Donkey Kong VCS

Started by TrekMD, December 18, 2012, 21:34:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

onthinice

zapiy

Brilliant I will have me a look see.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

I case folks haven't been following this, the latest version was recently posted and it is amazing.  Not only does it look great, it plays pretty well as well.  Have a go!  I'm attaching the ROM.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

TL

I must get round to trying this  :113:

TrekMD

You should!  It is hard to believe this is a 2600 game!

DreamcastRIP

I just viewed this gameplay footage someone's uploaded to Youtube -

DK VCS - new Donkey Kong homebrew for the Atari 2600

Colour me impressed.  :1:
Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

TrekMD

It still needs more details but it is remarkable as it is.

DreamcastRIP

That video was uploaded over three months ago so I don't know what, if any, improvements have been made to the final build since that time.

Regardless of that, it's one hell of an achievement.
Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

TrekMD

Here is an article that was posted on Kotaku talking about the game:  After 30 Years, Donkey Kong Gets a Proper Port to the Atari 2600.

onthinice

Thanks TrekMD! Going to check it out.

TrekMD

Here's an even newer video! 

[align=center:2f71qlo0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=njr4ZJEPahU#at=12[/align:2f71qlo0]

TL

Looks amazing!!!!   :16:

TrekMD

Joe has posted a major update today for the game:

QuoteGet ready... for the next feature packed update!

What's new:
You can now use SELECT to choose a starting level (L=1-9) during the climbing sequence.
The buttons on both the left and right controllers can be used to jump. What's this good for? It can be used for simple cooperative game play, where one player (left) controls Mario's direction, while the other player (right) controls jumping.
You now have to use the elevator. As per Ivan's suggestion, the width of the right elevator shaft has been increased at the top. You can still jump over the left shaft, but not over the right one anymore.
A heart for fiery fiends: enemies killed with the hammer will be re-spawned. In the girder stage the interval will decrease with the level. Be prepared to kill more than one fireball from level 2 on. In the rivet stage the flame is re-spawned when the hammer is gone.
And... the pie factory got smoothly moving telescope ladders, which will make you more nervous when getting to the second conveyor.
Enjoy!

[center:1yw9cz1a]

[size=150]Download Here[/size][/center:1yw9cz1a]

Vadergb

I've been playing this for a while but it's nice it gets a regular bump. This version is amazing on the 2600 hardware. I usually play it on the Wii homebrew chanel or Retropie.