What Retro Games Have You Played Recently?

Started by zapiy, January 27, 2011, 17:46:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TL

My brother and I had a big Mega Drive session yesterday and played:

Streets Of Rage 2
Super Airwolf
Wreck It Ralph
TMNT: Hyperstone Heist
Snow Bros.
Sensible Soccer
Fatal Rewind
Power Rangers

Vyothric

Vyothric

Vyothric

Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine (N64)

Randomly occurring game-breaking bug on the LAST LEVEL.

Other than that though........it's a boring piece of crap.

TrekMD

Quote from: "Vyothric"Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine (N64)

Other than that though........it's a boring piece of crap.

I had heard that.  So, the game is infernal in more ways than one!   :21:

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Vyothric

Yeah, it actually has a couple of other problems too.

It can freeze sometimes - I thought it was just random but later found out it was to do with the music somehow (when changing area or something). I had to turn the music off to fix it. But at that point was over half-way through the game.

You can get stuck on/in-between things and have to reset.

I had to re-do a lot of things.

TrekMD

Quote from: "Vyothric"Yeah, it actually has a couple of other problems too.

It can freeze sometimes - I thought it was just random but later found out it was to do with the music somehow (when changing area or something). I had to turn the music off to fix it. But at that point was over half-way through the game.

You can get stuck on/in-between things and have to reset.

I had to re-do a lot of things.

That sounds like a nightmare.  I'm surprised you pushed through!

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

guest5260

Been playing Ghouls N Ghosts on the Megadrive lately.
Not the easiest game in the world, but not as hard as the SNES version for some reason (although the SNES version looks a bit better).

Vyothric

Vyothric

Duck Dodgers Starring Daffy Duck (N64)

Now this is more like it. Really liked this game. Daffy is ace.

Shadowrunner

I played Blazing Lazers on the TG16, and Street Hoop and Andro Dunos on the Neo Geo CD.

Bobinator

So, in preparation for Freedom Planet, which looks really fantastic and I'm probably going to be talking about it for a LONG while... ahem. Right, where was I? [size=80](buy Freedom Planet, it comes out tommorow)[/size]

http://youtu.be/1zlMtd4zeI0

So I was playing Ristar. I'd say it went really well, at least until I got up to Planet Sonata. That basically killed my run, and I'm still a little angry about it. It's a very long level about carrying around a thing over your head that makes it so you can't defend yourself, spikes and traps everywhere, and probably the worst music in the game. *sigh* The rest of the game is really, really good, probably one of the best action platformers on the Genesis/Mega Drive, next to Sonic. So it's a shame that one particular level is so annoying, at least to me. And of course, the game has no passwords of any sort.

That said...

I noticed this little detail right here. There are these tiny stone effigies of Ristar in Planet Scorch that he can pick up. Picking this up makes it so Ristar isn't constantly angry, like he is in the American version I'm playing right now. I'm assuming it's a sprite that the localization team forgot to touch up, but I'd rather think that Ristar is just so egotistical that carrying around a stone effigy of himself over his head like his own personal idol just pleases him that much.

zapiy

That Freedom Planet looks awesome, very much a Sonic clone but it looks great.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

wyldephang

Ristar's a classic.  Sadly, I don't own a physical copy for my Genesis as the prices have been on an incline in recent years, so I'll have to stick with emulators for now.  Destiny of an Emperor for the NES just came in the mail, so I imagine I'll be playing that one the most.  It's basically a turn-based RPG with an early tactical system in which you need to recruit generals and build up your armies.  Instead of a life bar, in battle you have a meter that indicates how many troops you have left at your command.  So, the more people you have in your army, the easier it is for you to win battles.  It's definitely an underrated gem for the NES and I'm hoping to get around to writing a review for it in the future.
- Ryan