Let's Compare: Gauntlet

Started by TL, November 03, 2012, 14:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

I honestly found Gauntlet to be disappointing because I was expecting an arcade port.  The game is not that as the concept from the arcade was changed.  Gauntlet II, on the other hand, is a significantly better port that even has speech.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

sloan

Y, I guess I could understand a small bit of disappointment if you expected arcade-closeness on Gauntlet for NES. It still never struck me as a bad port, despite lack of voices. Like I have said on VCS games, I never went into home games back then expecting arcade-closeness. I was always just glad to be able to play them at home. Best fun we had was my son and I in co-op sessions on both those titles. Just the fun factor of the multi-player experience overshadowed any subtle differences between the home and arcade versions.

TrekMD

Yeah, NES Gauntlet is not quite the same as on the arcade (and I don't mean just the lack of voice).  It's still a fun game but, as an arcade port, I expected it to be closer that the original version.  They simply did a much better job with Gauntlet II no matter how you look at it.  :)

TL

I also LOVE Gauntlet Legends on the Arcade/Sega Dreamcast/Sony PlayStation:

Gauntlet Legends Dreamcast Lets Play - Part 1

TrekMD

I had never seen that before.  Looks like one cool game!

TL

Quote from: "TrekMD"I had never seen that before.  Looks like one cool game!

It is excellent, I have the Dreamcast version.

The follow up to it was Gauntlet: Dark Legacy in the arcades, later released on PS2 and Game Cube:

Let's Play Gauntlet: Dark Legacy (Part 1)

TrekMD

Oh wow, cool.  I didn't realize Gauntlet had spawned these sequels.

TL

Here is a trailer for the Nintendo DS version:

Gauntlet Trailer: Nintendo DS

This version was announced, previewed and even reviewed in several magazine but strangely never released despite getting a very good reception.

Then all of a sudden the complete but unreleased prototype version was released into the wild just last week!

TrekMD

You have to wonder what happened that it did not have its official release.  Also have to wonder how the prototype saw light!  I must say I like the approach they took for it!

Bobinator

According to the source I found the prototype from (One of my other gaming forums), somebody received it from a person who wished to be anonymous.

I want to personally thank that guy, though, because that's a really kind, classy move of him. If only other people could be that thoughtful. Sigh...

Haven't played the prototype yet, but I've heard good things.

TrekMD

I need to find it so I can try it out.