Author Topic: The NEC PC-FX  (Read 7036 times)

Offline The Graphics Man

• View Profile
    • http://mightyfrog.forcedesign.us/
Re: The NEC PC-FX
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2013, 22:47:37 PM »
Nah, I have Battle Heat! and Tengai Makyo Karakuri Kakutoden. Dragon's Lair, Space Ace , blah, blah, blah... they are not. I really enjoy playing the games I have for the PC-FX but the games for it are not for everyone... I purchased the system and the games as they came out. The system could have done games like Resident Evil very easily... In fact that is exactly what Team Innocent is... It just uses 2D sprites instead of polygons... Those ugly butt polygons would not have presented a problem for the system to produce...  :21:
Terance Williams (The Graphics Man)

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2013, 14:55:36 PM »
An excellent looking shooter:

Choujin Heiki Zeroigar PC-FX

And a traditional J-RPG:

Miraculum (The Last Revelation): NEC PC-FX

Offline SnakeEyes

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2013, 10:48:52 AM »
I wonder whether making the Pc Engine CD games run on it would have made a difference to its success. Maybe even add a Hu-card slot and make it totally compatible with the PC engine range.

Offline AmigaJay

• View Profile
    • Jay's Retro Game Blog
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2013, 19:08:53 PM »
Quote from: "SnakeEyes"
I wonder whether making the Pc Engine CD games run on it would have made a difference to its success. Maybe even add a Hu-card slot and make it totally compatible with the PC engine range.
Doubt it, this was the end of 1994, the Playstation and Saturn were out, having backwards compatibility wouldn't have saved this disaster from NEC, it was doomed the minute they said its main feature was full motion JPEG playback at 30fps at a time when people wanted 3d texture mapped gaming, had it been released in 1992 when it was first planned to it would have faired better against the mega cd, but it was too late in 1994.
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2018

Offline tomwaits

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2013, 19:42:19 PM »
Quote from: "SnakeEyes"

I think the bigger question is why no one offered any PCE-ish games or sequels for the PC-FX. The PC-FX completely abandoned everything NEC had established with the PCE fanbase. It may have been too late for backwards compatibility but a new Bonk, Star Soldier, Y's, or similar style titles may have attracted more of the PCE audience to the new console.

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2013, 20:54:13 PM »
I don't know, a lot of people moaned that the Saturn couldn't play Mega Drive games, especially as it had a cartridge slot on it. They could have at least released a converter in my opinion.

I think a slot for PC Engine/SuperGrafx Hu-Cards and the ability to play Super CD-ROM games would have been a massive bonus for the machine.

Offline SnakeEyes

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2013, 14:18:02 PM »
Quote from: "The Laird"
I don't know, a lot of people moaned that the Saturn couldn't play Mega Drive games, especially as it had a cartridge slot on it. They could have at least released a converter in my opinion.

I think a slot for PC Engine/SuperGrafx Hu-Cards and the ability to play Super CD-ROM games would have been a massive bonus for the machine.

That was my thinking. I love the look of the machine and the Pc engine back catalogue is superb.

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2013, 20:14:35 PM »
[align=center:17umszhb]A couple more games I just came across:

PC-FX Queen of Queens Wrestling

PC-FX:chip chan kick stage 1[/align:17umszhb]

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2015, 03:26:51 AM »
The guys from Game Sack have posted a video that looks at this rare console.  Check it out...

[align=center:2uj8c7fp]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7qGy1jxsM0&feature=em-subs_digest[/align:2uj8c7fp]
Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2015, 14:58:41 PM »
Awesome to see.. cheers fella.
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline Ben

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2015, 03:24:51 AM »
I just got around to watching this, and I have to say I think this console is a bit baffling.  Was it really any more powerful than the Neo Geo? I kind of feel like that niche market was already served by another console, then you add in the rise of 3D and it was doomed from the start (at least the Jag was serviceable at both).  It looks to have some great games though, I hope you get some more of them translated, Kidgamer.

Offline Papa

• View Profile
    • https://www.youtube.com/user/StrikeValkyrie/videos
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2015, 14:56:45 PM »
Yeah, I had one and sold it.  I really liked Zenki and had a few other games for it.  It's mostly an Otaku system that was capitalizing off of the FMV craze, in my opinion.  It seems to have some great hardware for both 2D and FMV, but never got to flex that muscle too much.  I loved the gamepads and hunted games for it, although they are very rare and expensive and hard to play if you don't read the language.  It's sad that they didn't keep this going longer as there was a HUGE library of Otaku titles from the FM Towns Marty that could have been ported..
And all the Who's down in Whoville will cry
"OH $#IT!"

Offline Lorfarius

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2015, 22:10:27 PM »
I always thought it was weird why they didn't stick in Hucard BC.

Offline Ben

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2015, 11:04:48 AM »
Quote from: "Kidgamer"
Well,i'm not translating them XD,but i want the people to know that there's more games being translated
Sorry, I misread your post there.  I have to say, it's not surprising that so few of these have been translated.  I'm a Japanese speaker myself, and I spent about a year trying to work on a Saturn game before giving up, because I'm just not cut out for coding (plus I could have made so much progress on anime/manga in that time).  When you consider that there just aren't that many people who have both the coding knowledge and the Japanese proficiency to pull the text, then translate it, then patch the game, it's no wonder this console is so unknown due to the lack of translated games.

Offline Lorfarius

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2015, 11:19:30 AM »
You should try joining the forums over at http://www.romhacking.net. They are always crying out for people just capable of being able to read and translate Japanese text.  They do the coding so you wouldn't have to worry about that.  They usually get a text grab from each game then someone works their way through it all then they format and re-insert.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk