The Atari 2600 VCS Thread

Started by TL, February 20, 2013, 20:48:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

Looks like the AVGN has done a review of ET for the Atari 2600: 

His conclusion is the same one many of us have.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

onthinice

They should make a new E.T. game for modern consoles. Picture a store clerk fighting off people that try to return the game but the catch is the store has a no return policy. This infuriates the people turning them into a zombie like state of mind and they can only be stopped by throwing 2600 Pac-Man carts at them. Which they pick-up and go home and play. Which leads to them trying to return that game in the new Pac-Man game for modern consoles.

TrekMD

Quote from: "onthinice"They should make a new E.T. game for modern consoles. Picture a store clerk fighting off people that try to return the game but the catch is the store has a no return policy. This infuriates the people turning them into a zombie like state of mind and they can only be stopped by throwing 2600 Pac-Man carts at them. Which they pick-up and go home and play. Which leads to them trying to return that game in the new Pac-Man game for modern consoles.
:21:

nosweargamer

Quote from: "onthinice"
This infuriates the people turning them into a zombie like state of mind and they can only be stopped by throwing 2600 Pac-Man carts at them.

That's funny, because whenever I hear people call ET the worst game ever or the cause for the gaming crash, I want to throw copies of Tax Avoiders at them. 

TrekMD

Many people just keep no repeating what they hear without ever having tried or touched something.  So, ET is the "worst game ever" has become the accepted phrase to say about it even though there are games that are far worse. 

nosweargamer

Quote from: "TrekMD"Many people just keep no repeating what they hear without ever having tried or touched something.  So, ET is the "worst game ever" has become the accepted phrase to say about it even though there are games that are far worse.

Not to mention those who tried the game and hated it just because they didn't understand how to really play it.
I actually appreciate what Howard Scott Warshaw was trying to do. Actually, all of his games take a little bit of attention.

TrekMD

I've always liked ET.  Yes, you have to read the instructions but that doesn't make the game bad. Is it difficult?  Sure! 

guest5254

Anyone like homebrew 2600 titles?  At the last Midwest Gaming Classic I picked up Explosive Diarrhea :)   Halo 2600 and Marble Craze are a couple more favorites.

TrekMD

I have Halo 2600 and many other homebrews.  I've reviewed Halo (here) as well as other homebrew titles.  Homebrews on the 2600 are quite impressive these days. 

llayboy

Love the Atari 2600 such a great console. Where the games lack in graphics they always have addictive fun gameplay. One of my faves has to be Demon Attack

TrekMD

Agreed, that's the one thing about the 2600  Despite its limiations, it does capture gameplay quite well.

guest5254

That's the 2600's big advantage.  The games HAD to be fun, unlike modern games you can't just do great 3d art and call it a good game :)

TrekMD

Quote from: "prok"That's the 2600's big advantage.  The games HAD to be fun, unlike modern games you can't just do great 3d art and call it a good game :21:

llayboy

Was playing Super Breakout and Berzerk before. Love it when you shoot an enemy in Bezerk they explode into the shape of evil otto

TrekMD

Quote from: "llayboy"Was playing Super Breakout and Berzerk before. Love it when you shoot an enemy in Bezerk they explode into the shape of evil otto

Have you played the Berzerk Aracade VE version?