Games that you would love to hack!

Started by TL, November 30, 2012, 17:26:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

108 Stars

I like the idea of Atari Karts with more known Atari characters. Granted, many of the famous Atari characters are actually 3rd party properties (like Pac-Man or Pitfall Harry), but in an official hack that wouldn't matter.

I'd also add weapons. It could have been a great game, and weapons would make it even more like Mario Kart, but it would definitely add to the fun imo.

Another game I'd like to hack:

Universal Soldier for MD.
I'd like to hack it back to Turrican 2. This means changing a few sprites (not many actually), and changing the order of the levels.

The stages not in the original Turrican 2 would be removed (they really suck), and I'd make some gameplay tweaks: I'd add hit feedback (short invincibility or being pushed back a bit when hit by an enemy; I really hate it how Turrican 1 & 2 have enemies run through you draining life with no reaction from the player sprite) and I'd deactivate the d-pad for jumping; as it is you can jump by both pressing up and by pushing a button, it's very irritating.

There are also shoot'em up stages missing from that port, but I think that would require more than a hack could do.

The hit-feedback and jump-control I'd also hack into Turrican 1 on MD.
Systems owned: Atari 2600, Lynx, Jaguar, NES, SNES, N64, GameBoy, Master System, Mega Drive, Dreamcast, Game Gear, PlayStation, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable, Xbox, Wonderswan

TL

A few more:

Mercs - Sega Megadrive

This game is probably one of the best on the system but would be even better if a 2-player mode was added!

Pit-Fighter - Atari Lynx

To add in all the missing speech, the missing intro sequence and forklifts between levels.

Off The Wall - Atari 2600

Add support for the paddle controllers!

Rogue Trooper

Headhunter:Redemption (PS2/Xbox)-Those damn controls! shooting was all over the shop and the interesting concept of a swaying gunsight was U/S in hectic shoot out's.

Gran Turismo games on PS2-Replace the brainless CPU car driver A.I with something far more agressive+smart.

Sega Tour Challenge (Saturn) yet ANOTHER racing game with terrible, over sensitive steering and i'd sort out the visuals, lock frame rate, tidy up textures etc.

TrekMD

I'll add to this wishlist Centipede for the Atari Lynx since it was not completed! 

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Shadowrunner

I would love to hack Road Rash for the 3DO. It has an incredible soundtrack by real artists but you can only listen to the songs in the menus before the race starts. Once you start playing you're left with generic music that is no where near as good. I've always been baffled by this so I would hack it so you could listen to the awesome songs while racing!

TrekMD

I should have included this before.  Mr. Do! for the 2600 really needs to be hacked to make two changes:  remove the green bar at the bottom of the screen to use up the space for "dirt" and take advantage of the extra vertical space so that you can actually dig tunnels next to each other horizontally.

[align=center:1nex358k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF_ZOTu2ef4[/align:1nex358k]

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

nakamura

Quote from: "Shadowrunner"I would love to hack Road Rash for the 3DO. It has an incredible soundtrack by real artists but you can only listen to the songs in the menus before the race starts. Once you start playing you're left with generic music that is no where near as good. I've always been baffled by this so I would hack it so you could listen to the awesome songs while racing!

This was down to the limitations of the 3DO at the time. It couldn't stream the game and the music at once. Pity they didn't fix it for the PS1 and Saturn versions.

Fantastic game.

Shadowrunner

Quote from: "nakamura"
Quote from: "Shadowrunner"I would love to hack Road Rash for the 3DO. It has an incredible soundtrack by real artists but you can only listen to the songs in the menus before the race starts. Once you start playing you're left with generic music that is no where near as good. I've always been baffled by this so I would hack it so you could listen to the awesome songs while racing!

This was down to the limitations of the 3DO at the time. It couldn't stream the game and the music at once. Pity they didn't fix it for the PS1 and Saturn versions.

Fantastic game.

Thanks for the explanation, never knew why it was that way. Fantastic game indeed!

TL

You what would be really cool, to hack a Road Rash game into Street Hawk!!!!  :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCItnKrXvMM

Shadowrunner

WOW!!! I have not heard of or seen that show for years! Completely forgot it even existed lol. That would be cool though, and thanks for the trip down memory lane  ;)

Rogue Trooper

Quote from: "nakamura"

Fantastic game.

Was this due to the type of CD drive used? i recal talk of the SNES CD drive using the newer CD-ROM XA technology, which let the drive access compressed audio, video+ data all at the same time.

Assume in order to keep costs down, 3DO just used std double speed CD drive?.

Mind you the original (concept) design for 3DO had it with NO optical drive, more of a cable TV type set top box.

Rogue Trooper

I'd hack into:

Apocalypse (Amiga) gorgeous looking Choplifter affair, soured by it's difficulty (Huge gun firing shells, that would just drop out of nowhere, so you could be destroyed before you'd even taken off!), and controls were just too damn sluggish.

Cannon Fodder (various) for starters i'd STOP those damn RPG firing soliders from shooting you when they are off screen and your wading through water like a sloth drowning in treacle.

How the fook you were supposed to stand a chance with odds like these again'st you, i'll never know.

TL

Quote from: "Rogue Trooper"Cannon Fodder (various) for starters i'd STOP those damn RPG firing soliders from shooting you when they are off screen and your wading through water like a sloth drowning in treacle.

How the fook you were supposed to stand a chance with odds like these again'st you, i'll never know.

Great shout that one!!!!  8)

Rogue Trooper

Quote from: "The Laird"
Quote from: "Rogue Trooper"Cannon Fodder (various) for starters i'd STOP those damn RPG firing soliders from shooting you when they are off screen and your wading through water like a sloth drowning in treacle.

Great shout that one!!!!  8)

Played it on Amiga and later Jaguar and too this very day, i've NO idea who thought it'd be fun to have the player put in a situation where not only was their movement speed reduced to a point where they were at a great disadvantage, but to add to their troubles Rocket propelled grenades, being fired from a vantage point the player could'nt see.

I know war is meant to be hell, but here Sensible Software became bloody absurd software, it killed more than my troops, it killed any interest i had in trying the sequel.

Katzkatz

Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge(Amiga) - to stop the other cars from being able to go through the signs on the road!!!

X-Com : UFO Defense & Terror From the Deep(PC and PS1 versions) - Make it so that your first base is set out properly!  That means having the airlock in between all of the ship's hangars!  Makes defence easier and also saving you both time and money because you don't have to do it yourself!  It was sort of fixed with the add-on utility.Â