Greetings from Northern Ireland

Started by davyk, February 07, 2013, 22:51:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davyk

Hi folks....

I'm been around for some time (mid 40s) so remember the rise of the arcades and the arrival of pong machines in the home.

Had a 2600 (still do!) and had an Oric-1 and an Amstrad 464 (with green screen!) in the 8 bit micro days. Then I kind of got a bit disillusioned with gaming because I believe that while the 8bit era was a great incubator for talent - the dodgy difficulty curves and tape loading of the day kind of put me off.

The NES got me back into gaming - then had s SNES, then an N64 (was bit of a Nintard for a while) - then a Saturn (wanted to play some shmups) - then my world opened up - also have a PS1, PS2, Atari 7800, Megadrive, Dreamcast, Gamecube and Wii. Have around 600 titles all boxed and complete - not a collector - more of a hoarder.

Have been a programmer (not games) for 20 odd years - wrote my first "app" on an Apple II in school when I was 14 and have never looked back. Don't get to code in work any more but I dabble with Java, PHP and Blitzbasic in my spare time.

Love gaming - especially retro and "retro style" games like puzzlers & shmups and not really into narrative led games. FPS games I think have kind of ruined the market - they suck in too much resource and talent that could be better used in other genres. Still will play the FPS but not all that much -I think they are opiate of the gaming masses I am afraid.

Used to be a Ninty fanboy - but i'm still quite a fan - still believe they are the only real big inventor now that the likes of Sega, Namco, Konami and Capcom seem to fallen into oblivion or a rut. Still ever hopeful for the future though even though the HD remake seems to be de rigour with everyone now.

TL

Great intro and great to have you here!

Welcome to RVG Davy, hope you like it here!

Vyothric

Shadowrunner

DreamcastRIP

Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Rogue Trooper

Welcome aboard Davy.

Read with interest the FPS sucking the talent out bit-It used to be that a FPS was a good benchmark of how powerful your hardware or game engine was (that and racing games) but these days? even as a FPS fan, i've a cynical view of so many of them.

Gave Rebellion stick in the interview questions but when their AVP of this generation lacks the A.I routines they nailed in the Windows '95 version all those years ago, i have to wonder where industry is headed.

I fel it's iOS/Android gaming that's sucking the talent, that and motion control.Games being canned, teams told too focus on these areas instead.

Hope to see you around on here.

TrekMD

Welcome to RVG, davyK!  I'm sure you'll enjoy it here.  :)

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

zapiy

Hey fella... Welcome aboard our little homage to the retro scene.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

onthinice

Welcome! Nice collection of system and games 8)

Console Compulsive

dougtitchmarsh

Good to see another new member here and an interesting intro post. Hope to hear much more from you in the future.  ;D
My retro and computing blog posts
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, 2600, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, GameGear, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, GBA, GB,  Xbox, 3DO,  WonderSwan,  NGPC, CD32, Amiga A1200, Spectrum 48k and +2, BBC B, C64

Cryptic33

For the record, Alien verses Predator on the Atari Jaguar holds a Guinness World Record!

To remove any awkwardness, I have mesothelioma. I don’t seek sympathy, just acceptance. Thanks

DZ-Jay

Quote from: "davyK"Hi folks....

I'm been around for some time (mid 40s) so remember the rise of the arcades and the arrival of pong machines in the home.

Had a 2600 (still do!) and had an Oric-1 and an Amstrad 464 (with green screen!) in the 8 bit micro days. Then I kind of got a bit disillusioned with gaming because I believe that while the 8bit era was a great incubator for talent - the dodgy difficulty curves and tape loading of the day kind of put me off.

The NES got me back into gaming - then had s SNES, then an N64 (was bit of a Nintard for a while) - then a Saturn (wanted to play some shmups) - then my world opened up - also have a PS1, PS2, Atari 7800, Megadrive, Dreamcast, Gamecube and Wii. Have around 600 titles all boxed and complete - not a collector - more of a hoarder.

Have been a programmer (not games) for 20 odd years - wrote my first "app" on an Apple II in school when I was 14 and have never looked back. Don't get to code in work any more but I dabble with Java, PHP and Blitzbasic in my spare time.

Love gaming - especially retro and "retro style" games like puzzlers & shmups and not really into narrative led games. FPS games I think have kind of ruined the market - they suck in too much resource and talent that could be better used in other genres. Still will play the FPS but not all that much -I think they are opiate of the gaming masses I am afraid.

Used to be a Ninty fanboy - but i'm still quite a fan - still believe they are the only real big inventor now that the likes of Sega, Namco, Konami and Capcom seem to fallen into oblivion or a rut. Still ever hopeful for the future though even though the HD remake seems to be de rigour with everyone now.

Welcome, fella!  I too am a programmer, but I managed to live the dream and write an old-skool game.  The Intellivision is my weapon of choice, but please don't hold it against me. :)
    dZ.