Games that you would love to hack!

Started by TL, November 30, 2012, 17:26:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

Another game that I'd love to see hacked is Activision's Seaquest. I don't want it hacked because the game has issues. On the contrary, the game is great. I would love to see it hacked into a 2600 game for seaQuest DSV! The sub could be changed and the fish could be changed into enemy subs.   :)

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

TL

I am really surprised nobody has done that actually!

TrekMD

So am I!  It is just perfect for a graphics hack.  I'd be happy with just that, though I'd welcome a title screen and some notes of the theme. 

TrekMD

Another game that needs to be hacked is Galaxian on the Atari 5200.  This game looks nice but the gameplay needs some serious fixing.  This game should have been fantastic on the 5200 and it is one of the very few bad titles for the system.

TL

Not to mention the awful sound, its the same as the crappy A8 version!

TrekMD

Yep, I don't know how they screwed this game up so badly.  I'm also surprised no one has hacked it. 

TL

[align=center:8z5dk1sk]I would love to see an 7800 XM hack of Xenophobe that adds in the Yamaha music from the Atari ST version!

Xenophobe - Atari 7800

Skip to 34:40 to hear the ST music:

Top 10 Atari ST Tunes

I happen to know the person who composed this music so it would be easy to get permission to use it too.[/align:8z5dk1sk]

TrekMD

An XM upgrade to Xenophobe would be great.  I know there are plans for a Dig Dug XM version, though!  :)

TL

Quote from: "TrekMD"An XM upgrade to Xenophobe would be great.  I know there are plans for a Dig Dug XM version, though!  :)

Probably because it's easy to rip the POKEY sound from the A8 version, they could do that with quite a few games.

TrekMD

Quote from: "The Laird"
Quote from: "TrekMD"An XM upgrade to Xenophobe would be great.  I know there are plans for a Dig Dug XM version, though!  :)

TL

Ah right, maybe the arcade game used a Yamaha chip then, quite likely given it's a Japanese game actually.

TrekMD

Here is a game that would benefit from a good hack, Space War on the Atari 2600.  Even if there aren't many changes made to its gameplay, the graphics can definitely be spruced up to make a better looking game.  A black background, maybe even with some stars, nicer ships, better explosions.  Given what the 2600 has been pushed to do, enhancing Space War should be quite doable.   :)

Vyothric

There are a couple of games that I would like really like to hack.

Playing console FPS games is a frustrating experience, like playing with one hand tied behind your back. There is only one control setup that I don't mind. That is the Goldeneye setup. Analogue stick to move/turn, C-Buttons to strafe. However, some N64 games chose not to do this for some dumb reason. With Armorines in particular not being on any other system, I would like to hack the rom to change the controls then play it on my Everdrive.

I didn't think changing the button mapping would be too difficult as the game already has several options available, just not the right one. Apparently it is though as I've asked around.

With other consoles I can just physically rewire the buttons, but I can't do that in this case as I want to change what the analogue stick does.

TrekMD

We've listed some games that would benefit from hacks for issues with controllers.  It's amazing how poor programming for controlling a game can have a negative impact with the enjoying said game. 

TL

Simple little hack this but a fun one, what about changing Xenophobe into Aliens and changing the characters to Sigourney Weaver, Corporal Hicks, Private Vasquez and Bishop etc.?