Amiga CD32!

Started by Alberto 2K, October 26, 2012, 12:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alberto 2K

Hi guys, I recently bought one of these and I would like to ask you a couple of things.

In your opinion which are the best games for the system? I did a tiny list with Frontier and Super Skidmarks as my first must have titles but I never had any of the Amiga computers so I'm a bit lost..

I read that it's possible to attach an Amiga 2000 keyboard, Amiga compatible mouse and a floppy disk drive, any of you have this set up? Is it possible to play all the amiga games or just the 1200 ones??

Thanks in advance! ;)
Don't be surprised, my broken English is legendary!

TL

I believe its possible to play any Amiga games on it with the right attachments but there are several Amiga experts on here so I will wait for them to answer.

Games wise anything by The Bitmap Brothers, Team 17 or Sensible Software is good for a start!

dougtitchmarsh

Super Stardust is definitely worth trying for the CD32.
My retro and computing blog posts
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, 2600, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, GameGear, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, GBA, GB,  Xbox, 3DO,  WonderSwan,  NGPC, CD32, Amiga A1200, Spectrum 48k and +2, BBC B, C64

AmigaJay

Quote from: "Alberto 2K"Hi guys, I recently bought one of these and I would like to ask you a couple of things.

In your opinion which are the best games for the system? I did a tiny list with Frontier and Super Skidmarks as my first must have titles but I never had any of the Amiga computers so I'm a bit lost..

I read that it's possible to attach an Amiga 2000 keyboard, Amiga compatible mouse and a floppy disk drive, any of you have this set up? Is it possible to play all the amiga games or just the 1200 ones??

Thanks in advance! ;)

My top 20 would be;

Pinball fantasies nice Aga version with cd music
Super stardust
Beneath a steel sky with speech
Simon the sorcerer with speech
Banshee
Cannon fodder great on any system!
Fightin spirit decent beu
Flink
Gloom
Guardian
Gunship 2000
Int sensible soccer
Liberation
Nick fados golf
Pinball illusions
Roadkill
Shadow fighter
Theme park
Ultimate Super skidmarks
Worms

And microcosm is worth a quick play, even if to just see the amazing intro and graphics!

I have a blog post I made ages ago which list every cd32 game made with what extras it has over the Amiga version http://theamigacd32.blogspot.co.uk/

Regarding the keyboard yes you can, I used to have a cdtv keyboard, mouse and disk drive hooked up looked nice all in black! Any Amiga mouse will work.
The easiest way just to play without an expensive sx1 unit is buy a disk drive that sits on top of the cd32 they are sold on eBay every now and again, and yes it will play most ECS and Aga games, but you can't just plug a disk drive in the cd32 as it doesn't have a parallel port as standard.

Edit:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Commodore-Amiga-CD32-SX1-Paravision-CD32-to-A1200-/120894817131?pt=UK_VintageComputing_RL&hash=item1c25e4836b

Here's the sx1 unit which plugs into the back of the cd32, as you can see they are expensive are rarely drop below £200, but they do offer memory expansion, hdd or faster CPUs on some models....the other and cheaper option....
http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/search.pl?product=&company=analogic&amiga=&intf=&mid=&base=dec&pid=
Is this analogic drive which also plugs in the back but is only that a disk drive, not on eBay ATM but go for around £50 when they are.
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2018

zapiy

Only ever played Alien Breed: Tower Assault on one.. Would like to pick one up myself one day..

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Alberto 2K

Thank you very much for you responses pals! :)

I will take a look to some of the games of your top 20, I have some of them on the Jaguar but I'm sure these are better versions as they're the original versions, Theme Park for example is almost unplayable there when you reach high attendance... Battleship 2000 comes along with the console. :D
Those SX1-SX32 are way out of my range, with that prices is better to buy directly a 1200...

This is a really interesting console. :)

@zaipy: Some years ago the Amiga CD32 were at 80-100€ in brand new condition on eBay, as with many other things I thought they were going to be available forever at that price... I regret a lot not buying one then as today prices are much higher...

Thanks again to all for your inputs, I appreciate them much!

Alberto 2K

Zaipy, I forgot to tell you that here's a CD32 that it's still at a nice price and comes with a lot of games:

http://www.ebay.es/itm/160907829228?ssP ... 1062wt_932

I was going to bid on it but I finally decided to buy another one as the shipping to Spain is very expensive.

AmigaJay

Thanks for your comments!
Btw Simon the sorcerer and btss for that matter are both playable without a mouse, though in the long run its well worth getting a mouse!
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2018

zapiy

Yeah that is some awesome stuff Jay. How you never had a huge site dedicated to retro is beyond me with all your blog sites and so on.

Anyway cheers for that eBay link fella. Whacked a bid in. See what happens.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

AmigaJay

Quote from: "zapiy"Yeah that is some awesome stuff Jay. How you never had a huge site dedicated to retro is beyond me with all your blog sites and so on.

Anyway cheers for that eBay link fella. Whacked a bid in. See what happens.
Lol true, I did make other sites that no longer are around sadly, nowadays I'm playing more rather than writing or learning HTML!

zapiy

As offered before.. you know your welcome here and more mate..

I am still winning that bid alberto... ;)

Alberto 2K

Did you finally won the auction zapiy? If not take a look on eBay uk, there some of them there. :)

Are these internal HDs compatible with the CD32 or are just for the computers?

http://www.ebay.es/itm/Amiga-A600-1200- ... 799wt_1282

Can't wait to receive it!!

zapiy

I missed out on it. Was not willing to go as high as it ended up selling for. Will keep looking, I am sure I will get a bargain.

Shadowrunner

Some really cool looking games in that video. I imagine finding a NTSC version is pretty hard though. What exactly is the story on the CD32 in North America? I thought I read that it wasn't released in the US because of copyright but they did release it in limited numbers in Canada. Is that correct?