Sega Game Gear thread

Started by dcultrapro, January 28, 2013, 17:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dcultrapro

Has anyone seen Halley Wars on the Game Gear? I think its one of the rare GG only games out there (as in, it wasn't on SMS first then ported) are there any other titles like this that aren't on SMS as well? Be very interested to hear the list, I bet its short lol

Its pretty nice so far, I only had a quick go on it and I realised that I actually have over 20 games for the GG now... I must say I'm surprised I have that many I thought I had a lot less... need to google some more games and see whats around
Ultrapro on xbox live

onthinice

I have become more of a Lynx fan, but I would like hear some of your GG gaming thoughts!

dcultrapro

well with regards to the Game Gear, having only a bunch of Sonic Games, Mortal Kombat, Outrun, Shinobi, Chakan and Ecco etc, all games I've played plenty elsewhere I kinda got bored with it after a while and the Lynx diverse game library has tonnes of stuff I've NEVER seen before. I am trying to find some more interesting titles but it just puts me off that 90% of the GG's library is ports
Ultrapro on xbox live

Rogue Trooper

Quote from: "dcultrapro"well with regards to the Game Gear, having only a bunch of Sonic Games, Mortal Kombat, Outrun, Shinobi, Chakan and Ecco etc, all games I've played plenty elsewhere I kinda got bored with it after a while and the Lynx diverse game library has tonnes of stuff I've NEVER seen before. I am trying to find some more interesting titles but it just puts me off that 90% of the GG's library is ports

That's a bloody good point, whilst i did love my Game Gear, thinking back to games i loved on it:GG Shinobi, Sonic, Lemmings, Wonderboy:Dragons Trap, Prince Of Persia, Columns etc only GG Shinobi (and Columns?) i'm left wondering how many were MS ports just redone to suit smaller screen size.

The Lynx however, i loved Blue Lightning, Zalor Merc, Gates Of Zen., Ramparts, APB, Toki, Dracula The Undead, Batman Returns, Crystal Mines 2, Dirty Larry, Switchblade 2 etc so had mix of originalgames, ports and arcade conversions.

onthinice

So GameGear thoughts is just wishful thinking?

dcultrapro

that was my Game Gear thought lol, its library is disappointingly bland for me. I loved it as a kid but now seeing value in games etc I can't really recommend people get a GG unless you haven't already owned a Master System. It is a nice system but apart from the limited library its really not too reliable either. I had 3 and all of them went wrong, either no picture or no sound after about 10/15 years. My Lynx is still rocking along same as ever
Ultrapro on xbox live

onthinice

You called it Ultrapro! My GameGear's sound finally went and the picture is going as well. I really do not want to replace it, rather invest in more Lynx games.

TrekMD

Quote from: "onthinice"You called it Ultrapro! My GameGear's sound finally went and the picture is going as well. I really do not want to replace it, rather invest in more Lynx games.

Good choice!  ;)

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

dcultrapro

lol... this thread probably isn't going quite the way it should, its supposed to be about the Game Gear! lol nevermind, it is definitely inferior to the Lynx imo but it is a nice little machine, if you can keep one working

Does anyone know of anymore titles on it that DIDN'T also come out on the SMS??
Ultrapro on xbox live

Rogue Trooper

Quote from: "dcultrapro"lol... this thread probably isn't going quite the way it should, its supposed to be about the Game Gear! lol nevermind, it is definitely inferior to the Lynx imo but it is a nice little machine, if you can keep one working

Does anyone know of anymore titles on it that DIDN'T also come out on the SMS??

Game Gear exclusives?

G.G Shinobi
G.G Shinobi 2:The Silent Fury
Shining Force 2:Sword Of Hajya
Defenders Of Oasis
Phantasy Star Gaiden
Ronald McDonald In The Magical World (Japan Only)
Coca Cola Kid (again, Japan only).

dcultrapro

wow.... thats a LOOOOOONG list lol.

However... PSG is Jap only as well and Shining Force 2 didn't come to pal either so that leaves Shinobi 1+2 and Defenders of Oasis
Ultrapro on xbox live

Rogue Trooper

Quote from: "dcultrapro"wow.... thats a LOOOOOONG list lol
Had to check on the following:

Sonic Drift (Japan Only)
Sonic drift 2
Tails Adventure
Shining Force Gaiden:The Final Conflict.(Japan only?)

Guess the G.G 'suffers' somewhat as it's basically a souped up, portable MS (Better VDP, so wider range of colours etc and Stereo sound), so it was fairly straight forward to tinker with MS code, do something with colours, alter resolution etc.

Quicker and cheaper than developing from scratch.MS was still going strong in Europe, hence the ports, dead in Japan, so guess that's why it had a few more exclusives.

dcultrapro

Tails adventure actually looks good to me so I might keep an eye out for that one. Its probably rare as chickens teeth though as it came out late 95

Triple Trouble is an exclusive. I have Sonic Drift Racing so that one did come to pal :)
Ultrapro on xbox live

onthinice

I think the Game Gear was a good idea. It just seem to have certain issues.

Rogue Trooper

Quote from: "onthinice"I think the Game Gear was a good idea. It just seem to have certain issues.
Screen packed up on mine, never bothered to replace it as i'd pretty much hammered everything i wanted to on it and at the time was moving more into the console under the TV than handheld gaming, until i picked up a Lynx many months later.

Screen blur was biggest gripe i had with it as a user.