The Atari 2600 VCS Thread

Started by TL, February 20, 2013, 20:48:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

JoyFreak

Some impressive videos here. I miss having my atari, they used to be the best times.

TrekMD

Quote from: JoyFreak on June 09, 2020, 11:40:31 AM
Some impressive videos here. I miss having my atari, they used to be the best times.

Glad you enjoyed them.  You can always enjoy the 2600 games via emulation.  Stella is an awesome emulator.

davyk

Stella is extremely impressive. Get some USB Atari controllers and it becomes hard to justify owning the console. I still have original hardware but for trying out games and sampling homebrew - Stella is where it's at.  It has a superb debug mode too that lets you look under the bonnet. I used it to create 60Hz versions of some PAL games that I play on my woody with a Harmony cartridge. One of the more geeky things I've ever done. :)

TrekMD

davyk

Repurchased an old friend.  Complete with manual. I think it's the US version which means it will run at full speed on my US woody (have a PAL and a US one - the US one is modded for compsite).But this isn't for playing. I have a Harmony cart with every game ever made.

A special game to me this - especially the 2600 port. Has a pile of memories associated with it.

davyk

Sitting with my Asteroids tat. Badge collection and 2 mugs. The one beside the cartridge changes with heat and shows the box art. :)

TrekMD

That's awesome!  By the way, I sense a theme on that shelf.  ;)  As a fan of Asteroids, you should check out Space Rocks.

davyk

Asteroids is one of the few games I'd buy "tat" for. I'm a real sucker for that era of Atari but Asteroids especially so.

Aye - I've messed about with the ROM of Space Rocks but haven't put real gameplay time into it yet. An excellent job.

TrekMD

You should give Space Rocks a chance.  It really is excellent.

davyk

My favourite home version of Asteroids is still the 7800 port. Nothing comes close.

TrekMD

Oh, that is an awesome version!  I love the cooperative game on it too.

davyk

Played that 2600 cart I got last week. It's the US version so it runs faster than the PAL version and a lot smoother. Of course the colours are wrong on a PAL machine but with this game it doesn't really matter - multi-coloured Asteroids are "wrong" anyhow!! :)

I have my US 2600 as well with composite mod of course but that's boxed away at the minute - it needs some work to separate the audio and visual wires which need proper shielding as the picture - while very clear - gets interference when there is a sound made. The 2 wires are very thin and are wound together - so they need unsolderd and separated with some shielding (or maybe upgraded to thicker wire). I'll wait to my local electronics repair shop opens according to lockdown rules. I still need to teach myself some basic soldering.

The cart is back in its box though. I have the ROM and PAL60 version on my Harmony cart. But I like having the cart.

TrekMD

Very cool that you got the cart.  It's a fun game. 

TrekMD

Another one of those top 10 lists.  Pretty good choices on this one, though his comment about ET is