Let's Compare Defender/Stargate

Started by TrekMD, January 11, 2013, 14:56:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

onthinice

I'm impressed the Colecovision scrolled so smoothly.

Rogue Trooper

Quote from: "Shadowrunner"
Quote from: "TrekMD"
Quote from: "Shadowrunner"Defender was probably my favorite 2600 game and Defender 2000 and Protector SE are two of my favorite Jag games. Very easy games to pick up and play but very tough to master!

So you are not among those who felt that Atari port of Defender was poorly made?

No but to be honest I was really young and I don't think I had ever played it in the arcade before so I had nothing to compare it to. As for 2000 I know a lot of people don't really like it and I will admit that Protector is a lot closer to classic Defender then 2000 is but that doesn't make it bad, just a little different.

That was my exp.sumned up, never knew at the time of Defenders origins when i got my mum to pick it up for me on 2600 as a kid, box art looked 'cool' and i had many hours of fun with it and it'd make my top 10 2600 VCS games.

Defender 2000 (Jaguar) however, i bought and hated.Ship was far too big, powerful, audio was'nt a patch on Tempest 2000's, the game just looked and felt like something from the P.D scene, but then i never felt Jeff (for all his genius) had ever managed to do a decent version of Defender.

Personal tastes an all that but.....

TL

The Spectrum never got an official port of Defender or Stargate but it did get this utterly brilliant clone.

I clearly remember buying this game for £2.99 back in the day and playing it non-stop!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeIjKuE1pTA

TrekMD

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

TL

TrekMD

The ships and enemy sprites are rather large on that clone.  And those screams!  Oh, those screams!

TL

How many of you have played the pretty much unknown 3rd Defender game?

I played it on holiday once and have never seen it since, shame as I remember it being excellent!

TrekMD

This is the first time I see this game.  Those screams! 

sloan

Strike Force has lush backgrounds ala Darius. It almost took me to that game in watching the clip.

Shadowrunner

No I've never heard of Strike Force before. Looks awesome  :113:

Minerals

that Strike Force looks great, never heard of it before.

TrekMD

John Hancock did a release looking at three versions of Defender and I also discovered an updated version (albeit several years old already) of the Let's Compare video in the first post.  Check these out...