Let's Compare: Gauntlet

Started by TL, November 03, 2012, 14:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tachi

Hahaha..those ghosts look hilarious!
I agree though, it looks more like Druid or Feud than Gauntlet!
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of the infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far."
? H.P. Lovecraft

TrekMD

So, do these 2 versions of G3 have the same "story" or are they different in that respect as well?

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

TL

Quote from: "TrekMD"So, do these 2 versions of G3 have the same "story" or are they different in that respect as well?

Totally different. But then you have to remember that Gauntlet 3 on the Lynx was originally called Time Quests & Treasure Chests before Epyx sold the Lynx to Atari and the license was added to it.

TrekMD

So, if you own both you essentially have two different games with the same name.

TL

Quote from: "TrekMD"So, if you own both you essentially have two different games with the same name.

I got confused, its the Mega Drive version that uses the same artwork as the Lynx version:

TrekMD

Rogue Trooper

Gauntlet 2 improved greatly on the 1st game on C64, but whilst i know it was reviewed and Tim Follin did the music, was Gauntlet 3 ever released on C64?.

Gauntlet 4 on MD, i loved, fantastic game, fantastic music.

Druid on C64 the same, had 2-player Co-op type aspect if i recal, 2nd player could control the Golem, once he was cast?.

TL

Quote from: "Rogue Trooper"Gauntlet 2 improved greatly on the 1st game on C64, but whilst i know it was reviewed and Tim Follin did the music, was Gauntlet 3 ever released on C64?.

Gauntlet 4 on MD, i loved, fantastic game, fantastic music.

Druid on C64 the same, had 2-player Co-op type aspect if i recal, 2nd player could control the Golem, once he was cast?.

Yes Gauntlet 3 came out on all the major home computers.

TL

A new video that is ideal for showing just how bloody fantastic Gauntlet II is on the Atari ST:

Gauntlet 2 (Atari ST)

TrekMD

That does look superb!  Gauntlet II did get better ports on home systems than the original game.  Even the NES version is far superior than Gauntlet. 

Greyfox

yes the Atari ST produce near perfect conversions, the only issue I found with both from the Arcade original was the scrolling was jerky and a bit of slow down in places, but that didn't matter , as simply having a near perfect arcade conversion in your computer room was enough to ignore the programming flaws and the Amiga version fairs no better, again St porting going on.

An epic and classic game.

TL

Quote from: "Greyfox"yes the Atari ST produce near perfect conversions, the only issue I found with both from the Arcade original was the scrolling was jerky and a bit of slow down in places, but that didn't matter , as simply having a near perfect arcade conversion in your computer room was enough to ignore the programming flaws and the Amiga version fairs no better, again St porting going on.

An epic and classic game.

Gauntlet had some dodgy scrolling in parts but Gauntlet 2 is faultless, better than the Amiga version too as it plays a bit faster and has clearer sound ;)

Greyfox

You would say that :24:, but in this case you are actually right, I would myself actually prefer to play the Atari ST, but sticks and stones, but isn't Gauntlet 2 simply great no matter what computer it's on?

That's what it's all about!!!! the beautiful games!!!!

[size=40]Amiga rulez forever......mooohaaaahhhhhh.....no, the Atari ST is great as well[/size]

TrekMD

Quote from: "Greyfox"[size=40]Amiga rulez forever......mooohaaaahhhhhh.....no, the Atari ST is great as well[/size]

Had to get a magnifying glass but   :21:

sloan

NES versions of Gauntlet and Gauntlet 2 were many good times for me and my son.

Gauntlet - NES Gameplay

Gauntlet II - NES Gameplay