Author Topic: Sega Game Gear thread  (Read 11962 times)

Offline TL

• View Profile
Re: Sega Game Gear thread
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2014, 21:08:56 PM »
Quote from: "WiggyDiggyPoo"

That is about right really, the GG is one of the cheaper systems to collect for.

Offline walter_j64bit

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2014, 02:21:45 AM »
I have both the Atari Lynx and the Game Gear and they are better than the Gameboy of that time, hands down!  :113:

Offline Antiriad2097

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2014, 06:12:51 AM »
Quote from: "dcultrapro"
I have Sonic Drift Racing so that one did come to pal :)

There's no PAL/NTSC for Game Gear, that's a TV standard.

The European Sonic Drift Racing is the Japanese Sonic Drift 2. We never had the original game in this territory. There's no region lock though, so you could import it.

I think Ax Battler was a GG exclusive.

Offline WiggyDiggyPoo

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2014, 06:32:51 AM »
Theres a few exclusives, and because of its handheld nature many of the games its shares with the MegaDrive/MasterSystem are significantly different.

I don't know how much to read into this, or where I got it, but apparently Sonic 2 on the GG is the best version of that game.

Might try my hand at a list later....

Offline Bobinator

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2014, 13:41:55 PM »
Quote from: "WiggyDiggyPoo"
I don't know how much to read into this, or where I got it, but apparently Sonic 2 on the GG is the best version of that game.

It's not. Please believe me when I tell you that it's really, really not. I owned that game, the Game Gear version specifically, and I can tell you that it's the most frustrating, unfair Sonic game out of the hundred or so that are probably out there by now. Part of it is the screen size, which means things like the first boss become way, way harder than they ever were on the Master System version. But then there's things that apply to both versions of the game, like boss acts never giving you any rings, or the hang gliding. Oh god, the hang gliding.

If you want to play a handheld Sonic game, my recommendation goes to Sonic Triple Trouble.

Offline WiggyDiggyPoo

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2014, 14:56:58 PM »
I probably made that up then to impress my friends lol

I don't have Triple Trouble, just 1,2 and Chaos

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2014, 18:23:17 PM »
Yeah, that's a lie. The 8-bit versions are not anywhere near as good as the 16-bit ones, especially the GG iterations that suffer badly on the crappy screen.

Offline WiggyDiggyPoo

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2014, 22:11:36 PM »
Quote from: "The Laird"
Yeah, that's a lie. The 8-bit versions are not anywhere near as good as the 16-bit ones, especially the GG iterations that suffer badly on the crappy screen.

Matter of opinion I really, I find the screen perfectly none crappy myself.

To be honest me comparing Sonic version across systems isn't the best game for me to do it as Ive only really played Sonic 2 on GG.

A stranger game I would choose to compare perhaps would be Lemmings, I've mentioned my love for the little guys on GG before and I found it as much fun to play as on my big screen mouse controlled Amiga version. Ive got the SNES version lined up so perhaps some kind of weird cross system compare review could be written by myself in the future.

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2014, 23:07:01 PM »
I think even the most hardcore Game Gear fan will admit the screen is terrible! Because it really is!

I honestly can't think of a bad version of Lemmings, although my favourite versions are probably the ST (first version I owned) and the Lynx (perfect handheld port)

One of our very own members Amiga Jay has this great site devoted to the different versions - http://everylemming.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline WiggyDiggyPoo

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2014, 00:01:24 AM »
Quote from: "The Laird"
I think even the most hardcore Game Gear fan will admit the screen is terrible! Because it really is!

I honestly can't think of a bad version of Lemmings, although my favourite versions are probably the ST (first version I owned) and the Lynx (perfect handheld port)

One of our very own members Amiga Jay has this great site devoted to the different versions - http://everylemming.blogspot.co.uk/

Still going to disagree, in my book a terrible screen would mean it renders the games unplayable or breaks immediately upon looking at it - it doesnt.  :25:

Now I'll meet you halfway in that yes the screen is unreliable but I accept that as a characteristic of what was available at the time, and mitigate with the not expensive repair that is available. It still doesn't make it terrible?

Something different to put forward as GG flaw for you though is I really don't find the GG comfortable to hold for any length of time anymore. This might be the early onset of arthritis lol but I cant hold it up and play for a long time anymore - I find myself resting it on my lap instead which is a lot  more comfortable.

I'll put the lemmings article on my read list tho thanks  :113:

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2014, 21:10:04 PM »

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2014, 21:28:23 PM »
Excellent secret to let out!  ;)
Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline dcultrapro

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Antonyv1982?feature=mhee
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2014, 22:02:53 PM »
Awesome! And I must say that I am surprised by the majority of your scores bud! I was expecting you to mark a lot of those games far lower, but I was pleasantly surprised :) So have we gotten any closer to getting a comprehensive list of GG games in the English speaking regions that DIDN'T come out on Master System or any other console of the time? I only know of the following but these may well be wrong themselves

Sonic the Hedgehog in Triple Trouble
Sonic Drift (Series)
Haley Wars

Any others?
Ultrapro on xbox live

guest4787

« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2014, 22:12:06 PM »
Awesome! And I must say that I am surprised by the majority of your scores bud! I was expecting you to mark a lot of those games far lower, but I was pleasantly surprised :) So have we gotten any closer to getting a comprehensive list of GG games in the English speaking regions that DIDN'T come out on Master System or any other console of the time? I only know of the following but these may well be wrong themselves

Sonic the Hedgehog in Triple Trouble
Sonic Drift (Series)
Haley Wars

Any others?

Popils
Ax Battler: A Legend of Golden Axe
The G.G. Shinobi
The G.G. Shinobi II
Crystal Warriors (pretty sure it was only released on the GG, but I may be incorrect)
Arena: Maze of Death

There are a few other Sonic games and one of the Shining Force (Gaiden) games was released in the US.

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2014, 22:29:40 PM »
Awesome! And I must say that I am surprised by the majority of your scores bud! I was expecting you to mark a lot of those games far lower, but I was pleasantly surprised :4:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal