Epic days of gaming.

Started by nakamura, March 22, 2013, 18:45:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nakamura

Epic days of gaming. I am something of a current gen grump, I do play new games but rarely do I find titles I enjoy as much as older ones. It sometimes feels like the best days of gaming are behind us, I married and older and have much less free time.

So this week we had an epic day of gaming. A friend came over who is something of a retro fan but not quite on the same level as some of us. We got the SNES and the Wii (emulators) out to have a full day of 2 player action and it was superb.

We started on Return of Double Dragon and I told Simon not to be put off by the bad visuals. On running a demo, we made a cuppa and a nice grimace spread across his face, DD was not a pretty game in 1992 let alone now. Anyway he joined in the two player action and after about 15 mins was in love. We played it right the way to the end but died just before the last set of bosses.

Next we moved on to Contra 3. It was insanely hard and we managed to lose all of our lives about 1/3 of the way through level 1. Dropped down to easy and managed to make level 3. Still very good fun!

Next up was Goof Troop. A game that rarely gets mentioned in any forums I post on and something that is superb fun, especially in 2 player. After explaining the game in a less than convincing fashion, we set off. Again after 15 mins or so we were having a blast and managed to play it all the way to completion in around 3 hours.

After that came Turtles IV:Turtles in Time. Instant love with this one. We were already having such a laugh anyway and this game is so fluid and easy to play. We played on standard settings and got all the way to the last boss and got owned. Brilliant stuff.

Inbetween games we popped a few other bits on, Sunset Riders, Wild Guns and a few rom hacks. Also have so much stuff to play through on our next local retro session.

Times like this are far too rare now. If you don't do it, I urge anyone to set up a session with mates.  :1:

TL

My brother (Minerals) and I do this quiet regularly and it's awesome!

You played some superb games there! Contra 2, Turtles In Time and Sunset Riders are among my favourite games on the SNES.  :16:

nakamura

Yeah Sunset Riders was ace, first time I ever played it too!

I wanted to get out some MD stuff too but he had one as a kid and wanted more SNES experience. Planning Zombies, Donkey Kong Country and a few others next time. Should really do it more.

Post your great gaming days here!

Rogue Trooper

Great as online gaming has been, nothing yet has come close to the glory days of my early-late teens, everyone crowding into a mates house for World Games or Cal.games on the C64, or rushing off the school bus with yer mates, piling into the newsagents and coming out armed with latest copy of zzap 64, then deciding amongst us who was getting what.

Later years saw a mates brother buy an ST and we were gobsmacked by it, we all ended up buying 1 within months, then came the joy (and chaos!) of lugging an ST+TV set round your mates house linking them up for Falcon, Stunt Car Racer, Armour-Geddon frolics, we also used to have EPIC lords Of Chaos sessions, you had to leave the room when it was other players turn and sit out on the landing, lol.

as years passed and we matured, moved out, rented places of our own, were earning for the 1st time, some went the console route, some the PC route, but we always had gaming nights, SOR 2, Unreal T., Driver, Starlancer, Soul Reaver, many games over many years, it was never about the system specs, just beer, fun and lots of swearing LOL.

Now, many have given up gaming other than iOS, won't touch Retro and for those of us who've stayed with it? starting to feel our time has passed, PS4 etc social aspects not aimed at us, the arcades we used to frequent long since closed, the OMG!!! aspect of new hardware (seeing the ST, the MD and Playstation for 1st time etc) again, seems long forgotten as things just look 'better'...

Where did the time go, we've aged, but has the industry grown up with us i wonder? nowadays it's all 'see you online', i'll PM you..headsets and the like, social..but distant.

nakamura

I've had some awesome online gaming nights and I think it's overall a superb thing but nothing beats a bit of local.

Rogue Trooper

Quote from: "nakamura"I've had some awesome online gaming nights and I think it's overall a superb thing but nothing beats a bit of local.

Had utter carnage online with Blur and friends, some EPIC Demon's Souls gaming (taking down bosses with total strangers, made new online friends, had a few people guide me through levels i was stuck on for ages, getting invaded on this and Dark Souls0, went through periods of COD with friends, KZ3, bit of AVP+Dead Space, more recently Hydro Thunder H.on 360, Final Fight on PSN, but on flipside the mouthy twats on COD, the rage quiters, the disconects etc.

Last real EPIC gaming session i had, was'nt even planned, mate had bought a 360, no idea what cable etc to use for HD connection, so popped round just to set it up for him in HD, that done, started playing through a few games, he said can you get us through this early bit on Black Ops? did that, left his place about 8 hrs later, after hammering through his 360 collection.

zapiy

I love doing the same, don't get the chance as much as the old days but every now and then we do manage it.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC