Games For Halloween!

Started by TL, October 29, 2012, 14:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TL

[align=center:1s4sb52n]So Halloween is here and there have been plenty of scary games over the years. Do you play horror based games on Halloween? If so what are your favourites?

Here are some of mine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CkpcZTa7MA

Cauldron II - Sinclair Spectrum

My sister used to insist that we played this game when we were kids, I always hated it but she loved and would play it for ages despite the fact she would always end up shouting at the game after several unfair deaths!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tea1HjWeVXk

Dracula: The Undead - Atari Lynx

One of the very few good games out there based on a horror movie the Lynx version of Dracula has some genuinely scary moments, amazing atmosphere, fabulous graphics and enough gameplay to last through the night!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEhFFU_vRZE

Alien Vs. Predator - Atari Jaguar

Not strictly a horror game but probably the most scary game I have ever played. Alien Vs. Predator manages to create some amazing atmosphere and there is nothing more scary than when you hear the cackle of the Predator as he creeps up on you![/align:1s4sb52n]

zapiy

The best would have to be Resident Evil. It's not aged to well but when it was a new title nothing scared me as much as that game.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Rogue Trooper

(2nd attempt.1st try never made it to the thread.)

Built up good few over the years, earliest would have to be 3D Monster Maze (ZX81), what that game achived on such primitive hardware, still amazes me to this day. Great to see Jag AVP mentioned, hearing Predators mocking whisper sent chills down my spine.Also worthy of mention:System Shock 2 and Clive Barkers Undying on PC-Great use of audio to create atmosphere, sound so often sadly an ignored medium in games.

Platoon (C64)-Tunnel sections, blood thirsty VC leaping out of the water, right at your throat was a pant changer.

Xcom (PS1) superb music and real feeling of creeping dread on missions as you never knew what was lying in wait and the greatest fear? INCOMING!!! Blaster Launcher missile zig-zagging it's way to your squad.

Mire Mare

Chiller on the c64.  Loosely, well all right, completely based on Michael Jackson's Thriller.  Fun, challenging and playable.  For a short time anyway.

I guess Res Evil on the GC would be a good one to play on Halloween too.

Shadowrunner

Have to agree with resident evil, up to 4 anyway. The ones after that haven't been very good. Also can't go wrong with Doom. I seem to remember playing a game based on Friday the 13th on the NES too but I don't think it was very good.

DZ-Jay

Dracula on the Intellivision, and Silent Hill on the PS2.

Sent from my iPad, so igmore teh typpos and gramar errrors.

onthinice

Nice dzfoo!!! I do not have Dracula but have played it on an Intellivsion emulator.

TrekMD

Quote from: "onthinice"Nice dzfoo!!! I do not have Dracula but have played it on an Intellivsion emulator.

I've yet to play Dracula on the INTV...haven't gotten to it yet.  :)  Still have a lot of games to explore. 

Insofar as Halloween games, well, there's Halloween for the 2600 and Texas Chainsaw Massacre (special editions)!

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Bobinator

Welp, here comes the requsite DOS game. Sorry, it's in my contract.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfA2TF2JUD0

This is Monster Bash, from Apogee, released in the year 1993. It's a fantastic platformer with some great looking graphics. The sprites are huge on screen, and everything makes such a great use of the limited 16 color pallete that you'd swear the game was running VGA. There's also some great music and a lot of digitized sound effects. More importantly, the game controls well, constantly throws new stuff at you, and has a ton of secret areas.

DZ-Jay

And what about Mail Order Monsters?  I remember that on the C=64.

dcultrapro

Evil Twin is a pretty spooky, unusual, dark and melancholied game for halloween... but probably the best one I can think of is Medievil on PS1
Ultrapro on xbox live

TrekMD

Quote from: "dcultrapro"Evil Twin is a pretty spooky, unusual, dark and melancholied game for halloween... but probably the best one I can think of is Medievil on PS1

I have Medievil for the PSP.  Fun game!

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Shadowrunner

Quote from: "TrekMD"
Quote from: "dcultrapro"Evil Twin is a pretty spooky, unusual, dark and melancholied game for halloween... but probably the best one I can think of is Medievil on PS1

I have Medievil for the PSP.  Fun game!

I downloaded that game on my Vita a while ago. Completely forgot about it but it's perfect for Halloween. Might have to play it a bit tonight.

Console Compulsive

It would have to be Soft and Cuddly for the ZX Spectrum. A weird game with twisted and sometimes quite sick graphics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soft_%26_Cuddly

Minerals

Venture on the 2600 always used to scare the shit out of me for some unknown reason!