Atari Jaguar Repair

Started by Vyothric, September 22, 2012, 12:56:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vyothric

I got an Atari Jaguar for free which didn't work. Using the wrong PSU = bad = blown power regulator/capacitor. Apparently a lot of people have done this.

Here's the chip at U38 (MC34163DW) and the bulging capacitor (16v 330uF) above it:

Capacitor removed:

To remove chips like this I use the levering method with a needle (really need to get that hot air rework station):

Out with the old, in with the new:

With the new parts soldered, we have power:

TL

Simply awesome mate!

I am glad the guide I sent you helped!

Nice to see another Jag back from the dead, it's a great system so I hope you enjoy it!

Vyothric

Yep, that guide has everything you need to know.

I always like bringing video game stuff back to life :)

zapiy

Great stuff fella. I love to see stuff like that given a second life.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

onthinice

Enjoy Jaguar gaming Vyothric! Great Job!

Cryptic33

That's worth knowing. How costly were the parts?
For the record, Alien verses Predator on the Atari Jaguar holds a Guinness World Record!

To remove any awkwardness, I have mesothelioma. I don’t seek sympathy, just acceptance. Thanks

Vyothric

Quote from: "Cryptic33"That's worth knowing. How costly were the parts?

Wasn't very expensive. Can't remember the exact price but it was around a fiver.

Cryptic33

Quote from: "Vyothric"
Quote from: "Cryptic33"That's worth knowing. How costly were the parts?

Wasn't very expensive. Can't remember the exact price but it was around a fiver.
That's great. Obviously many parts get much cheaper over time and what you have shown seems reasonable, even for an amateur like me to try if I pick up a duff Jag :16:
For the record, Alien verses Predator on the Atari Jaguar holds a Guinness World Record!

To remove any awkwardness, I have mesothelioma. I don’t seek sympathy, just acceptance. Thanks