New Virtual Boy game released, first in 16 years!

Started by AmigaJay, December 12, 2012, 22:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmigaJay

[align=center:k8tbpyig][size=360]Bound High[/size]
[size=240]Nintendo Virtual Boy[/size]

[size=140]Bound High was a Virtual Boy game that was scrapped when the Virtual Boy itself was killed off by Nintendo. Virtual Boy owners never got the chance to play the game...until today. 14 years later, fans have managed to scrape together the source code and cram it into existing Virtual Boy carts. They even put together boxart-art, cartridge stickers and instruction booklets.[/size]

[size=180]LINK![/size][/align:k8tbpyig]
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2018

TL

Very cool indeed!  8)

(even if the VB is terrible!)

AmigaJay

I still have a fond place in my heart for it, yes it was too early released, yes it was supposed to be worn as a headset, yes it's black and red, and yes Nintendo royally fucked up the launch and marketing of it.......but! I did enjoy playing with mine, it's still unique to this day even with the 3ds this still immerses you in a way that doesn't, glad to gear more games are on the way.
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2018

TL

Quote from: "AmigaJay"I still have a fond place in my heart for it, yes it was too early released, yes it was supposed to be worn as a headset, yes it's black and red, and yes Nintendo royally fucked up the launch and marketing of it.......but! I did enjoy playing with mine, it's still unique to this day even with the 3ds this still immerses you in a way that doesn't, glad to gear more games are on the way.

I played on one at Jagfest UK back in 2006 and it gave me a serious headache so that really put me off. Still cool to see a quirky system like this get new games though.

Did you like my edit of your original post?  :P

AmigaJay

Quote from: "The Laird"
Quote from: "AmigaJay"I still have a fond place in my heart for it, yes it was too early released, yes it was supposed to be worn as a headset, yes it's black and red, and yes Nintendo royally fucked up the launch and marketing of it.......but! I did enjoy playing with mine, it's still unique to this day even with the 3ds this still immerses you in a way that doesn't, glad to gear more games are on the way.

I played on one at Jagfest UK back in 2006 and it gave me a serious headache so that really put me off. Still cool to see a quirky system like this get new games though.

Did you like my edit of your original post?  :P
Yeah I agree it's not something youc an play for more than 30 mins at a time, but yes it's nice to see failed systems have new homebrew and unreleased games come out.

Yeah nice edit! I was kinda hoping you would! Too much fiddling in my ipad for that plus I'm too lazy! Ta!

DreamcastRIP

Great stuff. Love seeing boxed homebrew releases for cartridge-based retro consoles.
Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

TL

Quote from: "DreamcastRIP"Great stuff. Love seeing boxed homebrew releases for cartridge-based retro consoles.

It's not a homebrew, it's an unreleased game from back in the day.

AmigaJay

DreamcastRIP

Quote from: "The Laird"
Quote from: "DreamcastRIP"Great stuff. Love seeing boxed homebrew releases for cartridge-based retro consoles.

It's not a homebrew, it's an unreleased game from back in the day.

Well, obviously. I was referring to the quote in the OP where it states, "fans have managed to scrape together the source code and cram it into existing Virtual Boy carts. They even put together boxart-art, cartridge stickers and instruction booklets."

The game itself may not be homebrew but the game's release, like I said, is a homebrew release.
Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Rogue Trooper

*sigh* (well, you cannot have an obviousil without a sigh and vice versa)   :24:

Shadowrunner

Quote from: "AmigaJay"http://www.retrocollect.com/News/street-fighter-ii-hyper-fighting-unofficially-hits-the-virtual-boy.html

Nice, shows what could have been done with the console had it been marketed better.

Very impressive!

Alberto 2K

Yeah, very nice to see Street Fighter II on the VB, another great device for premature visual problems!
Don't be surprised, my broken English is legendary!

DreamcastRIP

Quote from: "AmigaJay"http://www.retrocollect.com/News/street-fighter-ii-hyper-fighting-unofficially-hits-the-virtual-boy.html

Nice, shows what could have been done with the console had it been marketed better.

Oh dear! It would appear from the postings elsewhere on the internet by a Nintendo UK marketing manager that the writer of that linked article has been rumbled for having faked the screenshot!  :21:

:24: :24: :24:

Rogue Trooper

Quote from: "DreamcastRIP"

Oh dear! It would appear from the postings elsewhere on the internet by a Nintendo UK marketing manager that the writer of that linked article has been rumbled for having faked the screenshot!  :24: :24: Comedy gold!  :24: :24:

AmigaJay

Yeah the screenshot was faked but the demo is real, only runs on real hardware, pity wanted to try it out on retroarch!