Lets Compare: Moon Patrol

Started by TL, November 03, 2012, 14:14:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

Nice set of comparisons.  This is another fun game.  I suppose we could add a video of Space Patrol for the INTV.  :)

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

zapiy

Amazing how many versions there are to be honest.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

TL

I think I am most impressed by that excellent ColecoVision version!  :o

That Spectrum version is downright terrible though  >:(

Rogue Trooper

Only ever played the 2600 version and that was many, many years ago.Used to love it, but i could have sworn game had music...vids here just have s.fx.

TL

Quote from: "Rogue Trooper"Only ever played the 2600 version and that was many, many years ago.Used to love it, but i could have sworn game had music...vids here just have s.fx.

Some of those versions do have music, 5200 for a start

Rogue Trooper

As part of the Spy Hunter/Moon Patrol GBC review from Arcade mag (2/5)

'this game won't interest anyone other than video game historians' (and the call the cart a 'double-dissapointment'

Ouch!

onthinice

Is Moon Patrol on the Pal release Midway Arcade Hits II for the DreamCast?

sloan

Being a collector of so many systems, I have learned to appreciate the different flavors of games on different consoles. The intriguing thing to me with the comparison video is the ability to do parallax scrolling by some of the earliest systems. Even the VCS seems capable of some pseudo-parallax.

The MSX version strikes me as the most visually pleasing, and the Spectrum variant is certainly high contrast with the bright colour pallet.

Also of note: I think I read once that the Intellivision was derived from the Spectrum, and the colour pallets are definitely similar between those two.

I recently picked up Space Patrol for INTV and cannot say enough good things about that version of the game.

TL

Quote from: "sloan"Also of note: I think I read once that the Intellivision was derived from the Spectrum, and the colour pallets are definitely similar between those two.

The Spectrum came out several years after the Intellivision and has very different architecture so I think you might be getting mixed up.

davyk

Love Moon Patrol - I could do the beginner course and get half-way through the champ course on 1 credit in the arcade.

Have never played a console version

TrekMD

You should try some of these home versions, dav.  The 5200 version is very good and Space Patrol on the Intellivision is also very well done.

TL

Interestingly this game was originally due to be a release game for the Atari 7800 and was reportedly finished. Nobody really knows why it wasn't released, I read somewhere that Atari apparently didn't know how to market it. But I would say that is very doubtful given that the Tramiels didn't market anything! I would say that it's more likely that the license ran out and Atari didn't want to renew it. Shame because it probably would have been the definitive version.

TrekMD

Wow, that would have been a fantastic version on the 7800.  Too bad it didn't happen!