Let's Compare The Ghosts 'n Goblins & Ghouls 'n Ghosts Serie

Started by TrekMD, March 17, 2013, 21:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

TL

I love the look of these games but they are just too bloody hard for my liking! The only version I own is the MD one because I picked it up cheap.

TrekMD

This game is very hard indeed.  I have the PSP version and I have never been able to get very far.  Still, it is an excellent game.

TrekMD

Maybe he'll see them here and make an updated video!  :)

zapiy

The Amiga Version is my favourite. Looks and sounds fantastic.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TL

Rogue Trooper

Had the C64 versions of both Ghouls n Ghosts+Ghosts m Goblins, completed and loved both, music on both was superb, visuals took a hit on Ghouls on opening level but improved as game went on.

so, other 8 Bit versions then? very impressed by the GBC version, NES looks fine, but god-awful sound, MS, nice backgrounds, but sprite flicker and messy sprites ruin the look for myself.

Speccy:Lol, main sprite is far too fat, very weak audio, not keen on the look of this version to be honest, CPC has good music, nice and colourful, but messy visuals and rubbish scrolling.

As for versions on more powerful hardware-SNES/GBA version a remix, so not going to compare to straight ports,i had the MD game for a while, great but too tough to really get anywhere on an own the PSP game which looks gorgeous, but is 1 tough mutha.

tomwaits

I played Ghosts and Goblins for hours on the NES... thought it was great back then, but hard to overlook the bad music and flicker now. Ghouls and Ghosts is still one of my favorite Genesis (MD) games. Excellent port. I don't think I played another version of the first two games until Capcom Generations 2 on the Saturn. When I play them now, I just play the Capcom Classics compilation for PS2 or PSP.

GnG might be my favorite gaming franchise ever. The core games are amazing and I've enjoyed every related game/spinoff. The Demon's Crest/Gargoyle Quest titles are great. The Incredible Toons spinoff is a fun puzzle game. The franchise even made a decent transition to 3D with the Maximo games. And Arthur is my most played character in MvC3.

But, the franchise has also tainted my opinion of two gaming platforms. I bought the SNES at launch but was more interested in the upcoming Super Ghouls n Ghosts than the other launch window games. And... first exposure to SNES slowdown. Huge disappointment and sent me back to Genesis/Amiga as my primary systems for that era. The Capcom Classics version reduces the slowdown and finally showed what Super GnG should have been.

More recently, the iOS Gold Knights update was one of my most wanted games when I got an iPod touch... and my first realization that on-screen control pads are worthless for frantic action games.

Rogue Trooper

Bit of a tangent but..

PS2 Maximo games-any fans?

I've still got both, found 1st too hard to really enjoy, but poured some hours into the rather splendid sequel.

Rogue Trooper

TGM gave the ST version 79% (animation and sound FX medicore) and game lacked the playability of coin op. and C64 versions, Amiga version (same reviewer) 84% Screen narrow, but colourful, well animated sprites, bold sound FX and spooky music.

Rogue Trooper

Thread bump:

When the SNES arrived, Gamezone did a feature on it 'SUPER NES-Judgement Day'-full run down on hardware+games, get to the 'Battle Beyond The Sprites:SNES VS MD' section and they compare Ghouls'N' Ghosts on both systems, screenshots from starting point on both systems.

Few quotes:

'Notice the wealth of colour and detail in SNES adaption.....Oh dear, the MD version looks a bit sickly and far less dramatic.Make no mistake, G 'N' G is still an immensley playable romp, but don't those sprites and backdrops look weedy?.The orchestrated tune sounds horribly tinny when compared too'

Blimey, no bias then...

:-)

TL

If you really like these games then you will love Hobgoblin for the BBC Micro and the more recent homebrew version for the Atari 8-bit computers:

Hobgoblin on Acorn BBC Micro Model B vintage computer. Gameplay & Commentary

Atari XL/XE - Hobgoblin (game longplay)

BBC Micro - Hobgoblin II

TrekMD

Looks cool.  Were these games inspired by Ghost'n Goblins?