The Sega 32X

Started by TL, October 10, 2012, 19:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadowrunner

I really like Knuckles Chaotix. It's a little on the easy side but it looks great and it's just fun to play  :)

TrekMD

Quote from: "Shadowrunner"I really like Knuckles Chaotix. It's a little on the easy side but it looks great and it's just fun to play  :)

Cool.  So, maybe this is better than some reviewers make it seem.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Ben

I have to say, I'm a huge fan of Knuckles Chaotix.  I think the issue with it is that it's not a straight up Sonic game, it has some unique gameplay elements that make it different.  Some people like that, some people don't (especially those who "gotta go fast").  To me, Sonic CD had pushed the 2D Sonic formula as far as it could go, so mixing it up with the chained second character (and resulting piuzzle elements) was a nice change of pace.

Bobinator

Quote from: "Ben"I have to say, I'm a huge fan of Knuckles Chaotix.  I think the issue with it is that it's not a straight up Sonic game, it has some unique gameplay elements that make it different.  Some people like that, some people don't (especially those who "gotta go fast").  To me, Sonic CD had pushed the 2D Sonic formula as far as it could go, so mixing it up with the chained second character (and resulting piuzzle elements) was a nice change of pace.

It's definitely an interesting Sonic game, but I'm really not entirely sure, speaking as a Sonic fan, that I could say it's THAT good. It's incredibly short, and incredibly easy, too. Most of the levels are pretty much identical, which explains why you play them in a random order. There's no loops, no water, nothing really to set each level apart. All there really is to go forward and sometimes up, and there's nothing in the level that really gets in the way of that or helps you accomplish that.

There's some cool ideas in there, I will admit. I like the 3D bonus stages, even if it feels you're always falling off of stuff when you SHOULDN'T be. Figuring out the Combiring thing can help you get some really big speed boosts, and it's really fun to plays as Vector and climb all over everything. The music's pretty great, too, but that's to be expected from a Sonic game, really.

TrekMD

Go to 4:50 to check out the 32X box scans..

203 Sega CD & 32X Combined Box Art Scans

zapiy

https://youtu.be/-JKs0tu6Imk

We pick 10 of our favourite Sega 32X games.. Are they any you would change? If so please comment below or via these outlets below.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

Is there something missing in your post, Zap?

zapiy

The video lol, added now.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

zapiy

Quote from: Ben on June 29, 2014, 02:17:42 AM
I have to say, I'm a huge fan of Knuckles Chaotix.  I think the issue with it is that it's not a straight up Sonic game, it has some unique gameplay elements that make it different.  Some people like that, some people don't (especially those who "gotta go fast").  To me, Sonic CD had pushed the 2D Sonic formula as far as it could go, so mixing it up with the chained second character (and resulting piuzzle elements) was a nice change of pace.

@Ben was having a bash on this over the weekend. I actually quite liked it when I was expecting not to I think @Bobinator mentioned it was pretty easy and I found myself going through the game easily enough.. One I may well have to play on again.

Saturn

I have Knuckles in a box somewhere. Never played it at length because I didn't really like the 32X. After reading zapiy's post my interest is stoked. Will have to dig this out and give it a play or load it up in Fusion.
Probably the latter as I have no idea which box in which building it's in. Damn incomplete Excel inventory sheet..

zapiy

Yeah I was in Wales seeing some family and was shocked to see a cousin had it running and a few other retro systems.. Small world I thought but it turns out he was just testing them ready to sell on.

TrekMD

So, has anyone played these games?  Do you agree with the choices made on this video?

Shadowrunner

Those are all great games. I think Knuckles Chaotix should also be on any must own list for the 32X.

TrekMD

That is one game I do not have.  It is pretty expensive on Ebay!