Let's Compare: Gauntlet

Started by TL, November 03, 2012, 14:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TL

Rather strange one this as it's missing loads of versions of the original game but includes some of the sequels  :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n68iW1WAucQ

Here is the arcade perfect Atari ST version that is missing from this video (sadly no sound though):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9ln2umAFfM

Greyfox

To me the Atari ST will all be the closest thing ever to the arcade original, made me at the time completely believe that the Atari ST could handle any arcade port out there, I was always blaming the other arcade ports on bad programming from the different software house back then and to be true, allot of ports where complete shite and where not handled the way they should have been, and Gauntlet is a perfect example of how it should been done.

only recently finished a Gauntlet, 2 page spread for my book and really enjoyed having to play it over again for the screenshots etc..even now the game reeks brilliance and superb gameplay.

zapiy

Iconic game.. Brilliant to see and compare what some of the versions look like.. Have to agree the ST version does look amazing.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

Wow, that ST version is truly impressive!  The best version of Gauntlet that I now have to play is the GBA! 

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

TL

My personal favourite version of Gauntlet is the second one on the ST, because of the 4 player mode and amazing speech.

Gauntlet IV on the Mega Drive is also superb though, I love the extra 1-player game modes in that.

Havantgottaclue

I remember getting Guantlet 2 on the C64 when it came out on budget. I had already played it on my friend's Spectrum and was expecting great things. Sadly I was disappointed - the C64 version is sluggish and lacks the nice clearly-defined graphics of the Spectrum version.

Minerals

the ST version was always my favourite

Tachi

God I love Gauntlet, in my Top 10 definitely.
I have it on all the formats I can get it on, hell I bought a Lynx purely for it lol
Lovely comparison video, really shows the difference between them all but the C64 always will hold a special place in my heart :)
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of the infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far."
? H.P. Lovecraft

TrekMD

Quote from: "Tachi"God I love Gauntlet, in my Top 10 definitely.
I have it on all the formats I can get it on, hell I bought a Lynx purely for it lol
Lovely comparison video, really shows the difference between them all but the C64 always will hold a special place in my heart :)

Did you get the Atari 5200 version?

Tachi

Quote from: "TrekMD"
Quote from: "Tachi"God I love Gauntlet, in my Top 10 definitely.

Did you get the Atari 5200 version?

Don't have a 5200 so no, am I missing out?
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of the infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far."
? H.P. Lovecraft

TrekMD

Sadly, no, you are not.  It is a brave attempt but the game is difficult the play as the scrolling is horrible.

TL

Definately not! It's pretty awful, I played it via emulation.

Screenshots:

Tachi

Lol...that's fantastic lol
Reminiscent of Storm on the C64 although Storm rocked!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-pTWWwRNhro
? H.P. Lovecraft

TrekMD

If you like Gauntlet, though, there is going to be a similar game released for the 7800XM.

TL

It is strange that there are also 2 completely different Gauntlet 3 games that both share the same artwork, the Lynx version and the home computer version.

The latter version used an isometric 3D viewpoint and never really felt like a Gauntlet game to me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF2ZRsUydjI