The Super Nintendo thread.

Started by nakamura, January 05, 2013, 23:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nakamura

As many will know I adore the Super Nintendo ( I also really like the MD!), so I thought it was time to talk games.

I have a pretty decent collection and I still play my machine often. I am currently playing Final Fantasy 3 with the aim to actually finish it this time.

What are you playing? What do you like?

Havantgottaclue

Another console that I acquired during my "let's live an alternate childhood" phase that I had a few years ago - the reality being that I was an Amiga owner with little awareness of console gaming.

The only game I have spent a major amount of time on is Super Metroid. Having played the Turrican games absolutely to death on the C64 and Amiga I took to Super Metroid immediately and ultimately I think it's the better game. I didn't complete it though - I vaguely remember getting to a room that fills up with lava or perhaps acid or something, managing to get out the other side by the skin of my teeth. I'm not sure of the exact circumstances after that but I didn't get much further. Shame really, as I thought it was one of the best games I've ever played.

As for the rest - well, I know the SNES is not regarded as the machine for shooters but I really do like Super Aleste. Demon's Crest is another really good game, with beautifully coloured backdrops and a fantastic soundtrack. Equinox deserves a mention I think - I usually don't have the patience for 3D isometric games, but this one kept me going for a while - and that soundtrack! Tim Follin at his absolute best.

EDIT: I had a nagging feeling that Tim's brother Geoff was also involved in the composition of Equinox's soundtrack. A quick trip to Wikipedia tells me that this is the case.

Rogue Trooper

Picked up my SNES long after i was a MD owner, just for the exclusives.

Loved Mr Do Run, Choplifter 3, Alien 3 (so atmospheric, lot more depth to it than the MD game), Lawnmower Man+Plok (both just for the music), Batman Returns, Super Contra and a few others.

But, i did'nt take to the Nintendo exclusives like Super Metroid or F-Zero, as they are not my bag (as far as Metroid goes, more of a Turrican/Shadow Complex person), Starfox was ok, but i was an ST owner so poured hours into things like Starglider 1+2, Midwinter 1+2 etc so was used to 3D gaming.

Think i was far more impressed by what clever programming got out of the MD than anything i played on SNES, yep sound chip was lot better, games more colourful etc, but nothing made me feel i should have gotten a SNES far sooner, if that make's sense?.Very much enjoyed my SNES ownership, but don't return to it (via emulation) way i do the MD.

All boils down to personal tastes.

Vyothric

I got my SNES in May 2011. It's been a lot of fun catching up on some of more obvious classics like Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, Super Metroid, Donkey Kong Country 1-3, Link to the Past......and stuff like Aero the Acro-Bat 2, ActRaiser, Aladdin, Hagane, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma, Soul Blazer, Super Star Wars.

There've been some real gaming highlights for me. Playing Super Mario World after waiting so many years was great.

Apparently the SNES was 2nd highest on my games completed list for last year with 19  :P

DreamcastRIP

I downloaded Super Mario World and Super Mario Kart off Wii's VC some time ago and bought an official SNES pad plus GameCube/Wii converter on US import to use it.

I can't say there's much else in the SNES games library that appeals to me. For instance, I've no interest in buying F-Zero when I have the GBA version which is pretty much the same thing. No need to get the mediocre conversion of Final Fight when I have Final Fight One on GBA and the superior Final Fight CD on Mega-CD. Street Fighter II? No thanks. Games such as Starfox and Pilotwings have aged terribly so I've no wish to suffer those either.

A massively overrated games console with a handful of very good games plus a load of RPGs which I couldn't care less about.
Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

nakamura

Super Mario World 2 could be worth a shot DCRip, if you enjoyed the first. Final Fight is certainly a poor conversion, bit more time and an extra 4mb could have easily made it truer to the arcade. Batman Returns is on the machine and it is a far better game than Final Fight ever was though, so it matters not to me.

Sounds like you have had a great 2012 with SNES gamign Vyo. SMW has indeed aged superbly and still is a joy to play today.

Havantgotaclue, have you tried Contra? Pretty much like Turrican only a lot less mindless wandering and better boss battles.

Havantgottaclue

I've got Contra 3, yes. It's impressive but as is often the case when collecting old games, I haven't put the time into it that I would have done back in the day. It looks as though it would be worth persevering with though.

I forgot to mention the two Super Turrican games, as well. I think the second one in particular is very impressive. They're much less exploration-focused than the Amiga games, but very playable and well presented.

DreamcastRIP

Quote from: "nakamura"Super Mario World 2 could be worth a shot DCRip, if you enjoyed the first.
That was the Yoshi's Island game with graphics like they were drawn by a five year old to be played by five year olds. Pass!
Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

nakamura

Super Turrican 2 is pretty impressive. I do prefer the needless wandering of the console versions though i hammered the Amiga games in the day.

Yoshi looks stunning. Just your fault you are a Meldrew!

DreamcastRIP

Quote from: "nakamura"Super Turrican 2 is pretty impressive. I do prefer the needless wandering of the console versions though i hammered the Amiga games in the day.

Yoshi looks stunning. Just your fault you are a Meldrew!
I never 'clicked' with the Turrican series (2D) for some reason. It's why I didn't buy that recent homebrew release on DC due to it being a Turrican clone.

Indeed! Mature gamers don't like kiddie things, lol!

Rogue Trooper

Loved Turrican 1+2, not so much 3 or Mega Tuurican.Would have loved to have seen how Thornado turned out on N64 (Turrican in 3D).

As for SNES RPG's?, took to them even less than i did MD ones.Coming from ST to MD etc, where i'd been born and raised on Dungeon Master, Captive, Bloodwych etc, found likes of Zelda, Snatcher (ok, MCD), Shining Force, Story Of Thor etc bloody slow and over rated.

Only stuck with and completed a MD Phantasy Star (would it have been 3? 4?).

nakamura

How can something that millions of people love be overrated?

You are confusing game types you don't like with games you don't like.

TL

When I was younger I had a friend with a SNES and we swapped consoles for 2 weeks (he got my MD)

The game I played the most was Magic Sword by Capcom, for some reason I just loved it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzHRyYy9ORE

Vyothric

Forgot about F-Zero. Really like that too. Here's my best time for Mute City:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEayrAKRHYk

DreamcastRIP

Quote from: "nakamura"How can something that millions of people love be overrated?

:P