0 (0%)
32X
0 (0%)
Nomad
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: February 13, 2012, 21:21:08 PM

TL

Not surprised to see the Megadrive ahead but thought it might be a bit closer.

dcultrapro

probably because more people on here were young when they got their MD... I was a bit late and as I got my DC from Launch and pored a lot of time and effort into it its definitely my fave lol
Ultrapro on xbox live

onthinice

The Megadrive/Genesis for me. Two words: Blast Processing. ;D

dcultrapro

Ultrapro on xbox live

TL

Quote from: "dcultrapro"lol, "Blast Processing"  :o

The funny thing is that there is actually a very small amount of truth to it! The term is refering to the fact the Mega Drive / Genesis does everything through it's main processor on a fast 16-bit bus, the only hardware assistance is for scrolling and sound. The Motorola 68000 CPU in the MD is clocked at 7.6 Mhz and is incredibly efficient. The SNES uses a set of custom chips to take the work load off the super slow CPU, a 65816 clocked at just 3.5 Mhz (same speed as the ZX Spectrum!).  To make things worse the SNES only has an 8-bit data bus which slows things down further putting an even bigger workoad on the custom chips. This is another reason why SNES games often had an extra processor on the cartridge, making them more expensive. The SNES never could have done a Sonic game like the Mega Drive because it just wasn't fast enough and this the story behind "Blast Processing" in technical terms!

dcultrapro

awesome, pretty interesting stuff, all that technical detail stuff is way out of my league lol, I understand what your saying but if I were to try and remember all that and understand meaning behind it, it wouldn't work
Ultrapro on xbox live

TL

Quote from: "dcultrapro"awesome, pretty interesting stuff, all that technical detail stuff is way out of my league lol, I understand what your saying but if I were to try and remember all that and understand meaning behind it, it wouldn't work

Simple terms:

Mega Drive = FAST

SNES = SLOW

;D

dcultrapro

got it lol

but yeah, I still think the DC was the best, but I will, one day, go into more details as to which consoles are my fave on my channel ;)
Ultrapro on xbox live

Shadowrunner

It was a tough decision between the Mega Drive and the Dreamcast but in the end I chose the Dreamcast.

onthinice

Ok!
But do you not just like to say Blast Processing? Much better than Now you are Playing with Power.

dcultrapro

Ultrapro on xbox live

zapiy

Dreamcast is the best for me, mainly down to the complete package that it offers. Small and powerful, perfect controllers, games catalogue, online gaming. It pretty much was a complete console package.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

dcultrapro

yeah it was the nuts, and yesterday I just realised what a dumass I was being with my current setup

Ok so I moved my DC to the Spare room where my uber powerful pc is, I did this so I could easily capture my video, and the pc is more efficient and more powerful than my laptop so it made sense

so at the moment I've only been playing my dc (and all the other consoles I wanna capture from) via RCA which connects to a USB dongle and then I watch it on the PC via the capture software.

I realised yesterday that my pc connects to the awesome Hanns-g monitor that I have via DVI and that the VGA port is being completely neglected and so I have now set it up so I can hot swap between the RCA to pc and the VGA to monitor whenever I need to (for when games don't support 60hz or when I wanna capture), I was playing Gunlord in all its wonderful VGA Glory last night. and as the monitor has built in speakers I just plug it in that... so yeah, it was awesome.

I also hooked it back up to the broadband so I could play PSO online again as the hub is right next to my monitor, it all makes PERFECT sense now!!
Ultrapro on xbox live