Favourite two player games.

Started by zapiy, December 12, 2012, 20:04:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zapiy

What's your favourite 2 player gamers, any genre.

Kick off 2 - Amiga
Super Mario Kart - SNES
Maze craze - Atari 2600
BMX Simulator - Spectrum
Speedball 2 - Amiga

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TL

Where do I start?

Most of mine would be beat 'em ups as me and brother have played pretty much every single one on MAME and I own all the 2-player ones for the Mega Drive.

Sports wise it would be wrestling and footy games - especially the modern WWE games and Fire Pro on the Saturn for wrestling. Sensible Soccer and the ISS/PES games for football.

Puzzle games then it would be stuff like Tetris, Baku Baku, Super Puzzle Fighter and Puzzle Bobble.

Thinking about it though most of my favourite 2-player experiences are on the Atari Lynx because ComLynx is just a whole new world of awesomeness that is almost impossible to describe. Xenophobe, Xybots, Rampage, Zarlor Mercenary, Rampart, Double Dragon, Checkered Flag and California Games (to name but a few) come into a world of their own in this environment!

Vyothric

2 player specifically? or multiplayer? (4-player+)

zapiy

Fill your boots mate just separate them.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Shadowrunner

I don't play well with others  :P
But when I must I have enjoyed playing 2 player puzzle games. Something about dumping blocks on the other persons screen really appeals to me lol

DreamcastRIP

Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

guest4451

God, I could probably spend a week typing up all of my favourites! But I feel I should single out Toejam and Earl for being probably one of the most unique 2-player experiences that there was (and is).

There's nothing quite like the sheer terror-inducing moment of your buddy opening a random present to find out it's actually rocket skates and not the fudge sundae you were hoping for. Or the feeling garnered from turning someone down after they ask you to share a life when they're out and you have one to spare.

Actually, you can tie a feeling to that - a dull pain in the arm care of the person using the controller next to you!

TL

Quote from: "Sureshot"God, I could probably spend a week typing up all of my favourites! But I feel I should single out Toejam and Earl for being probably one of the most unique 2-player experiences that there was (and is).

There's nothing quite like the sheer terror-inducing moment of your buddy opening a random present to find out it's actually rocket skates and not the fudge sundae you were hoping for. Or the feeling garnered from turning someone down after they ask you to share a life when they're out and you have one to spare.

Actually, you can tie a feeling to that - a dull pain in the arm care of the person using the controller next to you!

YES!!!!!!

I bloody love Toe Jam & Earl in 2-player mode!!

onthinice

Never played the 2-player mode of  Toe Jam and Earl. We did play a lot of 2-player Streets of Rage on the Mega Drive/Genesis and Final Fight on the Mega/SegaCD.

AmigaJay

Bloody hell these threads are getting harder to answer!  :P i won't include online games though!

A couple have already been mentioned

Bubble Bobble
Streets Of Rage 2

I'll chuck these in;
Supercars 2
Lemmings
Super Skidmarks
Doom (using 2 player link on ps1)
Speedball 2
Mario Kart DS local wifi
Bomberman
Golden Axe
Super Sprint
Indy Heat

There's just too many great multiplayer games!

F1 2011 (sorry not retro but been playing so much split screen with my son, it's great to have some split screen games back again we want more!)
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2018

Mire Mare

Some of my favourite C64 two player action.....

Bruce Lee
Ikari Warriors
TWOTEF
IK+
Spy vs Spy series
The Goonies
Gauntlet
BMX Simulator
Kick Start 2
Pitstop 2
International Soccer

More recently (this year!) I discovered Crack Down

Then there are these multiplayer games... more often than not it'd only be me and a mate playing though ....

Summer Games 1 & 2
Winter Games
World Games
Western Games

Havantgottaclue

Traz had a very good two player mode, with much mirth being caused by the random swapping of player paddles.

Wizball had an excellent two-player co-operative mode. As one player played Wizball and the other the Cat, the two roles were quite different, which kept things interesting.

Tachi

My wife and I have always enjoyed Streets of Rage 2 and Wiz n Liz together. Although there were less arguments with the latter as I am terrible for kicking the snot out of her on SoR2 lol
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of the infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far."
? H.P. Lovecraft

TrekMD

Though simple, I have always found Outlaw on the Atari 2600 to be a fun 2-player game.

[align=center:vx1n0ytl]Outlaw for the Atari 2600[/align:vx1n0ytl]

There's also a hombrew title inspired by Outlaw, Gunfight.  I haven't played this version, though.

[align=center:vx1n0ytl]Gunfight - Atari 2600 Homebrew[/align:vx1n0ytl]

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

TL

Quote from: "DreamcastRIP"Bubble Bobble.

^Great shout!

And the sequels too Rainbow Islands, Parasol Stars and Bubble Symphony.

Also along the same lines:

Rodland
Snow Bros.
Tumble Pop
Mario Bros.
Ice Climber