop today to see if they had any in stock, and the dude said "We only sell legit systems. Those Retrons aren't on the down low with their illegal copying of the hardware"...I let him know that the patents were expired, and therefore they are legal and legit. Then I left. If it's not old, I don't want it.

They don't use real hardware anyway, they are purely emulation based, which is perfectly legal.

Scooter-Computer

I think my explanation on that confused him.  I used too many old words, like "Abandonware"

TL

[align=center:1hktus1f]Retron 5 Game Console Review[/align:1hktus1f]