RetroN 5

Started by Shadowrunner, March 25, 2013, 14:06:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davyk

Can't ever see light gun games working - that's a display issue. Not having composite is no big deal to me - I would get this to play on modern TVs

Not surprised unofficial carts don't work - wouldn't really care about that.

Pretty sure the cart save transfer will be fixed with a patch.

The cart lockon not working is interesting - will depend on whether the unit can access piggy backed carts. They will have to be able to emulate the code that does that on the carts themselves.

Overall - looks promising - will probably wait for a few upgrades to see if the bugs get fixed - if so then I reckon it will be worth getting.

SnakeEyes

Looking Forward to the Retron 5.

I collect cartridges, and its a nice quick way of making sure they work. It means I can have a CRT with all the original consoles setup in the games room, but have a nice all in one system on the HD TV in the other room in one neat package.

I don't like using emulators and roms on PC. I realise the Retron is emulation but it still means I can use the physical cartridge I have personally bought and added to my collection. It still gives me that nice feeling of opening the box and putting the cartridge in the machine.

I only like playing games I have in my collection, there is something I find much more exciting in buying a game, waiting for it to arrive and looking forward to sitting down and playing it.

Just picking a Rom from a list sucks the excitement out of it for me.

TL

I still don't see the point of this console. If I wanted to emulate I would just use a PC.

Thankfully I have a nice set of original hardware and so this is of no use to me anyway.

davyk

Have to say I have the hardware I'm interested in already  too - that being SNES, MD and GBA. I don't have much interest in the other stuff though the Famicom library would be good to investigate. However the fact that I could play those games on a modern TV as CRTs become less available is the main attraction for me.

Being able to backup cartridges as a measure against battery failure is a nice feature too (provided they get it working of course).

SnakeEyes

Quote from: "The Laird"I still don't see the point of this console. If I wanted to emulate I would just use a PC.

Thankfully I have a nice set of original hardware and so this is of no use to me anyway.

Thats just it though, you don't need to see the point. People want it, if you don't want it then so be it. it does not have to justify its existence to you.

as for the emulation and PC, guess you never read all of my post, because I explained mine and many other peoples reasons for wanting it.

You are acting like just because you have no interest and don't understand the appeal that it should somehow not exist.

TL

Quote from: "SnakeEyes"You are acting like just because you have no interest and don't understand the appeal that it should somehow not exist.

Nope.

I am saying that PERSONALLY I don't see the point. If others do then good for them, we are all welcome to our own views and opinions.

zapiy

Yeah from my point of view as a family man with a wife that prides herself on the way the house looks.. (not clutter of my gaming stuff lol) I have all the next gen and previous gen systems in the living room. Having something like this means i can do much more with much less room lol. :113:

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

SnakeEyes

Quote from: "The Laird"
Quote from: "SnakeEyes"You are acting like just because you have no interest and don't understand the appeal that it should somehow not exist.

Nope.

I am saying that PERSONALLY I don't see the point. If others do then good for them, we are all welcome to our own views and opinions.

No, people have told you why they want it, that is the point of it right there clear as day.

What you mean is that it has no use for you, which is fine.  but it blatently has a point as has been mentioned.

Its like me, I dont have any interest at all in Jaguar Homebrew, not in the slightest. However I dont go around saying I don't see the point in Jaguarhomebrew because I  understandOther people enjoy it and collect. That is the point of it, and I can see that.

Seriously Laird, we had a nice clear the air a while back, but this is why sometimes people get frustrated with you and you don't even realise why.

Why not just admit that yes it obviously does have a point because people want it, just that it has no interest to you. or even that you don't see the point in owning one for yourself.

but just to blanket sytatement saying that you don't see the point of the console at all, despite people telling you why they want it is just annoying.

Bobinator

Personally? Simply put, I'm just into this thing for the space this would save me. I work with a very limited amount of space in the place where I keep my games, you see, so that would be super helpful in regards to that.

zapiy

And thats the reason more than any other why this will sell..

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TL

Arethius_RGC

I have an issue with this machine it is only a standard issue... I' m quite sure PAL games will not work properly...

That´s to bad...

Send cia Iphone/ Tapatalk

davyk

The video Laird posted shows PAL and NTSC games working - did you watch the video?

Arethius_RGC

I actually did not watch the video... Because I am currently on vacation and using Tapatalk to talk with you guys.

On tapatalk the video have no spund (at least on my end) so I did not bother seeîg it.

It serms to be a mistake, sorry guys.
Now for my defense I owe a SupaBoy and the PAL compatible games list is very short and suprising.

So sorry for my missunderstanding.

Send cia Iphone/ Tapatalk

davyk

ah...OK.

Overall it seems very close to being a good solution for playing retro games on the couch with a modern TV, and an excellent solution to battery death in cartridges.