Atari 7800 Thread

Started by TL, January 31, 2013, 15:30:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

Similar but no longer available at a reasonable price.  A Harmony cart is much easier to use, though, as you just put an SD card with the games and it's ready.  I believe SainT may have decided to work on one for the system once he's done with his sales for the Jaguar SD cart. 

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Spector

Quote from: TrekMD on September 16, 2019, 16:43:33 PM
Similar but no longer available at a reasonable price.  A Harmony cart is much easier to use, though, as you just put an SD card with the games and it's ready.  I believe SainT may have decided to work on one for the system once he's done with his sales for the Jaguar SD cart.

I also seem to remember it had problems playing games like Commando with the added sound chip, but my memory is fuzzy. I should have kept it anyway. The more I read about the 7800, the more interesting it seems, especially with the homebrew that's been coming out these last few years.
DEATH TO SUGAR

TrekMD

You can add a POKEY chip to it to address that problem.  The issue is the POKEY chips are becoming rare and expensive!

TrekMD

Just discovered this channel and saw this video that should be of interest:  Atari 7800 Light Gun Games...

davyk

I remember getting Meltdown in a pack of games but never got to play it as I had no gun.

Wasn't missing much going by that video though if the gun worked better it would help.....

TrekMD

The issues with the lightgun don't help either.  It shoots more to one side than where you want it to shoot.  I did know know people adapted the Sega gun to use with the 7800, though.  I thought that was cool.

davyk

Quote from: TrekMD on September 16, 2019, 17:40:11 PM
You can add a POKEY chip to it to address that problem.  The issue is the POKEY chips are becoming rare and expensive!

read recently that there is a new POKEY compatible chip on sale. It has proven to work in Atari arcade games and 7800 carts as far as I remember. There are some issues with some Atari computers but it seems to be a workable alternative to finding an old chip.  Google POKEYOne for info.

TrekMD

Yep, I'm aware of it.  It's one of the developers from Atari Age who made it.  Albert will be selling carts with those chips next week at PRGE.

davyk

TrekMD

Here is a system review from Player One Start.  It is a long video and he does a pretty good job...

davyk

Good coverage there. I wonder how much the AV mod cost? Must have a look around for that.

The lack of onboard POKEY was a huge mistake.  :(   I have 7800 Donkey Kong and the sound is horrendous.

TrekMD

Yep, an onboard POKEY would have been better.  They just planned for the games to get it in the carts but then didn't want to spend the money on the chips. 

TrekMD

Here's another video looking at the game library for the 7800...

TrekMD

Figured I'd leave this here.  It's a demonstration of a new control stick being made by RetroGameBoyz for the 7800 (and the 2600)...

TrekMD