Atari 7800 Thread

Started by TL, January 31, 2013, 15:30:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

Quote from: "Lorfarius"Damn. Got me all excited for a minute!

Sorry.  I should have been more clear with the first post.  :21:

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Lorfarius

I'm not quite sure what's going on as I always said I wouldn't get into retro collecting in a big way but after the GB, Lynx and Famicom I seem to be on a roll.  This time I went for an Atari 7800 which came with 10 games and a controller for just £40 on eBay, add in a tenner for shipping and it wasn't all that bad!

I did see a collection only auction which included something called Mean 18 which is a pretty expensive game but they only allow collection and its on the other end of the country to me [:(]   But after a day checking out other auctions I found this lot which included the infamous Ninja Golf.  I'm told its one of the systems best and seems to sell for silly month especially in the condition this ones in.  Loads of these games were sealed and all have instructions and despite a few bashed boxes I'm pretty pleased.  I'm sorely tempted to go for a full collection as there's only about 50 games if that.

It wasn't without problems sadly, the controller has seen better days and the joystick was broken off:

Luckily I was able to remove the broken plastic and screw leaving just the D-Pad, still playable but not ideal. Buttons don't feel right either so I'll be keeping an eye out for a better one.  I've played a few of the games so far and quite enjoying it, makes a break from the Sega and Nintendo stuff from the same era though I doubt any of the games are at that level.  This one isn't modded and only comes with RF but after running it through a booster to the HDTV it doesn't look half bad!

Shadowrunner

Nice looking lot! I've had a 7800 for a couple years now I think and I really like it. I know what you mean about collecting, once you start it's hard to stop!

TrekMD

Despite the issues with the controllers, that is a good lot indeed. 

zapiy

Great purchase fella. Got some decent games there for the money

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Lorfarius

I'm still gutted I missed out on that Mean18 bundle :(

zapiy

So you moving away from the 7800?

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Lorfarius

Already gone.  Putting the lot up on ebay  :16:

zapiy

Lorfarius

After spending an afternoon with it I just don't get the love.  The games are too basic for my liking, it kept making me want to play a NES or Master System.  Consoles are built on its games but this just doesn't have them :(

TrekMD

I think you needed to give it more time and try more titles.  The homebrews expand the library significantly and many of them are excellent.

retromod

Current customer project: Atari 7800 in Rack Chassis

AV+ (for best AV picture), Stereo/Surround and Atari 2600 pause mode (to halt 2600 games at any time).
Backlight in blue for cartridge slot and function keys. Internal power supply and SCART connector on the back.
You can control stereo/surround, backlight and pause function directly on the key panel. If pause mode is active in 7800 or 2600 mode a yellow led is flashing to signal the status.

This project is the first one using the new PCB which will be also part for the upcoming 30th anniversary 7800 line. There are several changes on the mainboard required to fit into the housing and the cartridge slot must be turned in 90 degree angle and fitted into a new metal surrounding.

this console will also be prepared to fit the upcoming PSX controller mod board into it. An expansion slot is located behind the function keys for a simple upgrade.

You must be extremely carefully to not scratch the housing. The combination of metal work, painting, soldering and creativity is pure fun.
http://www.konsolen-mod.de for mod showroom and configurator

TrekMD

Here is a nice article from the folks at Retro Gaming Mag remembering Atari's announcement of the Atari 7800:  Atari Announces the Atari 7800 – Today in History – May 21st, 1984.

TrekMD

This thread hasn't had any action in some time.  I just listened to the most recent episode of the Retronauts Podcast which discusses the Atari 7800. 

Atari: The 7800 and the raw deal

Episode description: A two-parter from Midwest Gaming Classic 2018. First, Kevin Bunch and Brian Clark talk the history of Atari 7800 with Jeremy. Then, as a backup, Marty Goldberg (and Bob!) join Jeremy and Kevin to explain how the Atari Crash wasn't totally Atari's fault.

Listen to the episode:  Retronauts Episode 150.

davyk

I  have a love/hate thing with the 7800.

It has superb ports of Asteroids, Centipede , Joust and Food Fight. Has some great home-brew games now too. Pacman Collection is a great game.

But the video signal isn't great. Why it didn't get at least a composite out is pretty shameful. And it should have got a POKEY chip built in. And what is with that proprietary power connector? Madness.

And of course there is PAL-itis. Although I think some of the games are speed adjusted for PAL.

Asteroids is so good on it I'm of the opinion that it is still the best home port of the game. If the PAL console didn't have it built in I'd probably have got rid of mine. Asteroids is the only reason I keep it.